Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1

Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank Shaw
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Leicestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4540-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The National School (Church of England) in High Street about 1906. There had been a National School in the village since 1872. The five bar gate is indicative of the fact that there were once several farmyards on High Street. One wonders at how many generations have passed through the portals of the N ationaJ School and have gone on to contribute to village life. The cart in this street is advertising 'Matchless Polish'.

40. Stapleton Lane. Known locally as 'Stebby Lane' the road was merely a country lane when this photograph was taken. Slowly, the land either side was built up with both factories and housing. Indeed, White and Brewards factory is on the left and on the right is Geary's factory. It was a familiar sight to see the workers leaving the factory still wearing their aprons, as this photograph indicates. The boot and shoe industry prospered particularly during the war years and there were numerous factories throughout the village.

41. Lower end of High Street about 1906. View looking towards where the present Red Lion pub stands. This photograph has been taken at the junetion with Chureh Lane. There were onee several farmyards on High Street and a eommon sight was to see the eows being herded to and from the fields. 'Jigger' Green had such a farmyard and drove his cattle to the 'eowrie', the fields where Jersey Way, Angus Road and Hereford Close, so appropriately named, stand today.

42. Shilton Road about 1905. Once known as Red Hall Lane and also 'Robbers Row' at one time. This scene reflects the more well-to-do character of the road, which is still to some extent retained. Contrast this with the previous photograph taken about the same time and less than half a mile away.

43. The old people's Treat, July 1907. It was common practice for the most elderly residents of the parish to be given a tea and presents of clay pipes, tobacco and snuff once a year by younger members of the parish community. Some of the faces in this photograph are full of character. No doubt some of the ladies are wearing 'widows-weeds' , a particular type of dress favoured bywidows. Some of the men are sporting sets of whiskers. The children on the extreme right look on somewhat bemused. John Needham (photograph 38) stands on the extreme right.

44. BarweIl Infants School. Group one at the infants school. The children look remarkably wellgroomed especially for the photograph. Notice the different collars, particularly the boy in glasses at the back with a fuIllace coIlar.

45. Entrance to Church Lane, Barwell. This area of the village is known as 'High Close'. The building behind the trees to the right is the Rectory, now St. Mary's Close. Today Church Lane is much widened and the war memorial stands where the graveyard begins in the middle distance of this photograph.

46. Father and son at the billiard table. Mr. H. Cooper Senior with his son H. Cooper Junior. Mr. Cooper opened the cinema in the village ealled the Eleetric Palace. The Coopers also had a cinema in Earl Shilton and Barwellians gladly made the trek over to wateh such screen idols as Al Jolson, Mary Piekford and Douglas Fairbanks.

EARL SHILTON

47. Opening of the Earl Shilton Water Scherne, 23rd November 1912, 18 days after BarwelI's scheme (photograph 8). It was a decided improvement in the town's facilities. Previously, the town had had to rely on springs, welIs and various pumps. Various dignitaries were present at the opening and the steam powered fire tender from Hinckley can be seen in the background. Note the raised driver's seat and horse whip- the machine was drawn by a set of horses. I wonder where the little girl at the window is now?

48. The Hollow in the 1920's. Earl Shilton is built on a long ridge and the Hollow is so ealled beeause it is a reeognisable dip in that ridge. The large area here provided a forum for travelling fairs, morris dancers, wakes and other eommunity gatherings. There was onee a giant mangle here, belonging to the Raven family whieh was used by the public to wring out their laundry. Today the Earl Shilton Building Society offices are prominent on the far side of the raad. It was founded in 1857 and first met in the Royal Oak publie house a little further along High Street.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek