Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50156 Library:50527 in /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/database.req.php on line 15

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/database.req.php:15) in /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/require.req.php on line 2

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/database.req.php:15) in /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/require.req.php on line 2
Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek | Aylesford in old picture postcards | boeken | alfabetisch-overzicht
Aylesford in old picture postcards

Aylesford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James H. Sephton
Gemeente
:   Aylesford
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2243-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Aylesford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The Bush Inn at 17 Roehester Road Aylesford was formerly part of the Preston Hall estate. The Bush was built on the site of a former school room. On 18 april 1904 Henry Leonard Campbell Brassey of Preston Hall sold the Bush to Style and Winch Ltd. The figure standing in the doorway is probably the tenant Bartram Harris, when this picture was taken about 1905-06. Subsequently the tenancy was held for many years by the Atkins family,

40. The centre of the High Street is dominated by the George. This quaint timbered building was a coaching inn near the frequented route between Roehester and Maidstone. By repute it dates from 1560. After 1674, the property was known as 'The Windmill and the George'. After being restored in 1714, the name was simplified to 'The George'. Ralph James Fremlin took possession in 1873. Consequently, the occupiers were tenants of Fremlins Breweries. H.E. Epps was the tenant between 1884 and 1899. Then followed Frederick Allen. Edwin Taylor aspired to the tenancy in 1910, but stayed only four months. Williarn Buggs succeeded until his suicide in 1922. Albert Longhurst was the tenant between 1922 and 1932.

41. Over many years there bas been loeal concern over the loss of human life by drowning in the River Medway. A mechanical resuscitator, invented and hand made by John Head of Harrietsham about 1840, was presented to the parish of Aylesford by John Adams in 1842. This resuscitator consists of a pair of hand bellows and an arrangement of push-fit metal tubes of various orifices, This life-saving device was deposited with Mr. J.e. Joy at Our Lady's Bridge House. A more conventional life-saving apparatus for use in emergencies, in the form of a cork life-belt, was provided by the parish council. This life-belt was mounted on the west wall of the George.

42. On the western end of the High Street is the Chequers Inn, built as a wool merchant's house in 1511, and converted into a coaching inn about 1740. About 1890, when our picture was taken, the Chequers was leased to Holmes and Style's Brewery, George William Brooks was the tenant. The Chequers was amongst properties which belonged to the Baldoek family of East Mailing. In 1901 Captain Edward Baldoek of Belvedere, East Malling, bequeathed all his estates to his sister Mary Ann's son, Oliver Janson Leigh Bird. In 1901 the Chequers was let to Style and Winch Ltd. of Maidstone on a repairing lease for forty years at an annual rental of .tl35. On the eastern end of the Chequers was an adjacent cottage and a loek-up shop. At the age of seventy years, George William Brooks died on 27 January 1911. The surviving son died of wounds in France on 10 August 1917 at the age of twentyseven years,

43. At the turn of the 19th century, salmon were caught in clear running waters at Aylesford. Until as late as the 1920's the women of the village were in the habit of taking the family laundry down to the water's edge. It was a common sight to see lines of laundry drying on washday. Along a narrow cul-de-sac called 'The Quay', which forks off the High Street, we have No. 79 High Street on the left of our picture. In the centre is 65 High Street and Riverside House at 67 High Street, which was formerly the village surgery, On the right is the patio of the Chequers Inn.

44. At the western end of "The Quay' is Wiekham Lodge, Behind the white facade on the south with its Georgian period poreh, is a single property whieh has been converted from two earlier timberframed cottages known as 'Wickham Cottages'. The massive red briek ehimney is a eommon feature. In one of the ground floor rooms is a wide fireplace of dressed ragstone of Tudor dating. The original roof may have been in thatch, This has long since been replaeed by red Kentish peg tiles.

45. During the Crusades in the Holy Land in 1241, Sir Richard de Grey of Ccdnor rescued some Carmelite hermits from the Mohammedan threat of destruction, and brought them home to England. It was here at Aylesford in 1242 that the Carmelites established the first foundation of their Order in England. They settled on the northern bank of the River Medway, at a smal1 distance westwards from the present village. During the progress of some three hundred years of continual building and renevation, the Friary became an established and thriving religious community. The original site of the founder's humbie structures became a great court yard on the west.

46. Late in the 15th century an outer gatehouse was erected to the north of the priory church. On the north side was a bridge crossing the moat which formerly surrounded the Friary. The gatehouse provided accommodation for the porter in the form of a ground-floor apartment and a first storey room above. A good fireplace of contemporary date is on the north side of this room.

47. The priory ehureh at the Friary was dedieated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary by Riehard Young, Bishop of Roehester on 4 May 1417. The prolonged time interval required for this building may have been as a result of the involvement of the Carmelites in building Aylesford's bridge. The building of this bridge eonsolidated the strategie importance of Aylesford as a crossing over the River Medway. This bridge is probably one of the most well-known in Kent. lt is three hundred feet long and built in Kentish ragstone,

48. East of Aylesford, nestling on a bend of the River Medway above Allington loek, is the castle of Allington. During Saxon times, this was a palisaded stronghold on a moated mound. Here, the Normans built a manor house, which was fortified into a castle during the 13th century. In 1492 Sir Henry Wyatt, supporter of Henry VII, became the owner of Allington castle. His son Sir Thomas Wyatt enjoyed royal favour, but is best remembered as being the first modern English poet, who introduced the sonnet form into English verse.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek