Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Localité
:  
Province
:   Fife
Pays
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5754-4
Pages
:   80
Prix
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.

   


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

HIGH STREET ANO HARaOUa PLACE, BURNTISLAr-'lO.

Publisbed by Andrèw Young. Burntisland.

39. Coming now to Burntisland, we start with an old view of the High Street and Harbour Place, which were the focal points for the burgh's trade and commerce. The baskets and barrels in the left-hand corner remind us of the town's past as a fishing port. Sailing ships came very close to Harbour Place or The Share, as it used to be termed.

40. The number of inns, hotels, ship's chandlers and a shipsmith confirm the importance of Harbour Place to the maritime community. The George Hotel is now the Smugglers' Inn, but the Harbour Inn next door is gone. Behind and above it stood the Seamen's Lodging House. Round the corner, the Forth Hotel was handy for rail travelIers going to or from the ferry. Because of the ferry to Granton, Burntisland was the principal entry point for travelIers coming from the south. James Louden ran the hotel from 1903 to 1914. Latterly, the building was used as railway company offices.

RAJLWAY STATION. BURNTISLAND.

41. When this card was posted in 1907, through trains were coming to Burntisland from the west via the Forth Bridge. The new platforms and ticket offices, which were built to cater for this traffic, are shown in this early 20th century photograph. Improved communication with the west was offset by the drastic decline in ferry traffic for both passen gers and eoal.

I O~AL. ~ SERIItS.

42. Prior to 1890, coal from Fife was shipped across the Forth, using roll-on roll-offferry boats. Inaugurated in 1850, this was the world's first ro-ro ferry. In this 1888 picture, the vessel being loaded at the adjustable ramp is the North British Railway Company's twin-funnel paddler 'Midlothian'. The paddle-steamer on the right is a passenger-carrying ferryboat, the Kinghorn-built 'John Stirling'.



43. Although ferry traffic declined after 1890, the railway company-owned paddle-steamer, the 'Williarn Muir', maintained a regular service from Granton to Burntisland until it was scrapped in 1937. In 1910, the 'Willie Muir', as it was more generally called, underwent a major refit and was left with only one funnel instead of the two shown here. In 1906, when this card was posted, the East Doek was comparatively new. The loek gates which gave entrance to the new doek are on the right.

THE DOCKS. BURNTISJ.A"D.

Published bv Andrew YOUD.2'.. Bumtisland.

44. We now look across the West Dock towards the harbour entrance. As well as steamboats, several sailing ships are visible in this turn-of-the-century photograph. Harbour Place, with the Forth Hotel (a rear view), is in the top left-hand corner, with the Engine House, with its smokestack, just to the right. The East Dock lies beyond.

oe Doc s, Burnus an

45. North British and Fife Coal Company railway waggons, sidings, coal-hoists and stearn-ships were part-and-parcel of the harbour scene. The docks, which were developed and expanded between 1876 and 1902, provided work for railway workers. dockers, coal-trimrners, pilots and other boatmen. The construction. from the 1880s, and subsequent extension of Methil Docks, however, brought into being a serious competitor. This and other factors meant that the population of Burntisland declined between 1901 and 1911.

=

46. In this pre-1922 view of the West Doek, we are looking towards Rossend Castle and the Burntisland Oil Mill, the building with the big lum on the right. Following the opening ofthe new doek in 1876, this former Sugar House was adapted for seed-crushing, the end-products being linseed and cotton-seed animal feeding stuffs and cotton-seed oil, which went to make margarine. This building was demo 1ished in 1970.

BURNTISLANO. FROM ïHE AIR

47. In this aerial view we see Burntisland Shipyard (opened in 1918), with two vessels under construction. The founders, the Ayre brothers, were pioneers in prefabrication. Between 1918 and 1968 over 420 ships were constructed at the yard. As for the port, apart from one vessel in the East Doek and another at the Ferry Pier, it is virtually empty. Tied up atthe Ferry Pier, we see the 'Willie Muir', which by that time had just a single funnel.

48. The shipyard had a vital role to play during the Second World War, including designing and building dual-purpose vessels like the 'Empire MacKendrick'. Designed to transport bulk grain across the Atlantic, this 8,345 ton ship, which was launched in 1943, also served as an aircraft-carrier. The planes flying from merchant aireraft-carriers like this, helped to proteet wartime convoys from attacks by German U-boats. Observe the suction pipe for loading and discharging grain.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne