Northfleet in old picture postcards

Northfleet in old picture postcards

:   C.R. Bull
:   Kent
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3490-3
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.


Fragments from the book 'Northfleet in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

28. St. BotoIph's churchyard - The monument was the original erected in memory of John Huggens (9). A macabre incident occurred in the churchyard in February 1887. Mr. W. Honeycombe was buried at the earIy age of 29. He had been helping in conducting the funeral service for Northfleet's previous vicar (Reverend Southgate) when a tombstone feIl and killed one of the moumers. Honeycombe never recovered from this experienee and it was suggested that this incident helped cause his early demise. The buildings behind are St. BotoIph's School built in 1838 which was the largest Northfleet school before the 1880's. Sir Arthur Gouge, designer of the Sutherland Flying Boat, was an ex-pupil.

29. The meeting of the National Amalgamated Union of Labour on 19th August 1911 at The Hill consisted of 4,000 workers from the cement industry demanding better wages and conditions. The weakness of union membership had resulted in a 54 hour week bringing an average wage of only lOs.3d. The men from Northfleet, Swanscombe, Stone and Dartford were told to combine into a strong body as their employers had combined. The official union delegate, T.E. Srnith, was received by the cement employers to discuss the problems. The union wanted a 15% increase in piece rates and a minimum of 6d an hour. This rally resulted in hugh union membership with Northfleet's being the largest branch.

30. This view was taken around 1904 and shows a very early car in the distance. The Leather Bottel occupies much the same appearance today as it did then. The electric tram track can be seen to descend into Dover Road which was one of its branch lines. The tall building on the right hand side of Dover Raad was the New Northfleet Brewery which produced the 'Last Drop' brand. The house on the left hand corner, with three chimneys, was the brewery manager's house. This house, known as Fern Bank, became the first ful! time Kent County branch Library of Northfleet in 1940.

31. Here is an aerial view ofthe Gravesend and Northfleet riverfrontin 1924. The industryin theforeground is in Gravesend but beyond the large jetty with the ship is Rosherville. The Northfleet riverside was rapidly filling with industry but the dark tree covered area, to the left of the riverside, was the remains of Rosherville Gardens. The top left corner reveals the working class houses of Rosherville in Rural Vale, Gordon Road etc. The field just below these is that now occupied by the Marina Drive development. Across the road from the latter can be seen the tal! spire of St. Mark's Church.

32. This picture shows London Road and the tower entrance to Rosherville Gardens as they were in 1904. The main line of the electric tram track is shown on its way to Gravesend. The tower, built in 1864, caused the owner of a neighbouring house to complain about the loss of his privacy. Mr. Simpson, owner of Chiltem House, took the gardens company to court but he lost his case and rnoved. The tower once had a clock face in each round window with chirnes and these were supposed to have been presented to Gravesend Clock Tower in 1887 but in fact, were never taken to Gravesend.


}>(I"e3ell~. ).0ndell Read Ellt1"<tlleè 1>0 Resnep,'Hle !ilapde!lS.

A ~"7'- ~ ~.. . - ,

33. London Road around 1906, was a major thoroughfare as it is today but with much less traffic. The houses on the left mark the Beresford and Burnaby Roads area of Rosherville. This whole side has now been heavily developed with housing and shops. The empty field in the foreground is now oecupied by the Northfleet Bus Garage. The site of the Rosherville Garden's entrance tower is now covered by Fountain Walk. Street lighting, still by gas in this picture, became supplied by electricity in December 1908. This electricity supply, which supplied both the trams and the lighting came, after much argument, from the Gravesend Electricity Works. Northfleet lighting, however, remained predominantly gas supplied until the Second World War period.

34. At this point the famous Rosherville Gardens are reached, entranee from London Road would be gained through a gateway by the tower. Despite the various views of the gardens having 'Gravesend' on them, the whole Rosherville Gardens complex was firmly in Northfleet! The gardens were created in a disused ehalk pit by George Jones who began his work in 1837. Despite early set backs with financial and legal complications, the gardens did begin to develop into a pleasure ground for loeal people, . but mainly for Londoners who could reach the area by steam ship and later by rail. The above view,

sent in 1909, shows that Sunday best clothes were expected of the patrons who entered this fairyland paradise.



35. This view, dated 1907, shows a large crowd but at this time the gardens had already passed their heyday of the 1880's and 1890's, and were declining, With better rail transport, the visitors were able to go further to see the delights of Southend End Margate. During the peak periods hoards of up to 20,000 people crowded into the gardens, disembarking from Rosherville Pier (52). The Café Chantant was an open air theatre which attracted music hall stars and sports personalities, Unlike the Bijou Theatre, Café Chantant remained open after 1903 and staged variety shows.

36. The enormous number of visitors needing refreshment created the demand for cafés such as the one on the left of this view dated around 1908. The demand was so great that the garden's cafés could not satisfy all and the streets surrounding Rosherville Pier became filled with refreshment places which included the well-known 'Teapot Row'. The brick building with balcony was the Bijou Theatre built in 1865. This theatre was one ofthe first to use an effects lantem for the various plays and ballets performed there. It closed in 1903 and became part of the Rosherville Café.

37. The above postcard, sent in 1905, shows the marvellous gardens, lawns and trees of the chalk pit site of Rosherville Gardens. The original industrial site had been completely masked by the imaginative creations of the Rosherville Gardens Company. The well-maintained grounds were souree of constant delight for both visitor and resident. James Benson (1878-1972), the great local historian, once described standing outside Rosherville Gardens without the entrance fee as being like standing outside ofParadise and unable to gain admittance through sin.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2020 Publisher European library,