Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

:   Eric Simpson
:   Fife
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-5754-4
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. After the war, the Burntisland shipyard launched many fine ships, including (left) the 'Dispatcher' , an early 1950s bauxite carrier. This 8,000 ton vessel was built for the ALCOA Steamship Company of the U .S.A. A wide sweep of the town is shown in the other mid-1950s photographs, which were taken from a shipyard crane. The flag-adorned M. V. 'Huntsfield' (top picture) was an 11,000 ton vessel, built for London owners. This ship, or a sister vessel, appears in the lower picture behind the 'Capetan Chiotis', the ship being pulled by a tugboat.

50. The coming of the railway heralded a newage of prosperity for Victorian Burntisland. The North British Railway Company built, repaired and fitted engines, waggons and carriages at its Burntisland depot, which was centred on the Round House. The photograph was taken circa 1935, prior to the demolition of this massive, and appropriately-named, structure.

Aluminium Works and Kirkton,' from Ross Point.

51. The British Aluminium Company's works (since 1982, ALCAN) is seen here from the south. Initially, there was considerable local opposition to its construction, with many locals dreading the impact of the aluminium works on Burntisland's reputation as a holiday resort. In this 1920s view we see, on the extreme left, the Newbigging railway signal box and the old low-level water cooler, with steam billowing forth.

L R.. -.L. _

Jhe Sea }lIIlI. 13,!rntisland.

One of" e '<Seven Wonders ol File".

The wheel« art? tor· ed I>y the incoming and oatgoing tides,

52. The Sea MilI, here described as one of the 'Seven Wonders of Fife', was driven by seawater. Water trom the incoming tide was trapped by the wall shown on the right, and then used to drive the mill's undershot water-wheeJ. In this south-looking photograph (postmark date 1907), we see the mill 'pond', the mill buildings (part of which survives) and, behind, West Broom Hili. This view obviously predates the construction of the Rossend Castie housing estate.


53. Historie Rossend Castle, here shown from the harbour, became a boarding house. In the early, pioneering days of the Burntisland Shipyard, Wilfrid Ayre, who was later knighted, used Rossend as his headquarters' office. After two publie enquiries, Rossend Castle was saved from demolition and in 1975 was converted into an architects' office by the Hurd Rolland partnership.

54. Looking north towards Braehead and Kirkton, we see Ged's Mil! with its prominent smokestack and, in the distance, the Grange Distillery (now containing bonded warehouses), which distilled Old Burntisland whisky until circa 1920. The aluminium works now occupy much of the former Ged's Mill site. From that complex of buildings only the doocot, to the left of the big chimney, is still visible. Streets of houses now fill the fields, which, around 1900, were still farmland.

55. To move goods around in Edwardian Burntisland, you used hand-earts and horse-drawn vehicles, but observe too in this High Street scene the lad with the box on his head. The eurious shop-sign on the left looks like a lifebelt. The shop was a ship ehandler's - one of four whieh sold marine equipment and ship's supplies. Further along, on the same side of the street, is the Star Inn, which now has two gables facing the High Street, then only one.

James S. Newlands


72, High Street, oP~~';;m. Burntisland.




Daily and Weekly ewspape~s pr-crnptlv deliver-ed Mor-ning anà : : : : E ven ing. : : : :


56. The building on the corner, where Lothian Street leaves the High Street, is gone. Alex. Thomson, baker and confectioner, had the corner shop. Further along the High Street, we see that James S. Newlands believed in the power of advertisement, showing his wares in every possible space, both inside and outside the shop. By selling postcards, crested china, golf clubs and balls, he catered for visitors' needs.

Bumtisland. The High St reet. ".... i' tM bo$t b.41t>('-u ~ ot tM tOWIt, o.nd ~ou ?? ts or. wtes.. '9*ei~. thol"Ouc:hfue te.6ine to ttle LlttXs ~ the ~d ??

57. As we observe in this circa 1900 High Street scene (above), boys either wore tackety boots or went barefoot. The Auld Free Kirk on the right, next to the toon hoose, was knocked down to make way for the new Carnegie Library, shown in the other picture. N otice the top-hatted notabilities and police surrounding Andrew Carnegie, who on that same day was given the freedom of the burgh. In the same year, 1907, that Burntisland library was opened, the corner-stone for the Hague Peace Palace was laid - another edifice that the Scottish-American billionaire paid for.

58. The town house and library appear again in this splendid photograph, depicting a couple, probably the owners, at the door of the Commercial Restaurant. The window display includes tempting-looking sponge-cakes and glass-stoppered jars, filled with biscuits. Pratt, the china merchant next door, displays souvenir plates, a popular purehase with holiday-makers.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne