Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Localité
:  
Province
:   Fife
Pays
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5754-4
Pages
:   80
Prix
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.

   


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. In this mid-1920s view, the doek has gone and the wall has been lowered to give due prominenee to the War Memorial commemorating the slain ofthe First World War. The use of motor-buses, both on regular services and for pleasure trips, greatly increased after the war. The postcards on displayoutside The Pharmacy (now J. Taylor's) would have been W.T. Inkster's own brand. In the 1920s, the chemist also sold golf clubs and balls and 'High-class Tobaccos & Cigarettes'. Notice that the railings, where the restaurant is sited, have been removed.

20. This view of T. McLean's Aberdour Hotel was taken in 1903 and shows the hotel's coachman, a Mr. Finlayson, riding bareback. As the notice indicates, the hotel had its own posting and livery stables, which meant that their horse and vehicle were available for hire and that horses could also be fed and stabied. The entrance to the bar has been moved since then. McLean bottled on the premises Jeffrey's India Pale Ale, brewed at the Heriot Brewery in Edinburgh.

21. Next door to the hotel we see a 1904 view of Harry Mitchell's shop. A relative was on the 'below the stairs' staff at nearby Otterston House, here seen in a 1903 photograph. The front row comprises, from left to right, the housekeeper , parlour maid and valet; in the rear are 'Tweeny' maid, cook and lady's maid. Provision merchants like Harry Mitchell would have been eager to secure the big house's custom.

22. When this photograph was taken, the Post Office was located next door to the Woodside Hotel. Opposite the hotel are the Donibristle gates, which gave access to another of the big houses of the neighbourhood. (For more pictures of Donibristle, Otterston and other country-estates, see the book on Inverkeithing and Dalgety in this series.)

23. The Post Office has now gone and the Woodside Hotel has been extended. The Doune Hall (1913), which is now incorporated in the hotel, had yet to be built. Notice the Woodside Garage in the second picture (an advertisement card) and the opulent-looking limousine strategically placed outside the hotel. Advertisements of the early 1920s, boasted that the hotel possessed an adjoining, up-to-date dance hall (under hotel management), electric light, a large garage, all motor accessories, and cars for hire.

High Streel, Aberdour,

t.

24. Manse Street and Seaside Place were part of the 'New Town', which was built on land feued from the Earl of Morton. As elsewhere, we see many 'To Let' signs and old-style lamp-posts. We see in Seaside Place a 1930s-period car. The gowfers heading for the golf course are from left to right: Evelyn Simpson, her husband David Simpson who was the Aberdour golf professional, th en Janet Wattie, and lastly someone Uilknown. The low building on the right was David Simpson's golf shop. During the Second World War, View Forth, on the extreme left, housed high-ranking naval officers.Since Corriemar on the seafront (reached by a garden path) was, for a time, a naval headquarters, this was a convenient abode for them.

EASTER ABERDOUR.

25. The 'Old Town', as Easter Aberdour was onee aptly named, housed some historie dwellings. Sadly, forestairs and cast-iron lamp standards are no longer to be seen on Main Street. The dwel!ings with the forestairs, on the left, were removed prior to 1933. When some of the buildings in the middle distanee were removed, a new point of aecess to Murrel! Road was eonstructed. The old raad ta The MurreIl went via Murrel! Terrace and Road.

26. The 17th century dweJling on the extreme right (the one with the corbie-stepped gable) was another building that was regrettably demolished. A modern house (10 Main Street) now occupies the site. The sender of this card, writing in April 1919, was 'delighted with everything'. For her, as with quite a number of other visitors, one of the major attractions was the 'heaps of lovely walks about here'.

27. The name 'Glebe' indieates that these were former ehureh lands. The houses on the west side were eonstrueted in the 1920s. It is said that some of the eonstruetion timbers eame from the old limestone mine at Nine Lums. The eard was published by local chernist, W.T. Inkster, who was the Aberdour ehemist from 1923 until1970.

28. Contrasts in dress are apparent in this circa 1930 photograph. The girls outside Bald's grocery store, on Silver Sands Terrace, are clad in light summer dresses, whereas the older gents beside the Station Inn (now Drift lnn) are more soberly dressed. Observe the shop's rongh-and-ready sunshade and the tin-panel advertisements on the walls. The inn's iron railings and the lamp standard (note the glass has been rernoved) have not survived.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne