Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Localité
:  
Province
:   Fife
Pays
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5754-4
Pages
:   80
Prix
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.

   


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. As in the cover photograph, Shore Road is viewed from the north. It is the same donkey, possibly a stuffed one from the col!ection of props in Claude Low's photographic studio, which is the omatelygab led building on the right. Notice the number of placards adorning Kinnaird's Tea Gardens. Observe too the ghost-like figure on the roof. As wel! as being a popular destination for visitors, many locals went there for their weekly bath, few houses possessing a bathroom. Now the Aberdour Community Leisure Centre occupies the site.

10. The customers here are enjoying their tea and ginger beer in Milner's Tea Garden, which was located, we are told, off the High Street (on the south side behind the former Cooperative store). As well as purveying te as and ginger beer, J. Milner, who was also a station er, evidently did a good trade in picture postcards. übserve the pictorial advertisements and what seems to be a rack for pipes.

11. Turning the corner into the High Street, we see that the shop of Niven, the butcher, had a different roof-line then. This Edwardian-period photograph was taken on a winter's day, so there are not many visitors. The 'scholars' from the school round the corner, were only toa ready to pose for the photographer. übserve the horsedung on the street, inescapable in those days.

12. Nowwe are into summer, so in this circa 1909 photograph the striped sunshades are up. As with the previous postcard, the Dr. Spenee Memorial Clock is not visible. It was not moved from its original location, fronting the church hall, until the erection ofthe War Memorial in 1919. The girl, with sunhat and tight-waisted skirt in the lelt-hand corner, is Harriet Comfort, who was a telegraph messenger and then Post Office clerkess before emigrating to Canada.

13. We see the same area, taken from the opposite direction, with Scath's Golf Restaurant prominent on the right. Rather incredibly, the restaurant could cater for 300 at one sitting. A later circa 1920 advert boasted th at the premises could provide shelter for 600 and that 'Schools & Publie Works' were contracted for. The building to the east of the restaurant was W. Crow the plumber's premises. Notice the cobbied gutter and the absence of any pavement on the left side of the raad.

14. Passing to the interwar years, we see that the buildings on the left side of the road have been radically changed. Craven A cigarettes, Selo and Ensign films, and radios are now on sale in what was latterly Milburn's shop. A further indication of changing standards is the presence, further along the High Street, of a Hot Water Engineer. Observe the milk-churns on the delivery-cart and on the new pavement. In the distance we see the Free Kirk, later St. Colme's. It was demolished in 1964 and new dwellings were erected on this Sands Place site.

15. There are very few photographs of the Livingston Lane corner, an area which is greatly changed. The notice on the left, pointing to J. Hamilton's Dairy down the lane, states that cycles could be stored there. Immediately to the right the notice simply reads, 'D. Philip, Coal Merchant.' Rather curiously, another coal merchant, J. BarcJay, resided next door. At that time, probably circa 1930, the bakery next door was owned by Thomas Milne. His specialities were shortbread and gingerbread.

16. An older version of the baker's premises, then just a two-storey building, can be seen in this picture. The old Primary School with schoolhouse next door, is on the right. The girls wear pinnies to proteet their frocks. This school continued in use until1967. The writer's daughter was one of the last batch of pupils to email in the infant class in that year.

17. Forestairs, cobbled gutters, apartments to let signs and Iamps, bracketed to house-walls were features ofthe Edwardian High Street. The street-lamps were then oil-fired. Gas mains were laid in 1914. Next to McLean's Aberdour Hotel, th ere is a railing, The restaurant extension had not then been built. This postcard predates the DI. Spenee Memorial. Notice though the ivy-Iaden kirkyard wall.

18. The Dr. Spenee Memorial Cloek (1910) is seen here in its original loeation. (Incidentally there are two memorials to the well-regarded Dr. Spenee in Burntisland also.) The kirkyard gate was on the west side near The Pharmaey. The top photograph is aetually a typieal John Valentine forgery. Most of the figures supposedly walking up the street have been added, probably to update the picture. The boys on the extreme right, who were from the Crow family, were, however, in the original genuine photograph, whieh we see below.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne