Abergele in old picture postcards

Abergele in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mr. E. Wynne Williams
Gemeente
:   Abergele
Provincie
:   Conwy
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2268-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Abergele in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Groes L wyd in 1900( c). Fronhyfryd, 1eft foreground, had been built before 1861. The house on the right, Fron Deg, was built in the 1890's by Mary Anne, daughter of the Dr. Williams who had lived at an earlier Fron Deg in Water Street, which had been later called Brooklands after the death of Dr. Williams. Another of his daughers, the widow of Dr. Griffiths, built Hafod across the road in Queens Road. Originally Groes Lwyd extended as far as Fronhyfryd and then the road was Pwll Coch as far as Sea Road.

30. Sea Road - looking north. This picture shows it in its entirety as completed between 1861 and 1900. The on1y exit apart from the main street is at the Groes Lwyd entrance on the left in mid picture. Pwll Coch (see 29) was so called because of the reddish colour of the water in a deep pool that had been formed at this point by a stream. The entry road from Rhuddlan used to follow Peel Street as far as Water Street, and then into Groes Lwyd if continuing westwards.

31. Sea Road - looking north. The only two houses in Sea Road in 1861 were Roche House (vide 28) and the toll gate across the road. Both sides of Sea Road were wooded. These Sea Road houses, according to the records of the Visitor, the local newspaper, which carried the name of every visitor week by week, were very popular hostelries, situated as they were on the edge of the town amidst the fields.

ABERGELE GENE:RAl VIEW.

32. Abergele - General View. This picture of Sea Road was taken before 1898. It is possible to identify Fronhyfryd, in Groes Lwyd (vide 29) left of centre and Derby Terrace to the right of the second telegraph pole along the raad. This was the original road before the Sea Road bridge was built. The road was closed for almost a year, from 29 November 1913 during the period of the building of the bridge.

33. Sea Road, Abergele. This is the new Sea Road after the building of the Sea Road Bridge in 1914-15. The material forthe inc1ine up to the bridge was brought by the Railway Co. from the cutting at Ty Crwn near Hen Wrych where a bridge was also being built, and where the permanent way was extended to four lines instead of two.

34. Beach Concert Party 1900( cl. Here is a concert party on the beach with a camera tripod at the ready. The bathing huts were a souree of revenue and the attendant complained loudly when barefaced people changed unashamedly on the open beach. Entertainment was varied. As early as the 1880's efforts were made to get the services of the Llanddulas Brass Band.

35. Pensarn 1890(c). Looking to the southwest over Pensarn. The picture shows how building was arrested. The Presbyterian Chapel, a late addition to Pensarn in 1878, seems to be saying on the extreme 1eft, 'Thus far and no further', On the right are the less pretentious homes in Station Street, Cast1e Street, Railway Terrace and Chapel Street location of the Welsh Chapel (1858-1958).

36. Pensarn 1897. Tennis and croquet in full swing at the Recreation Ground, Pensarn, which was opened on 31 May 1897. The earliest guide to Abergele says that visitors are admitted as members and the terms are merely nominal. There was also a capital cricket ground where teams of visitors to Pensarn would do battle with teams of visitors from RhyL

37. Inkerman Terrace. The very name Inkerman dates this Terrace to the years immediately after 1854, the year in which the British troops defeated the Russians at the village of Inkerman, during the Crimean War. In 1897, for example, during one week in August there were one hundred and twelve guests in Inkerman Terrace. They came from Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow, generally in complete families with Nurse and Governess.

PENSARN. SOUTH PA~AOE ),/-<.,- e;j c( ~ ~~ ~

~~~~oJ~

38. South Parade. Built in the 1850's, like the other terraces, it adds to the general architectural uniformity of Pensarn. Nevertheless it has a certain Victorian solidity and dignity as it runs from west to east in parallel lines with its neighbours. The ground in front of South Parade was an extensive public lawn.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek