Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Author
:   Paul Welsh
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Hertfordshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3013-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. An early photograph of Furzehill Road which today is an important and much used road link between Barnet Lane and Shenley Road. Telegraph poles along the side of the road are much in evidence, The Telephone Company opened an exchange at Elstree in 1905.

70. The Boreharn Wood Motor and Cycle Company were based at a shop that stood on the corner of Clarendon Road. It was demolished some years ago. The date of this photograph is unknown but it was probably taken between 1910 and 1920.

71. This photograph of loca1 workers was taken in the carpenters' shop at the Ideal Film Studio in about 1917. The studio was the fust to open at Elstree. 1t was constructed on a site off Clarendon Road, Boreham Wood in 1914 and was origina11y known as Neptune. 1t later underwent several name changes and was at one time run by Douglas Fairbanks junior. During the past 25 years it has been a relevision centre where productions such as 'The Muppet Show' have achieved world-wide distribution.

72. An early aerial sbot of two of Elstree's film studios. The one on the right was British International Pictures which remains today as Thorn-EMI EIstree Studios, althougb tbe buildings have been mucb altered. The building next door on the left was Britisb and Dominions, the first purpose built sound studio in Europe. It was destroyed by fire in 1936. In the top of the pbotographcan just be seen the old Bullbaiters Farm, now the site of a housing estate.

73. The dedication ceremony at the Elstree war memorialon 14th July 1921. The cerernony was conducted by the Reverend A.R.T. Eales. The large house in the background has now been demolished.

74. A front view of the British Internationai Pictures Studio surrounded by some of its stars from the 1920's. Many famous actors began their careers here including Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Hara, Anna Neagle, Ralph Richardson and Madeleine Carroll to mention a few.

75. A postcard view of EIstree High Street probably dating from the early 1920's. On the left in the foreground can be seen the Plough public house. The present building is believed to date from the early Victorian period. The trees on the right have long since been cut down.

76. A view of the Furzehill Road and Shenley Road junction. In the right foreground is the corner of the old Central Garage. The building on the 1eft at the bottom of Furzehill Road was used as shops until its demolition in the late 1960's. The junction now has traffic lights and the pavement in this part of Shenley Road is now much narrower.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,