Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   A.R. May
Gemeente
:   Aylesbury
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5902-9
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

28. The ancient King's Head dates back to about 1450 and is quite unspoiled, it was in constant use until a couple ofyears ago and is now sadly missed, one hopes it will soon be re-open ed. This photo shows the entrance passage to the court yard and the great oak gates that secured it. Under the small window is the trap door entrance to the cellar steps. It was here at the King's Head in 1651 that Oliver Cromwell received the dele gates sent by Parhament to congratulate hirn on his victory at Worcester. During the 17th century. the King's Head issued its own token coinage, some of these may be seen in the fine collection oflocal tokens and coinage in the County Museum, largely put together by Mr. Edwin HolIis F.Z.S., Curator of the Bucks Archaeological Society for many years.

29. A fine illustration of the King's Head window, printed in Saxony early this century. The window is one of the earlrest glazcd windows in the country, with much original glass. One of thc upper stained glass lights displays the arms of Margaret of Anjou, wife of Henry VI, which confirms thc period of thc window as circa 1445. Threc panes of lcaded glass from this wind ow now lie in the British Museum and two more are built into a window of Westminster Abbcy. Still remaining are thc Arms of Prince Edward, who was killed at the Battle of Tewkesbury. The Royal Arms indicate that it may have been built as a Guild House, therc was a guild of AyJesbury, established in 1425, which was probably its original owner.

Old KinQs Head, Rvl~sburv.

30. A charming early card of the Edwardian period, During the Civil War Crornwell had his headquarters here, and the bar still housed his chair until the King's Head closed. Many generations have seated themselves in it since Cromwe!l's time, most people did not find it cornfortable, it was high backed, hard, and short in the se at. We always feit we had to take our colonial cousins up there to sit thern in it to give them something to talk about when they went back horne. There are many tales of Civil War period spy holes and listening panels in the fabric of the building, used during this time when troops and townsfolks rubbed shoulders in the Great Hall. The King's Head saw great nurnbers of troops again during the first war when Kitchener's army marched through Aylesbury resting for lunch in the Market Square.

31. Our last look at the King's Head is a night time shot, which gives a serene atmosphere to the ancient building, Inside was always a most convivial atmospherc, especially on a winter's evening, with a roaring log fire in the great stone fireplace and the high-backed settles to keep the draughts off. Our forefathers knew how to build properly, with the high ceiling giving a great feeling of space and letting the smoke rise out ofthe way. A marvellous place to spend the evening with friends and come home feeling at peace with the world. The King's Head was given to the National Trust in 1926 by the Rothschilds ofTring Park.

32. A good ear1y photo of the George Hotel. We see it here as it was rebuilt in the early 1800·s. It is shown on the 1809 map as such but was originally known as the 'Paved Hall'. Gibbs, in his history of Aylesbury 1885, describes the earlier building as of mean appearance, it had narrowly escaped destruction by a furious mob at the County Election of 1784. The mob destroyed the hustings and polling booths and, armed with these materials attacked the George. The occupants and guests succeeded in re peiling their assailants and saved the building. Eighty of the rioters were imprisoned. The Goal was infected with the spotted fever and some died of it. others discharged infected, resulting in the spread of the disease and several more deaths. Gibbs lists a fine collection of paintings at the George believed to have come from Eythorpe House when that mansion was demolished in 1810. Benjamin Disraeli frequently stayed here and used to address the crowd in the Market Square. One occasion recorded was in 1874 when, as Leader of the Opposition, Disraeli addressed the townspeople through a window ofthe George, criticizing the terms on which the Government had secured the freedom of the Malacca Straits.

Rull's Head Hotel. 15th Century Hostel.

Aylesbury.

33. A good advertising card of the Bull's Head, early 1920's, showing the car coming up from the garage at the rear, which was a 17th century barn. The Bull's Head dated back to the 15th century as mentioned in large letters across the frontage. This false frontage was added by the owner Giacomo Gargini around 1920. He was also Mayor of Aylesbury in the 1930's. In Gatgini's time the Bull's Head was famous for its French cuisine. This inn was at one time connected with the King's Head by an underground passage, blocked off before the turn of this een tury.

34. A more recent view, showing the ornate ironworks across the entrance. This smal! square of ground was called Haie Leys Square, though not many people knew that until the new covered shopping precinct was built and named Hale Leys. The Bull's Head, demolished 1969, and the Congregational Church, demolished in 1980, cleared the site for the new precinct. Hale Leys refers to the open meadows which this area of high ground was, prior to 1826, when the New Road was built as a direct route to Tring. New Road later became High Streel. It is possible that the name Hale may come from an old Aylesbury family. The 1809 map shows only half a dozen dwellings and a meeting house in this entire area.

35. The original Guildhall or Market House, supposedly erected by Sir John Baldwyn, Knight, Lord Chief Justice and Lord of the Manor. Sir John purchased the Manor of Aylesbury in 1530 and built th is Market House at that time. King Henry VIII provided the timber. This engraving was based on a model of the Market House preserved by a Mr. Jasper Jackson of Aylesbury. The engraving seems to have been produced by Gibbs prior to 1880. The reputation of Henry VIII has always suffered from a bad press. Henry, bom 1491, came to the throne in 1509 and married Catherine of Aragon the same year. She bore Henry seven children by 1518, all, except the Princess Mary, died in infancy. By 1533 Henry, now 42, desperate for a male heir, besotted with Anne Boleyn, 'The Fair Maid of Aylesbury', married her, in secret, in January. He made Cranmer Archbishop of Canterbury, to annul his marriage to Catherine in March, and declared his marriage to Anne Boleyn in June. Incidentally the name was originally Bullen, not Boleyn, her father William Bullen was Lord of the Manor of Aylesbury 1515-1530. It was possibly this assoeiation with Aylesbury that inspired Henry to give us the timber for the Market House. Anne bore the Prineess Elizabeth, whose father may well have been Arme's musie master; Anne was beheaded in 1535. Henry in undue haste married Jane Seymour, who bore hirn his son Edward VI, born 1537. Jane died only twelve days later.

36. The original Market House was pulled down about 1806-1808 and replaced immediately by this octagonal one, by the Marquis of Buckingham. This engraving was produced by Gibbs. There are photos of this building, my father used two in his book in 1985, but they are rare. This building was demolished in 1866, no longer required, as we had the new one at the bottom of the square built by the Aylesbury Market Co. in 1865. The cupola held the market bell from 1808, but the clock was not added unti11857, presented by Mr. Acton Tindal when he purchased the manor. As is shown in the previous illustration there was a clock, mounted on a projecting beam, on the old original market house; this was the second public clock in this country. The principal manor in Aylesbury was a Royal Manor until the reign of King John, who granted it to Geoffrey Fitz-Piers in 1204. In 1297 it passed, by marriage, to the family of Boteler. The third Bateier was created Earl of Ormonde. It remained in this family until1515 when it passed by marriage to Sir William Bullen, whose son Thomas, Anne Boleyn's brother, was recreated Earl of Ormonde. He sold it to Sir John Baldwyn, in 1530, whose daughter Catherine carried it, by marriage, into the Pakington family, whence it continued eight generations untill802. It was then sold, by Sir John Pakington n.CL., 8th Baronet, to George Grenville, Marquis of Buckingham, whose son was created Duke of Buckingham. The Manor was sold in 1848 to John Parker ES.A. of Wycombe, who held the Manor until his death in 1906, but sold the estates to Acton Tindal in 1857, and many ofthe rights to tolls of the market and fairs to the Aylesbury Market Company.

.n:U::Sßl:RY :YARKJ:.J.' HOUSE, Ereeted about 1 0 .

37. Looking into Kingsbury, erroneously referred to by many as Kingsbury Square, which it is not and never has been. This card shows Wheeler's, the forerunners of Jowett's the inronmongers; Gulliver's, the wine merchants. are further along and the sign of the Cock Inn can be seen projecting. Much of Kingsbury still beingprivate houses at this time. this card is postmarked 1904. In ancient times the Manor House stood along the top.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek