Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1

Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank Shaw
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Leicestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4540-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Barwell and Earl Shilton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Wood Street. This is the junction of Wood Street and Station Road. OffWood Street there are various roads and alleys that follow the routes of ancient rights of way. It was once possible to go the whole length of Earl Shilton without using the main street simply by using these alleys and field pathways. These tracks were known locally as the 'Backs'. For instanee King's Walk, named after Lauger King, ran from Wood Street to the Brockey, the stretch ofland between Earl Shilton and Kirkby Mallory. Another such was known as 'Leycrofts' from Keats Lane to the Hollow.

50. High Street in the 1920's. This depiets the buildings th at replaeed the old thatehed cottages that onee stood on this side of the road. There are several yards and alleyways off this side of High Street and they ean still be traeed today.

51. The Parish Church of St. Simon andJude. Not a separate parish until the 19th century, the church is largely an example of a Victorian renovation of an earlier structure. The work was encouraged and completed under the incumbancy of Reverend Ferdinand Tower and in all cost ;(3,500. Beyond the church can still be traeed the Castle mound and this area is known as Hall or Castle Yard. To the north of Church Lane is the area known as Spring Gardens, which provided the water supply for the castle. In the vicinity of the church can be found several rather odd placenames, such as Nock Verges. Sometimes referred to as Nock Barges, it was the ancient archery ground of the village - the nocking of the bow is the term for loading the arrowand the rod or verge is the arrow itself.

52. Watery Gate about 1920. Considered to be on the edge ofthe village, this gateway to Earl Shilton is indeed watery. This is where Thurlaston Brook, a tributary of the River Soar, fords the Earl Shilton to Croft Road. Close by is the site of Normanton Hall and the vanished village of Normanton Turville. The ford is often impassable in winter but is a favourite destination ofyoung children in the summer. The children delight in fishing for 'tiddlers' or 'stickiebacks'!

432-4·

TOWER ROAO. EARL SHIL TON

53. The smart semi-detached housing of Tower Road in the 1920's. An ancient pathway known as the 'Backs' from Keats Lane to Wood Street crosses Tower Road.

432-6·

ALMEYS LANE. EARL SHIL TON

54. Almeys Lane. The first Council homes after the First World War were built in Almeys Lane. Orton's factory and the recreation ground were also here. Some residents will have heard of 'Candlestick Lane' near here, where a candlehouse once stood. Kester's Nook and Weavers Spring were also names of fields and tracks here before a formal name was given to the road.

LOWER HINCKlEY ROAD. EARL SHIL TON

55. Lower Hinckley Road in 1920. This area was once all allotments by the side ofthe road, all the way to Belle Vue Road. The smart semi-detached villas however eneroaebed onto the land. In the distance can he seen the junction of Heath Lane and Wood Street - known as Bank End. Heath Lane was once open land and was used for steeplechasing in the 17th century. A trackway known as Dark Lane connected Heath Lane to the Brockey.

56. Station Road in 1920. There was a time when there was little housing on Station Road, although there was a regular flow of traffic for Elmesthorpe Station which was Earl Shilton's railway link. Station Road was the site of the annual 'Wake' and strolling players often made their pitch on open land here.

432-1

THE SOCIAL INSTITUTE, STATION ROAD, EARL SHILTON

57. The Social Institute, Station Road. Tbis was opened in 1909. It was a base to encourage youngsters to get involved in sporting activities such as cricket, football, rifle-range, chess club, skittles and bilHards. It was also a concert venue. It still functions today as the Stute Community Centre, thanks to the efforts oflocal people to keep it open. To the left ofthis photograph older residents will remember a coffee shop, which provided somewhere for the young men to gossip and a place to meet, play cards and chat. Tbere were other such coffee shops elsewhere in the town.

58. The War Memorial. Wood Street. The stone cenotaph memorial is crowned by a figure of peace and the monument commands the open space of the street. Wood Street did indeed look pleasant with its trees. One of the trees had a plate to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII in 1902 and had a seat at its base for people to sit on.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek