Abergele in old picture postcards

Abergele in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mr. E. Wynne Williams
Gemeente
:   Abergele
Provincie
:   Conwy
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2268-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Abergele in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The Gatehouse Gwry ch Castle. To the left the leafy Tan y gopa raad led to Rhydyfoel, and to the right the tumpike raad to Llanddulas. After the building of the gatehouse in the 1820's, a fine avenue of trees extended all the way to the Castle. Coaches, horsedrawn, were welcome to take this avenue in the late nineteenth century, and proceed to the west entrance near Llanddulas for a charge of two shillings. The proceeds went to charity.

70. St. George Raad. The picture shows how this old highway from St. Asaph was developed in 1904. Previously the nearest house to the town in this raad had been Brynhyfryd, an early nineteenth century mansion. A10ng this road came the Royal Mail Coach from 1785-1848. The raad was controlled by the turnpike gate near Dinorben quarry, In 1866 a road was opened from Bodtegwal to join the Rhuddlan road at the lower Tollgate and St. George raad lost its heavy traffic.

71. County School. Opened in 1898 as an intermediate school to accommodate seventy pupils, it had to be enlarged in 1904. Kinmel donated the land for building. The field had originally housed the loeal pound for stray animals, mainly donkeys.

!

I

72. Arrival of H.H. Princess Louise Augusta. Despite generous donations, particularly from the Bryngwenallt family, the School had fallen into debt to the tune of several hundred pounds in 1902. The purpose of the Grand Bazaar was to raise funds. The presence of royalty is due to Miss Mary Hughes of Kinmei, daughter of H.R. Hughes, having been a Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Victoria.

73. Gele Avenue. This imposing avenue was built in 1906 by the builder who had developed St. George Road, many of the houses in Groes Lwyd and the houses in Dundonald Avenue (see No. 50), etc. He was Isaac Roberts (1843-1914). The timber in these houses was purchased frorn the Llanfairtalhaeam Mines Co. The river Gele flows from 1eft to right in the foreground.

74. The Dustlayer. This vital service of dustlaying with a sprinkler was called for until the animal sales were taken off the street about 1911 and the roads became tarmacked. Up to 1914 the roads were made by crushing stones to an even surface with a steam roller. After market days especially a disinfectant was added to the water. One of the reasons why the shopkeepers supported the demand for a Local Board in the 1860's was that a Board, for reasons of public health, would make provision for alleviating the dust nuisance.

75. The Harp Smithfield 1912. There is a newness about the building and fencing. Frank Lloyd, Sons, and Sheffield were advertising in October 1912 that they had the oldest and best market in the district. At the same time Richard Pearce was announcing the great success of his sales in the Bee Hotel Srnithfield. At the other end of the town Jones and Beardmore had also opened a mart at the Hesketh, The motor car, and increasing trade, had at last driven the animals off the street.

76. The Harp Smithfield 1912. Modern marketing by auction had arrived and from the height of Castell Cawr, the ancient hill fort on the highest point in mid picture, the active visitor could look down over the broad acres of Tanrallt Bach and Tanrallt, and away beyend to the open sea.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek