Abergele in old picture postcards

Abergele in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mr. E. Wynne Williams
Gemeente
:   Abergele
Provincie
:   Conwy
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2268-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Abergele in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Ree Hotel, Abergele. Roscoe in his 'Wanderings and Excursions in North Wales at the beginning of the nineteenth century' describes the 'quiet and luxury' in that queen of hotels, The Bee. Before the building of the Town Hall (1867), The Bee was the venue for important sales of property , social events and elections. In the foreground were the Bee Gardens, extending from opposite the Visitor Office to the National Schools (now the Community Centre).

10. Castie Place. This who1e complex of buildings, inc1uding the Cast1e Hotel, the gable of the Congregational schoolroom, Castie Place and Pleasant P1ace, were built during the period 1850-1861. In 1881 the celebrated Robert Ambrose Jones (Emrys ap Iwan), after whom the Comprehensive School is named, lived at No. 7, Castle Place with his father and two of his sisters. In the Census return, 1881, he described himself as a 'litterateur'.

11. The County School at Castie View. This photograph was taken by John Thomas (See No. 27) outside Castie View in Water Street. The School had opened on 11 September 1895 with thirty pupils. The headmaster, shown here, Dr. Charles A. Williams (M.A. London, Ph. D. Strasburg), died in 1901 aged thirty-seven. His only full time assistant was Miss J. Henry, Newnham College, Cambridge, History Tripos 1893, Certificated Cam bridge Higher Local (Honours) and Royal Academy of Music. Other visiting teachers appear in the photo which was taken 1896(c).

12. Volunteer Band. H Co' (Abergele) Volunteer Band R.W.F. in front of the North and South Wales Bank and the Town Hall. This is another of the photographs of John Thomas and was probably taken the same time as the School Group. To the right is a glimpse of Victoria House where John Pierce (father of Mrs. Pye) had a saddlery and harness making business until 1905. Above the arched entrance, left, is the head of Robert Hughes, the builder of the Town Hall.

13. Tanrallt Bach Farmhouse 1887(c). This is another photograph by John Thomas. All the building materials were within astone's throw. The fields extended as far as the Harp Field next to the Harp Inn and the Smithfield. This site is visible alongside the new Tanral1t Bach in No. 76, in the middle distance right of centre. The site of the old lead mines pumping house is in the field next but one to the house to the north.

14. Delightful Pensarn Lane [before 1900). This view looks south towards the Castle Hotel. Because of increased traffic, especially bicycles, and the increasing numbers of cattle being taken to the railway station, together with the danger from runaway horses, the Council had decided to make a boulevard all the way from Water Street to Pensarn. The Countess of Dundonald of Gwrych Castle objected. She wished to keep Abergele as it was and would not sell the required land on the left-hand side of the picture.

15. Pensarn Lane (November 1900). The Council had wanted to keep the trees on the left hand in order to make a footpath beyend them and put a chain from tree to tree to separate the pedestrian on the boulevard from the road traffic. After the Countess had said 'No', the Council sought compulsory purehase orders. The Countess, intensely irritated, decided to cut down the trees to spite the Counci1.

ยท ,

'f ? , ,

16. Welcome Home to Lord Dundonald, 30 November 1900. Here we see the view looking South from the area outside the original railway station on the return of the local hero from the Boer War. On 28 February 1900 he had gained renown when his cavalry brigade entered Ladysmith which had been besieged for one hundred and thirty-four days. Over one hundred men pulled his coach from the station to Gwrych Castle. In the background are the trees of Pentre Mawr alongside Pensarn Lane.

17. Pensarn Cottage, November 1900. This house to the right of the triumphal arch was built in 1820 and demolished in 1902 to make room for the new approach to the remodelled railway bridge. Until the co ming of the railway and the building spree that began in the late 1840's, this house was the on1y one in Pensarn. To the right is the original railway station.

18. Pentre Mawr Farm Corner, November 1900. This bend in Pensam Lane was much more acute than its counterpart in present day Dundonaid Avenue. Behind the wall on the right-hand side were the considerable farm buildings of the Pentre Mawr Home Farm. There was a large stackyard on the left across the road from the farm. Originally the main road ran through Pentre Mawr trees and near the house.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek