Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   A.R. May
Gemeente
:   Aylesbury
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5902-9
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

~::~

THE COUNTY HALL. A YLESBURY. in 1845. (From Illustraied: London News).

18. The same area but showing the ancient White Hart Inn with its replacement frontage, built 1814.This came from Eythorpe House when the same was demolished by Lord Chesterfield in high dudgeon. The White Hart, on this site since the 15th century, had very extensive grounds. After this building was demolished in 1864, the liccnce and the figure of the White Hart itself, which was the gift of Capt. Paulett of Addington House to MI. IK. Fowler, moved down to the stables on Exchange Street, which was the extent of the grounds, and became the replacement White Hart public house. This shows the ba!cony on the front of the County Hall, from which the hangings were executed. This was known as the new drop, the last one being in 1845. The ba!cony was removed soon afterwards. The smaller building on the right was a residence of Dells the brewers. John Wilkes was a regular visitor to the original White Hart, even heading much of his correspondence from this address.

The Market, Aylesbury

19. The northwest side of the Market Square, showing on the left the Coach & Harses, next door just out of the picture was the Cross Keys. Further up in earlier times had been the White Horse, a 15th century pub that closed down and later became the Old Beams tea rooms. Aiongside Jones & Cocks the ironmongers was the alley running up past Jones & Cocks warehouse and the park Lantem to Market Street. The Ciock Tower (recently restored) was built in 1876 by Webster & Cannon. The foundation stone was Iaid by Mrs. Acton Tindal on 11th August 1876. The 70 ft high tower was the new home for the clock which had previously surmounted the old octagonal market house, since being presented to the town by Mr. Acton Tindal, when he purchased the manor of AyIesbury in 1857. It had onIy been up there ni ne years when the building was demolished. The Ciock Tower, built by public subscription, provided a new site for it. at a cast of f750. The tower incorporated, on the right, a drinking fountain, which has not worked for decades. The stone for the building of the tower came from the Blackthorn quarries.

20. This card, postmarked January 1913, shows on the right, halfway up the square (the building with the tall chimney) the National Westminster Bank, beyond is Haie Leys Square and the entrance to the old Bull's Head. Haie Leys Square actually also referred to the passage which continued all the way through to the High Street. The Congregational Schools and Church House were located behind the Congregational Church. Coming down the square the shops are Mark & Lee, stationers, bath prodigious drinkers. One of my Iather's boyhood jobs was to remave the empty whisky bottles, which accumulated behind the shop at the rate of two per day, for which service he received sixpence per week. He taak them to Jackson's the scrap merchant and sold them for another sixpence! Next is Armstrongs, also stationers, then the International Stores and Boots the Chernist, and lastly the entrance to the Market Theatre, where many of our famous actars and artistes made early appearances. Ah! The roar of the grcasepaint, the smell of the crowd! No, that is the right way round, if any of Ouilter's men from the sausage casing factory were in there you could smell them three rows back, they could not get rid of the smell for days, however much they washed! Ah! The good old days! Alright we know greasepaint doesn't roar - this is poetic licence - 1 must get it renewed befare it expires!

21. This card, taken between 1912 and 1921, shows in the distanee at the bottom of the southwest side ofthe square, Goodridge's dining rooms. The large premises of Freeman Hardy Willis, shoe shop, and next door Arthur Watts, bootmaker. the Maypole dairy grocers, hidden behind John Hampden's memorial, then the Home & Colonial groeers and Foster Brothers, gents outfitters. Again a cattIe mark et in progress. Notiee the old hand cart in the right foreground.

22. An earlier view of the top corner of the square in Edwardian times showing c.P. West. tailor and outfitters, the International Stores, later to move across the square, and William McIlroy's. Here is Market Street, then we see Robert Scott, tobacconists, who succeeded George Margesson Adams, it reverted to Adams after the Second World War. Here is the entrance to the ancient King's Head. Next Thomas Field & Son, gold- and silversmiths in London, Paris and Aylesbury, also one time gunsmiths in Aylesbury. Fields were in business in the town from 1804 until the 1930's. Next McIlroy who also 'woz 'ere'!

Markd Place, Ayl~sbury.

23. Continuing along the top of the square, this card dated 1914, McIlroy's, the advertising on the front stating, China, Glass, Enamel & Hardware Showrooms. Next is T.R. Seaton, wine merchants until the early twenties, when the family concentrated on other trades i.e.-motor dealers, railway company agents, farmers etc. These premises then became known as the George Bodega. Bodega being the Spanish word for a wine vault or cellar, a word brought back to this country by the troops who served in the Peninsular War, 1808-1814, with Sir John Moore and Sir Arthur Wellesley. The burial of Sir John Moore at Corunna, 1809, was beautifully recorded by Charles Wolfe Not a drum was heard, not a [uneral note, / As his corpse to the rampart we hurried; / Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot /0 'er the grave wh ere our hero we buried. Next the George Inn, of which morelater, and finishing with Lloyds Bank, previously the Bucks & Oxon Union Bank, and The Old Bank, established 1795.

24. The same area in a more modern card, showing the George having lost the Bodega from its title. Interesting that the advertising for the Bull's Head, half way down the square, hangs on the front of the George. Next James Walker, jewellers, and Montague Burton Ltd., built in the 1930's, replacing the old George Inn, which had closed down early in 1921. These premises later became the headquarters of the local Territorials, in July 1921 housing their guns and vehicles in the extensive outbuildings. At the other side of the entrance to Kingsbury is Brooke House, which replaced the ancient building of Bradfords, ironmongers, previously Sarsons. Next Cambridge Street, the Round House th en the High Street. Just out ofthe picture, to the right stands the statue of Benjamin Disraeli, M.P. for Bucks 1847-1876, unveiled on 6th September 1923, and designed by H.C. Fehr.

25. A similar area on mark et day, befare 1920, showing Bradfords, ironmongers aforementioned. Also shown on the right the tall, grocers' building demolished to clear the site for the London Joint City & Midland Bank, opened on 30th May 1921. Note the farmer on the left staggering towards the King's Head.

26. Another shot of similar area but looking down weil into Cambridge and High Streets. Note the directional signs on the lamp post; in those days trafik used to come through the town centre. Also note the horse-drawn transport and the policeman on duty in front of King & Sainsbury's,

27. John Hampden, the man whose refusal to pay ship tax contributed to causing the Civil War. The statue is supposed to be sited on the route taken by John Hampden and his troops on their return march from the Battle of Aylesbury at Holrnan's Bridge, Buckingham Road, on 1st November 1642. There is much controversy about the numbers involved, as both sides lied and exaggerated at the time, accounts varying between a minor skirmish and a battle with 12,000 men involved. In 1818, in a field adjoining Holrnan's Bridge, a mass grave was discovered, revealing 247 skeletons, later re-interred at Hardwiek by Lord Nugent M.P. If these remains were truly ofthe Battle of Aylesbury it must have been a considerable engagement. One cannot do justice to it in the space we have here, suffice it to say that on the Royalist side were Prince Rupert and Sir Lewis Dives and Commissary Willmott, and on the Parliament side Sir William Balfour, Charles Pyrn, Captain Herbert Blanchard and part of John Hampden's regiment of Greencoats. What is definitely known is that the Royalists received a good hiding and never again tried to take Aylesbury, except by deception or betrayal. Hampden was wounded at the Battle of Chalgrove Field on 18th June 1643 and died six days later at Thame.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek