Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   A.R. May
Gemeente
:   Aylesbury
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5902-9
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Aylesbury in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

58. Eight months later, Peace Day Celebrations, Saturday 19th July 1919. High Street looking up towards the Congregational Church. The first banner is the Aylesbury Lodge of Freemasons, established on 6th October 1841. The Masonic Hall in Ripon Street was built on the site of the old Fives or Raquet court. and opened by the Grand Master. Sir Daniel Gooch Bart M.P. on 3rd May 1882. It was the property of the Buckingham Lodge No. 591. It has been enlarged and improved twice since.

59. While we are in holiday mood, here is the Silver Queen char-à-banc, which on summer Sunday afternoons was to be found in the Market Square offering a trip to the Wendover Hills, or some other beauty spot within easy reaeh. Same of the passengers seem happier about it than others. It seems to have had six rows of seats and held about twenty-Iour people, and all agog to dash through thick and thin.

60. Aylesbury Town Ere Brigade, a magnificent turn out, but not as impressive as when it had horse-drawn engines and they used to gallop the great horses up Friarage Passage from Seatons yard to the old fire station on the corner of Bourbon Streel. It didn't pay you to be going down Friarage Passage when a couple of tons ofhorses were coming up th at narrow way at speed. Anyhow, back to these gallant fellows led by Charles Ivatts. They are kitted up with state ofthe art equipment including 'Salvus breathing apparatus'. The rear engine is the slightly more modern ofthe two.

Up the ladder the fireman flew

Jolly good ladder, good fireman toa.

61. A beautiful shot of White Hili by Horace Hunt circa 1905, looking down the hili, with the Prebendal grounds on the left and Roscoe's estate on the right, both hidden by high brick walls. The cottages are believed to be squatter's cottages, built on the verge about the 1730's. This one was MI. Stanley's, the general dealer, with his old dog outside. These had gone by 1964.

62. Oxford Road looking towards Castle Street. The white building on the left is part ofThe Hen & Chickens, kept by Thomas Locke. Facing us is The Rising Sun, an early 17th century pub. a fine old building of considerable interest. destroyed in 1963 to make way for the ringroad.

63. This is a very go ad card of the ducks. It shows clearly why Aylesbury ducks were so popular, as they were a deep bodied duck with much meat on them. Westons were always the biggest producers in Mount Street. There were several generations of 'Ducky' Westons regardless of what their Christian names were! At the height of the Aylesbury Duok's fame, production was approximately a quarter of a million per annum. The duck business was in decline by the 1920's, due Jargely to disease caused by the ground having become foul and infected, after decades of use for duck breed ing. Another contriouting factor was the ever increasing cast of the duck food. This card shows the true Aylesbury Duck, not the adulterated version after cross breeding with the more upright Pekin duck that was introduced in the 1870's.

64. Castle Street circa 1930, on the right Timothy East Ltd. Hide, skin, meat, offal, fat, bone and wool merchants, also coal merchants; their address was the old Brewery, Castle Street. CastIe Street now has na public houses, it used to have five, with the Rising Sun, bottom right, and the White Lion, opposite on the left. The Plume of Feathers stood on the right, the preservation order for which came down from Whitehall the week after it had been demolished! The Half Maan, also on the right further up, is still there, but now a private house, and the Black Horse, at the top of the street on the Ieft, was in the first half of this century a cheap doss house.

65. Green End House on Riektord's Hill, This photo taken by Mr. May in 1865 shows to the left the older part of the house, the residence of Mrs. Riekford in the early 1800's. Next door, in the classical fronted residence, lived her son William Riekford from 1795 unti11855. He founded the üld Bank in the premises, next to the King's Head alley, that became Thomas Fields in the Market Square. William Riekford was M.P. for Aylesbury from 1818 to 1841. This area was in earlytimes known as Pitches HilI; by 1809 it had become Green End, after a Mr. Green who previously lived in this house, and now it is known as Riekfords HilI, after Mr. William Riekford. It may, if we carry this system on, become Vineys HilI after Mr. EIliott Viney, we shaIl have to wait and see. In the garden of Green End House was erected what is believed to beo the temains of the 15th century east window from St. Mary's Church, after Gilbert Scott's restoration of the church, in 1848-1869, which replaced this original window with three lancet windows. It was removed here from the garden of Ardenham House; previously it was sited in Cam bridge Place.

66. The other side of Rickford's Hili. Looking past the Friarage on the right the residence of Colonel Guy Crouch M.e. T.D. D.L. LL.B., Solicitor and Clerk of the Peace, Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding the Bucks Battalion. Facing us at the end of Bourbon Street are the Public Baths, built 1894-1895, opened by Baron Ferdinand 1. de Rothschild on 3rd June 1R95, who paid two thirds of the building costs. The indoor swimmingpool (62 ft x21 ft) closed in July 1939 fouryears after the Vale open air pool had beenopened. I don't see this as a great step forward. The Bourbon Street pool remained there unused until the demolition of the building in 1960. Previously on this site was Dell's Brewery part earlier known as the Waterhouse, as it supplied some of the town's water before the days of the Chiltern Hills Spring Water Company, with water from a round tank filled by a horse wheel pump from the Friarage Brook.

67. The High Street looking towards the Market Square circa 1920. On the right the National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd. At the top left the tal! building is the Crown Inn on the corner of the Market Square.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek