Oxted in old picture postcards volume 2

Oxted in old picture postcards volume 2

Author
:   Roger Packham
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Surrey
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4920-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Oxted in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The second of Oxted's mills is Coltsford Mill, off Mill Lane and A.H. Homewood produced this coloured postcard of it in about 1905. It dates from the seventeenth century and although still capable of milling, it is now a restaurant. At the time of the postcard, William Heasman was the miller and he also worked as a corn and coal merchant and farmer with interests in South Godstone.

70. A sturdy little steam engine with only one carriage arrives at Hurst Green Motor Halt in about 1914 following its journey trom either East Grinstead or Edenbridge. Notice the gas lighting on the wooden platforms and the very tall signals.

--

71. Camburn's postcard, which was posted in 1939 shows Holland Road looking north towards Hurst Green Road with Holland Cottage on the right. The fourth building on the right, with a si de door, is now Londis Stores and the turning towards it is The Hawthorns.

72. Richardson's artistic study of a pony and trap travelling northwards along the Holland Road was posted in 1922 but would appear to date from before the Great War. Behind the gentleman driver can be seen Diamond Cottages and the Diamond public house. Nearer to the camera an old barn can be seen and it is shown more clearly in volume one of 'Oxted in old picture postcards' , page 75.

73. A later Richardson postcard, inferior in quality to the previous view, shows Holland Road looking north towards Hurst Green with the Diamond public house easily recognisable and Diamond Cottages beyond. In 1927 the licensee of The Diamond in 'New Holland' was listed as Henry Easter. The little house with two chimneys survives as an outbuilding to Diamond Farm.

74. A large crowd has gathered to watch the Hospital Cup Final at Master Park, captured by a Suter postcard. It would appear to date from April 1927 when Oxted beat St. Christoper's (Chelsham) for the Oxted & Limpsfield (War Memorial) Hospital Cup. The photo shows the Hospital matron, Miss Barrett, kicking off and 'prior to the match and during the interval, selections were played by the Oxted (Prize) Band which considerably helped to enliven the proceedings'.

W.SUTER.

BINEFIELD AUXILIARY HOSPITAL,OXTED.

75. Walter Suter's postcard of The Binefield Auxiliary Hospital shows some wounded soldiers and the hospital's staff, including a very tall nurse on the right. The hospital was opened in June, 1915 and its closure was reported in 1919 'after a splendid work of self devotion by the Commandant (Miss Westhead), Matron (Miss Page) and staff in ministering to the needs of the wounded. With their twin sister, 'Furzedown' , they leave a golden memory of their work in the heart of all the boys who came under their care'.

76. Walter Suter has discovered a wonderful subject for a postcard watched again by a large crowd. A fat man stands next to a policeman in front of the aeroplane and several children and soldiers can be seen. The Ioeation is uncertain but the handsome flying machine is a Vickers FB4, the forerunner to the FB5 Gun Bus, and the date is almost eertainly 1914.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,