Bembridge in old picture postcards

Bembridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Martin Woodward
Gemeente
:   Bembridge
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5147-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bembridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Bernbridge High Street. Looking north-east, this view is taken hom the present position of 'The Stores', and again the old cottage in the right foreground, which was present before the shop existed, is featured. Formerly Dame Attrill's School, the cottage eventually became derelict before being demolished in 1928. Further down on the right is 'Ye Olde Village Inn' , previously known as the 'Commercial Inn', established in 1787, which at the turn of the century was run by the Woodnutt family. The inn is still thriving today, virtually in the same farm. This pbotograpb, taken around the turn of tbe century, shows only too weil the tranquillity ofvillage life during th at period.

10. Riddicks Bakery , High Street. Originally run by Ashford MurseIl, this bakery was later acquired by J.C. Riddick & Son and continued to trade for many years under that name, unti! the 1940s. The shop was situated to the left of wh at used to be the school entrance, and adjacent to where Laceys, the remaval people, have had their office for many years. When Riddicks finally ceased trading, the premises were taken over by the Co-Op for many years, and then ultimately became an art shop.

11. The alms houses and Prestons' Shop, High Street. Situated where 'Church Row' exists today, these houses belonged to the church and were demolished by 1920. The shop was run by Mrs. Preston. one of the well-known Preston family of Bembridge, whose three sons ran a haulage business in the village which continued until the 1970s. The shop was in the same position as where W.W. Woodford's butcher's shop exists today. The chimneys in the right background belonged to Mr. Wreford Woodford's house, Swiss Cottage, which used to stand where the War Memorial is today, and a high brick wall surrounded the property adjacent to the bend into Church Road, as can be seen in the following view. Prestons shop eventually closed when the family took over the tenancy of Wallsend Farm.

12. The High Streel; trom Swiss Cottage Corner. This view, taken in the very early 1900s, shows the high wall around what was then Swiss Cottage, situated on the corner where the War Memorial now stands. Following the demolition of Swiss Cottage, the site was purehased and presented to the village by Sir John and Lady Thornyeroft, and the War Memorial was ereeted in 1920 to honour the 46 loeal men who gave theirlives in the First World War.

13. The High Streel, looking south-west, This interesting photograph was taken around 1890, befare Dennett Road was cut through. The first house in the lef! foreground is Waterloo Cottage, which still exists today, but the rest of the properties pictured here, between that and the Old Village Inn, were demolished and replaced with more modern buildings. ft is interesting to note that at the time of this photograph, the inn was known as 'The Old Village Inn' rather than 'Ye Olde Village Inne', which was adopted later. Later, on the corner of the newly built Dennett Road, nearest to Foreland Raad, was a greengrocer and sweet shop owned by Mr. Edward ('Nobby') Winter, and next to that was 'Alten House', a private school. Between there and Foreland Road was a sweetshop owned by Ashford MurseIl. When the two derelict cottages next to "The OId Village Inn' were demolished, two new shops were built, one being the wellknown Smiths the Chemists, which existed until the 1970s.

14. Holy Trinity Church and the Lych Gate. Virtually unchanged today, the church was originally built by 1827, and consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester on 16th August 1827. However, by 1844 there we re serious structural problems and the church was pulled down and rebuilt by 1846. Before the church was built, villagers had to travel to Brading for weddings, burials and christenings, but there was a tra velling priest who visited Bembridge on a regular basis, one being the Reverend Leigh, who wrote 'The Dairyman's Daughter'. The Lych Gate was added in 1897 as a memorial to Mrs. Anne Brenden. Church Road was formerly the main road into the village from the harbour, and part of Kings Road. During the early 1970s it became the one-way system that it is today, consequently making Sherbourne Street much busier.

15. The High Street, looking north-east. This charming view, dated around the turn of the century, shows Osborne-Provision Merchants on the corner of High Street and Foreland Road, which was a Post Office and provisionJbread shop, with 'Woodbine Cottage' visible behind that. It would appear that some event was taking place on the day the photograph was taken, as everyone was dressed in their 'Sunday Best', and one of the men on the left is holding what looks like a wreath. The very large tree in the centre background adjacent to 'Couldrey's Emporium' survived, although 'topped', until the 1970s, when the stump was eventually removed.

16. Lower High Street, looking north-east. A more recent view, dated around the 1920s, which shows the village in a more recognisable farm when compared with today. On the front left are the Church Rooms, followed by F.R. Bartlett the fishmonger, and then C. Love & Sans. The next shop, befare Lloyds Bank on the corner, was Potts barber shop. On the opposite corner of Sherbourne Street and Love Lane, was the well-known 'Couldreys Emporium', owned and run by the Couldrey family, who were also closely associated with the lifeboat. The station carrier, MT. F. Jones, can be seen rounding the corner on his cart, ably pulled by his horse Polly.

17. Lower High Street, looking south-west. Taken from the corner of Love Lane, at 'Couldreys Emporium', this photograph is dated around 1930. Pavements were starting to appear, and the local bus can be seen in the centre background at the corner of Church Road. Jordans the butchers can be seen behind the handcart in the left centre of the view.

18. Lower High Street, Viewed from 'Couldreys Emporium', Tom Jordan's cows amble unhurriedly through the High Street, with Jordan's butcher's shop pictured in the background. In the left foreground, at the turn of the century, was a bootmaker's shop, run by Frederick 'Freddy' Searle, and then a greengrocers and sweet shop run by Mrs. Warne, who produced the first home made ice-cream to be sold in the village. Today these shops are Fox's restaurant, an estate agents, and, still, a butcher's shop respectively.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek