Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1

Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank Shaw
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Leicestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4540-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Malt Mil! Bank about 1928. The shop on the corner is now the National Westminster Bank but in former times it was a shoe shop, first owned by Bill Harvey and later William Freer. Freer was known as a rugged character who had come from Hinckley to settle in Barwell. He was anti-religieus and one day set out to upset a meeting of Methodists in Stapleton . However, something happened at the meeting and he became a changed man. He went on to be a Methodist lay preacher. The site at Malt Mil! Bank is deserted in this picture but has become the centre of what is now a busy crossroads and bus stop. Eventually, due to the volume of traffic, the memorial had to be removed to its present position by the Parish Church.

HIGH STREET. BARWELL

k

10. High Street, seen from Top Town, at the turn ofthe century. In the extreme left ofthe photograph is part ofthe Blacksmith's Arms, outside ofwhich was to be found the village pump. The Post Office pillar box wouldn't survive five minutes of today's traffic! However, the High Street was just as narrow then as it is now.

11. The Common, down from Dawson's Lane in 1905. This photographcaptures the rural atmosphere of the lane. The thatched cottage on the right, with its ivy clad walls, has long since gone. The houses on the right are still standing but are derelict. I love the pram on the left!

12. A team of young cricketers, February 1906. Of course, Barwell's greatest cricketing progeny was George Geary of Leicestershire and England and no doubt many youngsters of the village hoped to emulate Geary's talents and farne. He was a medium pace bowler and is celebrated for taking ten wickets in an innings against Glamorgan in 1929. The village has strong sporting traditions with many teams, usually centered on the churches and public houses.

13. Barwell Council School. One ofthe earliest classes at the School, about 1911. It is believed that the man in the centre is Mr. W. W. Hili, the headmaster. He came from London with a science degree and was well-respected by the pupils in his charge.

14. Football stars of the future? A very early photograph dated 1890 - one wonders whether the boys would have wam their caps when playing. The photograph is entitled: 'Winners of SMDS Football Championship 1890.'

15. The Titley family, on the doorsteps of the reetory . The Reverend Richard and Mrs. Ellen Titley, seated, surrounded by their family. The rector and his wife were generous benefaetors to Barwell. They were so concerned about the deprivation in the village that they began a soup kitchen. There was a great deal of respect in the village for the couple. When Reverend Titley entered the school rooms, the ehildren would rise and salute him with a very eourteous 'Sir'. It was not uncommon for the Titleys to be shown all the deferenee paid to royalty - women of the parish would curtsey when they met them. The Titleys were rectors of Barwell for over 75 years and the family grave ean be seen in St. Mary's Churehyard, Barwell, immediately to the rear of the ehureh.

16. Barwell Male Voice Choir seen photographed here at Matlock in August of 1921. Singing was as popular as football and cricket and many combined both as hobbies. The company of one's peers and the prospect of some travel were strong incentives to join the choir, as weIl as developing singing abilities.

2'77-1~

TH~ COMKON. BARWELL

17. The Common, Barwell, about 1926. This photograph captures the uneven character of the development of this lane. Even today, there is little regularity in the way that old mixed with new. The drystone wall is unusual.

2TI-8

WAR M~MORIAL, BA.RWELL

18. The Barwell Memorial in 1926. The 'bus' is parked on the left and the 'dress shop' in Chapel Street looks prosperous.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek