Abergele in old picture postcards

Abergele in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mr. E. Wynne Williams
Gemeente
:   Abergele
Provincie
:   Conwy
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2268-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Abergele in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

PENSARN KINMEl TERRACE.

39. Kinmei Terrace. There is an abruptness about the way the terraces were left in the 1850's. Had the land been available, it is possible that Abergele could at least have kept pace with its neighbours, Rhyl and Co1wyn Bay, The low building top left of the picture is St. David's Church, built in 1880 by Vicar David Evans to cater for an increasingly English population and for the visitors.

40. Pensarn Main Street 1900(c). In the foreground beyond the railway yard on the left is the Railway Inn and dominating the background the Cambrian Hotel. All the buildings were erected from 1846-1860. Centre picture on the right shows the Market Hall where fruit and vegetables and local farm pro duce were available.

t

1

.-

41. Pensarn Main Street - Pre-1902. This shows far centre picture the original Pensam Cottage which was demolished in 1902 to widen the approach to the new railway bridge. The scene looks westwards towards open fields and Gwrych Castle.

42. Market Street, 1899-1906. Looking east, the photo is dated by the presence of the old Ship Inn, demolished in 1906, and by the new George and Dragon of 1899. When the Ship Temperanee Café was opened in 1906-07, it was not built on the site of the Ship Inn but of the old Bull Inn, a small establishment on the corner of Chapel Street opposite the George. Between it and the Ship was a butcher's shop.

, ... ';

43. Abergele Fair Day, 1900-1907. In the middle distance on the right the old Ship Inn still stands. The gas lamp reminds us that Abergele had street lighting from 1865 when a start was made with two lamps, one at Canoldre and the other at the top of Sea Road. The trees on the right are in the Bee Gardens opposite the hotel. The carthorse was used to re move individual rubbish dumps.

44. Market Street 1910. At that time the shops from left foreground as far as the Town Hall were Manchester House (the Drapery of Henry Roberts), Canol Dre (Chemist), the Shoe Shop of Carty Hughes, the Ironmonger's Shop of W.A. Jones and the Saddler's of John Jones. The pony and trap have not yet been ousted by the motor car.

45. Panorama Looking North. An extraordinary panorama looking aeross the Llanfair Road from the present Compton Way. It embraees, from the left, the Bee Hotel and outbuildings, the original mortuary in the publie eemetery (1870), Mynydd Seion (1868), the Loek-up and Court Room (1848-1960), and in the right foreground the building at Talhaearn House.

46. The Town Hall. Built in 1867 by Robert Hughes, builder, and Post Master at Pensarn. Befare 1867 this space in Market Street had always been open, and used by gypsies, cheapjacks and caravans - even as an overnight resting place. An archway led to a Market area. Market Place houses were built at the same time and until very recent1y there was a way through, via Market P1ace, to Market St reet from Water Street. A sta ne still stands in Water Street with the words 'On Sufferance' writ large, showing the tenuous nature of the public's right of way.

47. Parisb Church. This is an early print, post 1850, of the tower and south side of the church, before the alterations of 1860-1887. The house to the 1eft is the vicarage (1848) and the house on the right is Brooklands in Water Street. The church tower belongs to the sixteenth century and the body of the church to the late fifteenth century.

48. Parish Church. This picture, facing northwest, shows the alterations made to the tower in the nineteenth century. The tower was raised some six feet and the buttresses added. This double naved church, founded possibly in the seventh century, is remarkable because of its size when one remembers the size of Abergele itself. However, the parish was then an extensive one.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek