Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Localité
:  
Province
:   Fife
Pays
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5754-4
Pages
:   80
Prix
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.

   


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Aberdour Castle and doocot appear on the left, and part of Easter Aberdour on the right, in this circa 1900 view. Home Park ( originally Cow Park) then consisted oftwo divided villas and a cottage. In 1871, a Leith building firm feued this field from the Earl of Morton. Their speculation failed, sa the bowling green and croquet lawn, which were to be part of the scheme, remained projects on paper.

30. The nearby Silver Sands (formerly the White Sands) were a perennial attraction, although this photograph was taken on a quiet day. This 1930s view, from the era of blazers and one-piece swimsuits, is a J.B. White of Dundee card. 'Having a day at the Seaside', wrote one correspondent in August 1906, 'but oh dear! the Edinburgh crowdsl!' The message on another postcard from that era reads: 'Far better on those sands than at church on Sunday.'

31. After the opening, in 1890, ofthe North British Railway Company's new station, picnic parties and trippers came to Aberdour in even larger numbers and from further afield. The Aberdour railway staff (and in Edwardian days there were many of them) are looking at the photographer rather than at the incoming train.

'-

v

32. This Dunfermline family group arrived on a day trip - a day at Aberdour beach being a last holiday treat for the bairns before returning to school. Going by bus from Dunfermline to Aberdour in 1928, was regarded by the children as like going to the ends of the earth.

JAe clC6erdour te cIC! <7resoo " Entertainers, 1905

33. In the early 1900s, a number of different concert parties entertained the visitors at the West Sands each summer season. One troupe at least, who played at the shore in the summer of 1900, came from 'the other side of the border'. The 'Al Fresco' entertainers were just one of the many groups who performed at Aberdour in the summer season. The sender of this card (1905) had enjoyed listening to the minstrels and further remarked that there were 'a great many Leith folk here'.

34. While some groups of pierrots had the bene fit of a canvas-topped stage, others used only a simple platform. Notice that the audience here had to find their own seats. With no enclosed space, the performers had to be good at 'bottling', i.e. cajoling cash from the customers. When the weather was bad, the pierrots played in a nearby hall. It was 'the fair sex', one newspaper correspondent alleged, who were the most appreciative fans. Some nearby householders, however, objected to the noise and disturban ce that was thereby created.

35. The ruined St. Fillan's Kirk featured in many postcards. After its restoration in 1925-1926, the former parish church (we see here its interior beneath) was converted into the kirk hall. While staying in the village, many visitors attended one of the local kirks.

Aberdour House also featured in many postcards, In this 1920s view (above), we see a tennis court in the area of the new Earls Gate housing development. During the First World War this former residence of the Morton family was occupied by the dashing Admiral Beatty, who commanded the Rosyth-based battle-cruiser squadron and latterly the entire British Grand Fleet.

Paris!) C!)tll'cl. Aberdotlr

65708

HOME GREEN. ABERDOUR GOLF. COURSE

V.L.ENT ????? __

36. Turn-of-the-century Aberdour's proud, new amenities included: a public park, a bowling-green, which in 1912 was in a terrible condition (some bowlers played in hob-nailed boots) and a golf-course, created in 1905 'after a friendly negotiation with the Hon. W.c. Hewitt, the Commissionerfor the Earl of Moray'. Extended to 18 holes in 1912, the annual subscription, circa 1922, for adult, male golfers was El: 10 shillings.

37. After the First World War, the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Company was wound up. Although motor-buses were stiff competitors, some Forth sailings were maintained. In the years 1927 to 1939, the 'Fair Maid' (a former Clyde paddle-steamer) carried on the traditional sailings from Leith to Aberdour and under the Forth Railway Bridge. When war broke out again in September 1939, the 'Fair Maid' left Aberdour for the last time, her orchestra playing 'Polly- Wolly-Doodle, Fare thee well, Fare thee well.'

38. While the 'Fair Maid' did not come back te the Forth after the war, the crowds did return to their old seaside haunts. Postcards were in short suppIy, though. In the era ofwartime shortages and postwar austerity, few new ones were available and old stock like this fine mid-1930s card (issued by J.B. White Ltd. of Dundee) was still being sold. The May 1945 postmark on the card included Victory BeIls to celebrate Victory in Europe. The sender had been spending her VE holiday weekend in Aberdour. Today the crowds depart for warmer elimes and all that remains of the diving board are some bits of rusted stanchion.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne