Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Localité
:  
Province
:   Fife
Pays
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5754-4
Pages
:   80
Prix
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.

   


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Looking down the Kirkgate in the 1920s, we see dwellings that have now gone and observe that, in the middle distance, there were then only two houses on BroomhilI Road, both Pilkington-designed. What are the girls in the right-hand corner up to? Only the barefoot girl on the left seems to have noticed the photographer. By the 1920s, though, cameras were much smaller and less obtrusive. The earlier photographers with their plate cameras and tripods were much more noticeable.

60. A delivery cart, bearing milk-churns, is prominent in this pre-1908 scene. The photographer was looking east, along Leven Street, towards Thistle Cottage on the right. In the summer of 1993, the further-away tenement blocks were standing empty. After the First World War the tenernent-style building, so favoured by Victorian and Edwardian builders, went out of fashion.

61. The children in this circa 1937 picture were photographed in front of a recently demolished house in Somerville Street. The pistol-packing lad on the left is wearing a Boys Brigade belt and pouch. A coup Ie of shipyard apprentices, standing at the back, have joined the group.

62. Returning to the High Street, we observe in this 1935-dated postcard, that the Bumtisland Co-op was a very important retail operator, but that there were plenty of small shops catering for locals and visitors alike. By then, many visitors possessed cameras and would have availed themselves of the 'Films Developed' service. While motor vehicles were more prominent, there were still quite a few horse-drawn carts on the streets. Thus, the horse trough (with ornamentallamp) on the left was still regarded as a useful piece of street furniture.

63. Looking from the links towards the East Port, we note that the children in the foreground are spread out, almost certainly deliberately posed by the photographer. While the corner buildings have not changed much, the entrance to the links has been transformed, since this turn-of-the-century photo was taken. New public toilets now provide a necessary adjunct to the fine Victorian drinking fountain, recently flitted to th is spot. The fountain originally stood at the Craigholm Crescent corner.

64. Early in the 20th century, as now, the links were used for many different farms of leisure. In this picture we see a well-attended cricket match with sight sereens at each end of the pitch and tents, which were presumably used for 'changing-rooms' and for serving teas during the interval. Golf, toa, was once played there. A plan of 1813 shows 4 golf holes marked out on the links.

BURNTISLAI'D FRON THE DELYES. k ;tt Pcblisbed by Andrew Young, BUmlisland~

:J" 4-vWl ~ ~ m ~tv,,~

65. The links and the Round House too (far left) appear in the postcard of Burntisland from the Delves. As the empty fields in the foreground and elsewhere show, the Burntisland of 1903, when this card was posted, was more compact, and much more crowded, than it is today. The row of stacks in the foreground indicates, too, that the harvest was in. Kirkbank Road is on the right and Kinghorn Raad on the left. The Bentfield Villas, with their flat-topped roofs (left), were designed in this way, we are told, sa as not to obstruct the view from Greenmount House.

66. Looking towards the beach from the Lammerlaws, we see part of the New Town. The cannon (bottom left) was used for practice by the local Artillery Volunteers. The Volunteers' Battery and Drill Ground was adjacent to a row of fishermen's cottages. Notice the boats drawn up on the shore. AIthough the card is dated 1904, the photograph must have been taken prior to 1903, since the Erskine United Free Kirk is not shown.

67. Now we see the Erskine Kirk, which was completed in 1903. The church, where this congregation had formerly worshipped, stood on the High Street (see No. 57). When it was demolished, the site was used for the new Carnegie Library. A group of children, including some youthful gowfers, pose for the camera. The barefooted bairns were not necessarily impoverished.

f'LACE. ßURNTISLANO. ß & G. 13.'.

68. The death of George Ferguson in 1901, the Fife Free Press stated, 'rernoves from the town a very enterprising builder , who for a period of 40 years, has had the chief hand in its extensions ... Ferguson Place and Ferguson Square bear his name.' On the left we see the school erected by the Burntisland School Board in 1876. James Lothian Mitchell was headmaster from 1892 until his dismissal in 1906, the result of local political machinations.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne