Abergele in old picture postcards

Abergele in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mr. E. Wynne Williams
Gemeente
:   Abergele
Provincie
:   Conwy
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2268-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Abergele in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Dundonald Avenue. The new Dundonald Avenue of 1902 going south to Abergele with Pentre Mawr trees on the right. The highest point on the skyline, extreme left, is the hill fort of Dinorben, now completely quarried away. The stackyard of Pentre Mawr farm is visible centre, 1eft.

OU DO ALO AVE U . ABERGELE

50. Dundonald Avenue. The houses on the left were completed in 1902-03. Kinmel Avenue leading to Alexandra Road would not be opened for almost twenty years. Across the road, at present Clwyd Avenue, Councillor Squire Jacob operated tennis courts and a bowling green.

51. Peel Street Corner Shop 1900(c). Mannix, a likeable Irishman, and Prince, stepping out in Water Street. They were weIl known characters in late nineteenth century Abergele. They eked out a living carrying light loads from the station in a governess car. They lived at Jenkin Street. Prince was the subject of an elegy in Welsh after his sudden death while being shod at Parry's Smithy.

52. The Bee Bus. This bus plied between the station and the Bee Hotel for nearly seventy years, until it completed its course in 1921 because of lack of support. It used to meet every train. In 1922 a new motor bus service started between Abergele and Llanrwst. The horse bus carried four people on each side facing one another. Of interest in the picture is the pestle and mortar, the chemist's sign, half way up the wall, foreground, right.

53. Dundonaid Avenue 1908. Looking north, the picture shows the trees that were planted alongside the pavement from Pensarn to Water Street in 1902. The larger trees, on right, are those that escaped the Countess's axe in 1900. Eighty-one new trees were planted, each one being as high as a lamp post, and about five and a half inches in circumference. As many as fifty-seven failed to take root and were replaced in 1904.

54. Pentre Ucha Farm 1902. Looking from the Castle Hotel across the road at the junction of Water Street and Dundonald Avenue in mid picture, one sees the old farmhouse of Pentre Ucha. On the 1eft is the Welsh Congregational Chape1, built in 1861 at a co st of !2, 100. Snowfalls are rare in Abergele.

55. Bryn Aber. This house, on the edge of town going south to Llanfairtalhaearn, was built about 1848, mainly as a summer residence by a Manchester merchant, who had discovered that the new North Wales coast railway had made Abergeie accessible. The house became famous as the birthplace in 1851, of Robert Ambrose Jones (Emrys ap Iwan), whose father was the gardener and lived in the cottage behind the mansion. The house was only occupied at the time by the housekeeper and she saw to it that the gardener's son was bom in the comfort of the 'big' house.

56. Pentre Mawr. This was the ancestral home of the Jones Bateman family, one of the landed families of Abergele. Extensive additions were made to the original Tudor mansion in 1830. In 1850 fire destroyed all but the walls. Rebuilt in 1853, it became a Girls' Public School for some years in the early years of the twentieth century. The school moved to Gwaynynog Hall, Denbigh, In 1938 Pentre Mawr became the headquarters of the Abergele and District Urban District Council, and has been a Civic Centre ever since.

57. Bry ngwenallt, Built in the 1860's, Bryngwenallt was p1anned by the wen known architect Richard Owen (1831-1891), who also p1anned Mynydd Seion and two hundred and fifty chapels besides. The first owner was John Roberts, M.P. He was succeeded by his san, John Herbert Roberts, M.P., knighted in 1908 and raised to the peerage in 1919 as the first Baron Clwyd. The building stone was quarried from the Allt Wen at the rear of the house.

58. Kinmei Hall. The hall was built in the 1870's for H.R. Hughes (1827-1911) by Nessfield. It replaced an older mansion built by Lord Dinorben, whose father, Reverend Edward Hughes, had bought the original KinmeI Hall in 1786 as a first step towards becoming one of the foremost landowners in North Wales. Much of Abergele was owned by this estate and good relations always existed between the Hughes's of KinmeI and the townspeople.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek