Aberdeen in old picture postcards volume 2

Aberdeen in old picture postcards volume 2

:   John Clark
:   Aberdeen
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-6646-1
:   144
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.


Extraits du livre 'Aberdeen in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

5 9 odd Fellows Hall

Bolton Unity Friendly Society established or absorbed locallodges early in the twentieth century, at which time there were about 59 lodges in the city. Locallodges objected to conditions imposed by Bolton Unit y's HQ in Manchester, and in 1889 they established an independent society, the Caledonian Order ofUnited Oddfellows. The Oddfellows remained important until the 1950's, with an Oddfellows hall in Belmont Street until 1943. More detail can be found in a good history "Irade Unionism in Aberdeen 1878-1900', K.D. Buckley (Edinburgh 1955).


Bon-Record Lodge, 657.

A SOCJAL EVENJNG, to inaugurate the new Meeting Place of the Lodge, will take place on THURSDAY, the i jth June, to cornmence at Eight o'clock.

Tickets-Threepence. (No Juveniles.) Will be pleased to have mem bers and their wives with us on that occasion.

J. MACKIE, Secy .:

60 nam

Car 1 29 was delivered in October 1929 and according to a note on the card was photographed on 8 April 1939. It is described as a Bush all enclosed 40126 with a Peckham P35 motor. The vehicle

was fitted with airbrakes about this time. Ir had a steel frame with a teak superstructure and remained in service until early 1 957. Ir was an act of corporate van dali sm when all the city's remaining trams were deliberately burned in May 1958.

61 Women on trams

World War One created a shortage of male labour in a number of areas including the corporation tramways. When it became known that wamen would undertake traditional male jobs there was a meeting opposing such a move.

In spite of such reaction wamen were recruited by Aberdeen Corporation from May 1 9 15, initially as 'conductorettes' . By the end of the war nearly all the conductors and a handful of drivers were female. This card shows the pioneering group.

Aberdeen's First Eight Female Car Conductors.

62 Coat of arms

This card was one sent by an autograph hunter, called Reginald Bray, part of a series sent to all the mayors in Britain. Obviously he did not get the title right. The card was signed and returned by the Lord ProvostJamesWalker. Mr. Walker had been a successful businessman in the fish trade before he served as Lord Provost from 1902 to 1905. He was an active man involved in the Police Force and the construction of the Fish Market on Albert Quay. Walker Park is named after hirn.


J fÀMA LA m .. tJ'f~ J.. ~ 1'ty lflnnIJ ...


63 Map

This card with a Cults postmark of 1909 shows part of a Bartholomew map. It is representative of a variety of cards showing composite pictures, pullouts with a series ofviews, hold-ta-light cards and other navel ties. We can see that bath Bervie and Alford had rail services at this date.

64 Girdleness Lighthouse Girdleness Lighthouse was built by one ofthe Lighthouse Stephensons, Robert Stephenson, in 1833. 189 steps take you to the top of the 130- foot high tower. Ir still warns vessels up to nautical 1 9 miles away, but like all British lighthouses is na langer manned.

65 Kingseat Mental Hospital N ewmacher was built early in the century in the style of Alt Scherbitz ar villa style. It occupied 337 acres of Kingseat estate, which had been purchased far f:6,250. It opened on 16 May 1904 at a total cost of f:125 ,000. It was this first hospital in the UK with this layout having five blocks far each gender including six closed wards. Additional villas were built later and in 1 930 responsibility was transferred from the Parish Council to Aberdeen City. By 1938 patient numbers had risen to 735. It as requisitioned during the Second Warld War.

66 New Poor House

A boys' refarmatary opened on this site in 1857, with 50 lads under the control of a Gavernar and a Matron. Ir taak its name from the Oldmill farm. In 1900 the land was sold to the parish council. In time the boys were moved out and a new structure erected with a viaduct to the main road. Naturally the wamen and men were accommodated in separate wings of the New Paar House which was opened on 15 May

1 907. In keeping with the spirit of the age, life has been described as 'spartan but not intentionally unkind'.

Tbe New PoorhOUle for Aberdeen

R.G: J.

67 Oldmill Hospital

The new Poar House became Oldmill Military Hospital from 1 915 to 1919. A different view in Volume One shows a parade in the grounds. In this viewafigure guards the gatehouse. After the war the general hospital concentrated on the sick poar and the special hospital became a TB unit. It was taken over by the city council and named Woodend (Municipal) Hospital in 1927. Many improvements followed. Since 1989 it has been a centre far non-urgent arthopaedic surgery and geriatric care. The other departments far oncology, general surgery and so farth moved to Farester Hill.

Entrance te Oldmill Mili~ary l1ospital. Aberdeen.

68 City Hospital

Cards of the City Hospital are uncommon. It was built as the Cunningar Hospital in 1877, a fever hospital, the dock and bell being transferred from the water house. When Aberdeen was struck by an outbreak of typhoid fever in May and Iune of 1964, this hospital was the centre of the city's fight back against the infection. There were over 500 victims ofthe fever but only one death, a tribute to the quality of care offered by the medical and nursing staff.

City Hospital,Aberdeen.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Termes et conditions | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2021 Editions Bibliothèque européenne