Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   A.R. May
Gemeente
:   Aylesbury
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5902-9
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

38. A road train in Kingsbury about the turn of the century. The road locornotive appears to be a Fowler, pulling two timber wagons with a massive load of logs, on their way to a sawmill. Imagine the noise as this lot rolled across the cobbles! We have a good view of the Eagle Inn, selling Brackleys fine ales; Adams tobacconists is the last tall building in the row: The lettering 'CIGARS', wntten between the first and second floor windows, can still be seen. Note there is a round pillar box just in front of the road locomotive; this has deserted its original post and can now be found on the opposite side of Kingsbury.

?...

39. Kingsbury continuing down the east side, from the previous photo. Here we see Gulliver's wine merchants and sundry other shops which are anonyrnous due to the sunblinds. The building with the very tall chimneys is the ancient Black Swan Inn. It was a live-gabled building, the gable nearest to us being of three storeys, the rest of two. This was largely a timber-framed building with wattle and daub infill. It was all demolished in 1883, save the final gable, fronting onto the Market Square, which had already been an ironmongers for many years and continued sa as Sarson's and later Bradford's. On the extreme right we see the frontage of the Angel Inn with its sign hanging out on the lang ornate bracket; this sign and bracket is now in the Victoria & Albert Museum.

40. A lovelyphotograph of Kingsbury taken not very long after the previous one, as here we see the scaffolding up and the building ofthe new premises, on the site of the old Black Swan Inn, nearing completion. We see half ofThe Eagle on the left, then all of the Cock Inn and a much better view of The Angel Inn on the right of the tree and The Red Lion Inn to the right again. The water pump behind the three girls was put up about 1833 and removed in 1894 as the supply was polluted. The Chiltern Hills spring water company was formed on 19th May 1865 and supplied Aylesbury with 'the piped water' that you couldn't taste, which came from reservoirs at Dancer's End, Buckland, and Newground near Berkhamsted. One wonders how far the poor little mite, with the big bundie of firewood, has to carry it. We have to th ank Peggy Sale for this photograph.

41. No. 27 Kingsbury. Ivatts boot and shoe makers, in business here since 1723, when RobertIvatts opened during the reign of George 1. Here we see John Charles Ivatts in the doorway. The family continued in business here for seven generations: 226 years in one family must be the record for any Aylesbury business. In 1949 it was sold to an old established Norwich firm of shoe retailers. They kept the name and moved from this site about 1984. The business is still in the town in the Haie Leys shopping centre. On the 1809 map one of the Ivatts is shown in residence in Church Street and another in business in Silver Street as weIl as the Kingsbury shop. Worth a mention befare we leave Kingsbury is the Victoria Working Mens Club, built for the town by Baron Ferdinand J. De Rothschild M.P. and opened by hirn on Whit Monday 1887. In 1932 the membership subscription to the Victoria Club was live shillings, whereas the cast at the Literary Institute was thirty-six shillings and sixpence. Again we thank Peggy Sale for this photo from her family album.

42. The 17th century Foresters Arms in Pebble Lane, previously known as Church Row until the 1930's. Note the cobbled street, one of the few in Aylesbury which still remains so. The Foresters Arms, during the 1920's and 1930's, was kept by a Mr. Matthew Carey, who used to do more business down in the cellar out of licencing hours than was done when the pub was supposed to be open. Licencing hours were introduced during the First World War as part of the 'Defence of the Realm act', to try to cut drunkenness and improve war production and we got stuck with restricted opening for the next seventy-odd years. Later the pub became locally known as 'the fleapit', though it was still called the Foresters Arms until it closed down in the early 70's. It became Pebbles bistro restaurant, part owned by Christopher Pallett, the estate agent, and a very good restaurant it was too. We have to thank Dr. G. FarneIl for this photo.

43. Back Buckingham Streel. This card is postmarked 1906, but the scene is about 1890. We are looking through into Kingsbury, note the cottages on the far side. As I said earlier much of Kingsbury was residential at this period. The buildings on the left, North's shop and other premises behind it. were demolished in the early seventies, when the road exit from Kingsbury was widened; the building on the left with the gable window still exists.

44. Back Street, this photo shows why it was so called, it was the backs of the Kingsbury premises. Befere the start of a town refuse collection service in 1925, all the rubbish was dumped out here from the Kingsbury shops, it had a reputation of being one of the dirtiest parts of town. In earlier photos, chickens are usually seen scratching over the heaps of rubbish. This photo was supplied to us by Mary Farnei!. I discovered the following poem written on 17th November 1903. I believe it referred to A.T. Adkins cycle business established 1876. Now it could equally weil apply to Bakers cycle store opposite the above scene.

There is an Aylesbury Store they say Where cycles stand in grand array Same are the best that can be made And some the cheapest in the trade There are machines of every grade.

The frames are made offinest steel And jointless rims has every wheel With Dunlap tyres and clinchers toa (And what we say, we do, we do,) They're easy running light and true.

And al! the other things we sell From motor car to cycle bel!

Saddles and lampsfree wheels and brakes And coaster hubs of various makes

And everything a cycle takes.

Percy P.T. Pearce

45. This photograph is taken fram a similar spot as the previous card, but looking down Buckingham Street about 1906. On the right The Buckingham Arms, a pub now owned by MI. Masullo. Inside there is a good collection of Aylesbury photos to be seen on the walls. Next the entrance to the street known as Buckingham Arms yard, running down to New Street, once known as Back Lane. Among the shops on the right are Plater's gent's outfitters, Miss Peskett's ladies' outfitters, Mead Brothers grocers, and the shop with the balcony is Jenns & Sons, house furnishers.

46. Another of Horace Hunt's excellent Edwardian photographs shows the Wesleyan Chapel built 1893-1894 designed by Messrs. 1. Weir and W.F. Taylor, opened on 19th April 1894 and seating 650 people. Later additions were the Hall and Sunday School designed by Fred Taylor. These buildings were opened by MI. Lionel de Rothschild O.B.E. on 21st Aprill921. Luckily the council have never yet wanted to pull this one down.

47. The Royal Bucks Hospital, partially hidden by the luscious growth of trees, another of Horace Hunt's photographs. Founded 1833, rebuilt as this 1861-1862 extended 1908 and many times sin ce. We saved it from destruction by the Hospital Authorities in recent years by dint of much strong public protest. They wanted to clear the site and raise the most money possible from the sale, many of us feIt that it was important that the building was preserved, as it is a fine example of one of the first model hospitals built in this country. Also for its importance for its association with Florence Nightingale, who contributed to its design. I said at the time, as it was built and paid for by local private people we didn't need a laad of bureaucrats to pul! it down. When Florence Nightingale returned from the Crimea, she came to Claydon House, the home of her sister and brother-in-law Sir Harry Verney. In Scutari she had worked tirelessly to improve nursing, realizing th at hygiene, sanitation, light and fresh airwere the essentials to good nursing and the return to health. Later, Sir Harry Verney was concerned in the plans to rebuild the Royal Bucks Hospital. Florence with her vast experience of the problems, helped with the designs, for the re building ofthe R.B.H. and the creation of other new hospitals and schools of nursing. One of these innovations can be seen in the photo, the 'portholes' in the roof are part of the new ventilation system.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek