Northfleet in old picture postcards

Northfleet in old picture postcards

:   C.R. Bull
:   Kent
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3490-3
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.


Fragments from the book 'Northfleet in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

48. This interior view, like picture 47, was taken around 1928. By this time the house had become the Board Room and also dining building for both staff and management. Visitors to Henley's would also be taken here. The interior shutters and ornate plaster ceiling surrounds, show the former glory of this house, when it was owned by the Rosher farnily. The house was completely demolished in May 1937 to make room for Henley's Research Laboratory and new staff canteen. Other large houses in Northfleer, such as Northfleet House (20) and Wornbwell Hall, have survived but with uses other than that of a gentleman's residence.

49. Rosherville was to be a fine new town on the eastern boundary of Northfleet. The architect, H.E. Kendal, stated in his prospectus for the development that Rosherville would become to Gravesend what St. Leonard's is to Hastings or Broadstairs to Margate. The fine architecture was a great attraction for the Victorian visitors arriving by river to see Rosherville Gardens. The wide square had sand rolled into it at the beginning of the garden's season and the lawn shown above was feneed within white posts and black chains to add to the dignified atmosphere. The houses shown here dated from around 1840 and the view from around 1905.

50. This was the original entrance to Rosherville Gardens situated in Burch Road. The entrance here was used by the disembarking traveilers from the steamers which stopped at Rosherville Pier. The short walk to this entrance saved a long trek to London Road and was the area watched by locals who observed the elegant, and not so elegant, visitors file in. The sphinxes suggested the exotic interior of the gardens to each entrant. A cab rank stood nearby to receive patronage but this had declined to only two cabs by the 1890's illustrating the garden's demise.

51. As Jeremiah Rosher and his architect H.E. Kendal planned Rosherville new town in the 1830's and 1840's, so the idea of a hotel was adopted for the benefit ofvisitors to the gardens. The hotel was built in 1838 and became a select establishment - a visit to which was made by Lily Langtry , the Victorianl Edwardian actress and 'friend' of royalty. As Rosherville Gardens declined so did the hotel, closing in 1905 and remaining empty untill923. In the First World War the botel was used as a hospital and of the 3,453 patients who passed through it only two died. The building was used as flats until the 1960's and was demolished in 1970. The above view dates from 1889.

52. The pier at Rosherville was built in 1840 and, like the Rosherville Hotel and railway station, was chiefly for the benefit of visitors to the gardens. A ferry also operated from this pier to Tilbury for Rosherville residents wishing to commute to London via Essex trains or for those who worked at Tilbury. This view dates from around 1910. The introduetion of electric lighting to Northfleet's main road in December 1908 had not spread down to Rosherville by 1910 which still retained gas lamps.

53. This view shows Fletcher's Wharf as it looked in 1895. Fletcher's Wharf, which stood right on the GravesendINorthfleet boundary, was built in 1834 as Ditchburn's Wharf and used for hoy services to London. In the early 1850's, William Gladdish took over and used it for his ballast business and chalk export. Gladdish rebuilt the wharf and on his death, William Fletcher became the owner. Fletcher was a barge owner, chalk and flint exporter and lime maker; he imported coke in his retuming barges and sold this to surrounding factories. This wharf was typical of those dotted along Northfleet's river front.

54. This row of cottages was built in the 1840's by Colonel Gladdish for his chalk quarry workers. Known as Slaves' Alley, the houses had the boundary of Northfleet passing through their area so that the front were in Gravesend and the rears in Northfleet. Residents who died in these cottages had their corpses taken to the rear so that they could be buried in Northfleet parish which was cheaper than Gravesend. These dwellings were also visited by Rosherville Garden patrons who purchased shrimp and watercress teas. The houses were last lived in in 1909 and were demolished about 1915. The houses shown above the cottages are those in Pier Road.

55. We now arrive at the second section of this book dealing with Perry Street and the southem area. Perry Street was a hamIet mentioned in 1278 as 'Pyrie' or the place of pear trees. The whole area grew rapidly during the mid and late nineteenth century and was further expanded well into the present century. Perry Street became a separate ecclesiastical parish in May 1871 in recognition of its growth and it became the object of Gravesend Borough's annexation claims in the 1929 Boundary Change proposals. Northfleet managed to fend off Gravesend and retain this busy residential area. The above view, taken around 1903, stands on the NorthfleetiGravesend Boundary looking into Northfleet.

5030 The" Six Beils" Inn &: Forge, Perry Street, Gravesend.

56. Perry Street, until the 1930's, retained a rural character especially in those places bordering the arable and market gardening areas which surrounded much of th is hamIet. The above view, sent in 1911, shows the timber framed house 'Murrells' in the background which is dated 1687. The Six BeIls pub is still serving its customers but The Forge has now gone. To the west of this view were open fields, stretching down to Wingfield Bank and Pepperhill - an area now covered with 1930's and later development.

57. This view shows the now busy and totally urbanized Coldharbour Road near the present junction with Milroy Avenue. When this picture was taken, around 1905, Coldharbour Road was a country lane which gently ambled down to the Watling Street passing Struttons Farm, Shears Green and open fjelds. In one of the fields near this area was discovered a baby boy abandoned by his mother . The infant was baptised 'Perry Street' after the nearest place to his discovery and this was recorded in the Northfleet Parish Register in 1698.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2020 Publisher European library,