Abergele in old picture postcards

Abergele in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mr. E. Wynne Williams
Gemeente
:   Abergele
Provincie
:   Conwy
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2268-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Abergele in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Gwry ch West En trance. A typical horse drawn coach sightseeing outside the decorative entrance to Gwrych Castle at the Llanddulas end. The castie was built in 1820 by Lloyd Bamford Hesketh as a memorial to his ancestors on his mother's side, the Lloyds of Gwrych. Four plaques are set in the wall on either side of the entrance and they commemorate some of the stirring deeds that happerred in this narrow gap between sea and hili known as the Thermopylae of Wales.

60. Sir J.H. Roberts' Welcome Home. This was the hero's welcome that John Herbert Roberts, M.P. (later Lord Clwyd) received on his return in 1908. He is seen addressing the crowd outside the Town Hall. His coach was pulled by his loyal supporters. He held the West Denbighshire se at for the Liberals for twenty-eight years and was Chairman of the Is Dulas Bench from 1919-1950. The local Fire Brigade is standing by on the right, foreground.

61. Bryn Coch Cottages. These were early nineteenth century cottages in St. George Road on the edge of town. There were eighteen cottages and the Rate Book of 1859 says they had an annua1 rental of i1.15s. In the 1860's the children living here were considered too ragged and unkempt to attend the Sunday School in the big chapel, so a special school was opened for them nearby at the Brynhyfryd washhouse.

62. Bryntirion Terrace. A noble terrace along the Llanfair road, built in the 1880's by William Ellis, Chemist at Canol Dre. He lived at Ty Mawr (wrth da1cen yr Eglwys), a house ne ar the gable end of the church according to LLuyd in 1696. He also built Glan Gele in Sea Road.

-:;:--

J{ber~ele

SlenfCel & Co., I ... eeƫee E. C. 39 Redcross Su-eet 1 ? .:;:H

63. Market Street 1900. The Hovis sign notes the grocery store of William Littler, one of Abergele's leading business men during the second half of the nineteenth century. He had acquired the High Street windmill in 1860, extended it and installed a steam engine with a huge fly wheel to drive the stones. Corn was ground to supply Litt1er's chain of stores with flour. In the foreground, left, was the Bryn, home of R.K. Jones, who was the town's first ever cyclist,

64. Red Lion. Situated in Bridge Street, this was one of the town's most famous inns. When it was sold in 1914 for .f.285, it eomprised an entrance hall with vestibule door, two sittingrooms, kitehen, back-kitchen, six goed eellars, yard, two three stall stables with loft, and coachhouse. Next door, out of picture on left, had stood the original town loek-up.

65. Bridge Street and Hesketh Hotel. The Hesketh, on the right, foreground, was originally ealled the Bodelwyddan Arms. The large room above the entry was onee a private school in the 1870's. Befare the adjoining house beeame a part of the hotel in the 1880's, it had been the home of Dr. Owen, a surgeon of repute, who kept his surgery in the basement.

66. Harp Inn. Here undergoing rep airs early in the twentieth century, The Harp, apart from the Parish Church, is the oldest building in the town. Tradition has it that it occupied the site of the medieval jail. The Harp, known at one time as The CeIlar, was one of the few of the sixteen inns and hotels devoted entirely to hostelry. Most of the others had a shop as weIl.

67. Wells and Crown Stores. The two shops were originally the one Crown Hotel which boasted in 1891 that it was situated opposite the new Post Office (No. 22). The picture shows the opening to Crown Street where, in 1881, there were eight cottages.

OlD ABERGELE.

68. Old Abergele. The junction of High Street, on the left, with Llanfair Road to the right. All the whitewashed cottages were pre-l86l, while Penybanc Terrace (1eft foreground) was built in the 1860's after the demolition of Penybanc Cottage, which was across the way at the present entrance to Mynydd Seion.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek