Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards

:   Eric Simpson
:   Fife
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-5754-4
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 TVA comprise *

Délai de livraison: 2-3 jours ouvrables (sous réserve). La couverture peut être différente de celle présentée sur l'illustration.


Extraits du livre 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. James Lothian appears at the back of this circa 1901 photograph of the school science laboratory. During his time at Burntisland, Mitchell, a very enterprising teacher, introduced a secondary depart ment which, with the construction next door of a new building, became a Higher Grade School. Mitchell was a prominent figure in the town council and other local organisations.

70. Baat trips, sand and sea attracted crowds to the beach, although the coats, jackets and woolly jumpers indicate that the weather was not toa warm. Some children are paddling, but very few bathing costumes are being worn. Very few people possessed special beach or leis ure wear. In the distance we see the be ach shelter, the tearoom (converted out of a farmer bathing house) and beyond, another older seawater bath house (now a dwelling-place), The promenade was extended to the Lochies in 1905.

71. Again, sensible warm garments are the rule in this beach scene. With three policemen to keep control, Edwardian sandcastle contests must have been highly competitive. The policeman on the left must have cracked a joke, as the spectators in his immediate vicinity are looking admiringly in his direction. whereas most of the rest are looking towards the camera. Some of the boys are wearing blazers, caps and identical ties, and one at least a football shirt.

72. This souvenir card of Dalton Payne's Entertainers shows wh at smart men and wamen were wearing in 1923. This was one of the many troupes that spent a summer season at Burntisland. Befare and during the First World War, Fred Collins' pierrot troupe played at Burntisland in successive seasons. More active farms of recreation included bowling and tennis, played at, for instanee, the Recreation Grounds, which were run by a private company.

73. Constructed by Burntisland Town Council at a cost of no,ooo, the bathing pool was opened in June 1936 and was immediately highly popular. In the first season, when this card was posted, there was no tearoom. It was a later addition. Closed at the end of the 1978 season, Kirkcaldy District Council announced in April 1979 that the pool was to be permanently closed. A council promise, made later that year, that a new indoor pool would be erected, was not implemented. In 1990, the derelict pool was demolished and the site landscaped.

74. An earlîer open-air swimming pond was constructed, circa 1906, on the eastern side of the Lammerlaws, an area which, as this early 1930s card shows, was popular for boating as well as for bathing. The grassy area above the promenade was, we see, a favourite site for campers. The ruins of the farmer vitriol works are on the left.

75. East of Burntisland lay the Binn Village, built to accommodate Binnend Oil Company employees and their families. Inaugurated in 1878, this company produced shale-oil and byproducts until1892, when it collapsed and was liquidated. The buge bing behind overshadowed the set of goal-posts beside the school, which was on the extreme left. The oil-works layout of sight on the lower ground to the right. This card was posted in 1907 when all workershad gone, but the Binnend cottages provided cheap lodgings for holiday-rnakers coming across the Firth from Edinburgh and Leith.

76. We conclude with a photograph of the Armistice Day parade in November 1947, when Ioeal organisations marehed along the High Street to the War Memorial to pay their respeets to those who saerifieed their lives in the two World Wars. The group abreast of Porte House eomprises the members of Rossend Chapter 409 Burntisland Eastern Star. The frontages seen here, have been greatly altered. There is still, though, a Co-op, although now shifted slightly to the right, mueh redueed in size, and, like so many other shops and premises in both Burntisland and Aberdour, under different management.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Plan du site | Liens | Colophon | Vie privée | Clause de non-responsabilité | Conditions de livraison | © 2009 - 2020 Editions Bibliothèque européenne