Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   Joyce P. Fitch
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6141-1
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

39 The football team of 1904, shorts supported by belts or neckties, poses outside the Wellington pub. Standing centrally is D. Mills, landlord. with far right, Ernie Wright; seated bottom left is Arthur Ashby Now a Ridley's house, it was then owned by Brown's Brewery on the Green. The Official Handbook of the Cricket, Cyeling, Football &Athletie Clubs of Essex for 1907, lists the club's colours as light and dark blue with its headquarters, dressing room and ground at the Duke of Wellington. It had forty members and the cricket club thirtyfive, bath clubs playing at the same venue. Football was later played behind Shepherd's Cottage in Church Raad, then

on ground opposite Station Raad donated in 1 92 6 by Mr. N. de Bond afSpringfield House. Today, matches take place on the recreation ground (given by the Strutt family) with proposed plans

for three pitches in the Wickham Bishops Raad. Cricket is played in Church Raad (see No.60).

40 Beyond the Wellington pub stretehes the road to Witham and we stand outside the ten terraeed homes which were built in 1881. Their light-eoloured brieks eame from the briekfield, onee owned by Mr. Clover, which lay direetly behind the houses. Mr. E. Springett, now 96, reealls that his father, ]osiah, worked there. In this eard of 192 5 Mr. Walter Serivener sells flowers from his bungalow garden, a spot where none today would stop to buy. It stands close to the notoriously-dangerous slip raad on to the AI 2 bypass. Behind the hedge, opposite, Mr. Edgar Nettleton of Bovingtons Farm planted orehards of apples, plums, gages, pears and

cherries, and fields of soft fruit, on land that stretched to the Wickham Bishops Raad. Wamen piekers reeall passing plums over the hedge to 501diers ofthe GreatWar, convalescing at Bridge Hospital in

Witham and out for a walk. In 1994 'Smallacres' , the last remnant ofthis fruit-picking area, closed.

.. ~

41 We have returned to the Wellington publie house yard where we stand looking at the signpost pointing to Maldon Raad. The date is around

1916 and in the foreground on the left is the side of the newly-ereeted Nurses Home. Beyond the Home a white sheet flaps on a linen line in the baek garden of what is probably the house now ealled Stuarts and an elm tree stands silhouetted against the sky. Ta the right of the picture stand two more of the brickwalled Chestnut Cottages (now Ash Close) whieh may have taken their name from the ehestnut trees, then in the grounds ofTudor Lodge, and whieh still grow opposite. Beyond is the small shop kept

for rnany years by the Turpin family (see No. 43), while behind the distant picket fenee are the two houses known as Kimberley Cottages. The last house is Pretoria. There were then na further homes on the

right until just before the ParishRoom.

42 A stone tablet set into the wall ofthe bungalow, aptly-named 'Nightingales' and now a private dwelling, reads:

Ponsh Nurses Home erected byWalter Butler Esq., & presenred to the parish ]9]2-]9]9. A NursingAssociation had been starred in the village in 1904 when the uurse's yearly salary was 02 2s. 6d. and lodging allowanee set at f.,] 1 3s. Od. In October 1908 her fees for attending a patient were 1 d. a visit or 6d. per week. Three of the early parish, or district nurses, were nurses Cook, Hutchinson and Biggs. In this selfwritten postcard, District Nurse Rita Glanfield stands at the door of the Home. She taak up her post here in November 1930 and her daugh-

ter, Ilma, then a small girl, remembers that a concrete path was being laid to the front door in which she left a footprint. The path has since been replaced by slabs. Many peopie who still live in the village

today were delivered by one of the nurses named above.

43 The recently-erected house called Tanfield, near Ash Close in the Maldon Raad, stands on the site of Mr. Harold Lawrence's electrical shop, later Dr. Emerick's surgery. Directory entries spanning 1839-1899 show the shop, seen here behind an attractive picket fence, to have been occupied by a farnily called Turpin, the name displayed over the door in this photograph, possibly of 1899.ThomasTurpin, shopkeeper and grocer in 1 839, was succeeded by Mrs. Ann Turpin, his widow, and then by Miss Kezia Turpin, their daughter. In 1891, aged 69, Kezia is described as 'grocer and draper' and we know that she sold sweets, some casting

as little as a farthing and which she weighed out on scales. Miss Ellen Lawrence, only sister of'Iarnes (see No. 16), next had the business, and she too sold sweets. Liquorice allsorts, shoelaces, chocolate drops, treacle dabs, coconut haystacks, bullseyes and aniseed balls were there for the choosing.

44 Langford Cottages occupied the site in Maldon Raad where Stuarts stands today; during restoration in 1938 the date 1643 was found marked on a beam in the attic. In 1915, about the date of this card, it was occupied by the Crow, Bright and Wallace families, the last-named fami11' gaining access through a door at the back. The bow window marks an earlier Post Office as shown on a map of

1 876 and as recounted by Mrs. Crow to Miss N. Mal" Inside, a long counter ran from front to back and customers entered through the nearby door. Mr. Tom Crow and Mr. David Wright of the Wellington pub each owned a very fast pony and a light cart. Jim

Reeves of CheImsford joined them in a pony and cart three-horse race along the old A12, starting at the Black Boy (now Menzies shop) in Springfield Raad and ending at the Duke. It is not known

who won! Soldiers stabied their harses in sheds seen at the rear on the right.

45 White Hart Cottage, built about 1520 on the edge of comman land in Maldon Raad, was for at least three hundred years an inn or beerhouse. Francis Marchante of Hatfield Peverel was indicted for 'an annoyance' at the Chelmsford Quarter Sessions where it was recorded that: on 1 ]anuary 1606-7 ... he kept a comman inn at Hatfield Peverel called the White Hart. . . ond that the said inn had been a common inn from time out of mind ... What the 'annoyance' was we do not know. In March 1906, it was sold for

f 1 ,650 and described as: a free beerhouse, having a licence to sell end consume on the premises, with adjoining cottage und gardens. Taken early in this century, the photograph shows an unidentified

family in the front garden with open countryside beyond the porch. Mr. Arthur Bennett, by 1 89 S village school headmaster, later made this his horne and brought boys from school to help dig

his garden as part of their lessans (see No. SO).

46 We have moved a few yards along the Maldon Raad. On this card, dated 5th May 1916, the bungalow roof on the far left pinpoints Rosegien and beyond is the chimney of the Nurse 's Home. At right angles to the road are Cheshunt Cottage and Garden Cottage, both much the same today. Langford Cottages, seen in card No. 44, come next. Little Mabel Wallace lived here, staying safely behind her fence as sheep and cattle on their way to market filled the raad from side to side, urged on by the sticks and loud shouts of the drovers. When she and her brother Bob caught scarlet fever, they were taken from here to Braintree hospital by horse-

drawn ambulance. Two lath and plaster cottages, since demolished, complete the picture. On the left lived Bill and Emma Pease while in the further right lived Miss Langstone, an expert needlewom-

an. The wooden fences and gates of these two cottages remain and can still be seen today.

47 Overcrowding and insanitary conditions marked some of the older houses on the Green, in the Street and Station Raad as being unfit for human habitation. In

1921 Braintree Council began building houses, the first ones being on the Green. Bricks came from Mr. Marriage's brickyard at Nounsley, where Mr. Tom Carrington and Mr. Charles Harrington (among others) worked under foreman Mr. Dan. Pennock. This postcard of around 1 930 shows the Council houses in New Raad shortly after the first part was completed in 192 7 and when it could truly be described as 'new', With number 24 on our left we stand near the entry to wood-

field Way and look towards Maldon Raad. Under the noonday sun, windows of the brand-new houses have been flung open, gardens have just begun to be cultivated and children are out at play. Be-

yond Maldon Raad, where shops now stand, lies open ground and the Old School playing field, still remembered by many.

48 Older residents may reeognise this peaceful scene of around 1905 as the busy road to Maldon. Pulling its cart, a horse comes into view on the left close to a stile in the hedge, while the trees on the right grow near the modern Village Hall. A small girl and a woman, bonneted against the sun, walk in front of a row of terraeed cottages; in one of these at a later date lived Mr. Walter Hume, boot repairer. Woman and child approach the first gated entrance to the Vicarage (Woodham Drive), where a gravelled driveway curved round in front of the large house. It emerged opposite the distant Parish Room, now the Salvation Army Headquarters. By the second

gate grew a magnificent beech with other mature trees and shtubbery lining the roadside. The Parish Room was built by Mr. Charles Watson in 1895 at a cast off547, towards which William Tuf-

nell Esq, of Hatfield Place gave noo, the remainder being raised by public subscription.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,