Bembridge in old picture postcards

Bembridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Martin Woodward
Gemeente
:   Bembridge
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5147-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bembridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. A memorable event in Bembridge Village. The visit of Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey Baring, pictured here in January 1906, certainly caused a stir locally, and as motor cars were still very much a rarity, people can be seen crowding around the vehicle outside 'Couldreys Emporium' to view this interesting machine. The localpoliceman, P.C. Toomber, looks on.

20. Sherbourne Street, looking nor th-west. In this photograph, the local fire brigade rush to an incident in Bembridge ViJlage on their traditional-looking fire engine. The car on the right is an Austin Seven of the late twenties or early thirties, the equivalent at the time of our present-day Mini or Metro. Behind the Austin on the right of the picture can be seen Sothcotts Stores, which moved from Station Raad at "The Point' to trade in the village from the 1920s until 1987. Next to that in the background was Chicks bakery, which traded unti11973, befare becoming in 1977 the Maritime Museum that it is today.

21. Love Lane, looking north-east. Illustrating the peace and tranquillity of vilJage life in Bembridge during this period, th is photograph shows Love Lane around 1900, befere man}' of the houses were built on the right hand si de of the lane. Itis thought locally that the name "Love Lane' originated from the fact th at the Love family lived in the farm at Northwells in the early 1800s. Mr. Love apparently fathered 21 children!

22. The corner of High Street and Sherbourne Street, looking north. This view shows the ivy-covered cottage on the left which later became Lloyds Bank in the 1920s, but was formerly an antiques shop and part of 'Couldreys Ernporiurn'. Apparently it was visited every summer by Queen Mary. Interestingly, Lloyds Bank was previously to the rear of 'Couldreys Emporium', where Jeromes solicitors are situated today, and the word 'Bank' can just be seen under the tree in the photograph. 'Couldreys Emporium' was renowned for selling virtually everything and anything, and consequently was a very popular store. It was founded in the 1880s by Alfred Humphrey Couldrey when he purchased Grove House, which was then part of Tuffley's Stores, as can be seen in a following photograph. The Emporium was then taken over in 1897 by his younger brother, William Couldrey, who was also Honorary Secretary of the lifeboat from 1899 to 1942, and alocal estate agent.

23. The village bus, 1905. This photograph ean be aecurately dated due to th is partienlar bus service, operated by the Ryde based IW Express Motor Syndicate, only lasting six months. Probably the first bus in regular use in the village, this fine machine, registration number DL 80, is pietured outside 'Couldreys Emporium'. The sight of a motor car or bus during this period obviously created considerable interest amongst the villagers, as motor vehicles we re still very much a rarity in those days. The gentleman on the right ofthe photograph, sporting the large moustache , was the well-known Mr. Williarn Couldrey.

24. Tuffley and Son, provision stores and drapers. A very early photograph, taken around 1880, wh en Tuffley & Son ran their thriving business in the two premises that later became Sothcotts Stores and 'Couldreys Emporium'. Thomas Tuffley was a groeer in Sherbourne Street as far back as 1851, and the business eventually passed on to his son, Robert Tuffley, who se daughter Elizabeth married Alfred Couldrey, he nee forming the Tuffley/Couldrey eonneetion and the Emporium. Above Tuffleys shop at that time was Charles Love's carpentry shop. Note the 'Penny Farthing' bicycle in the foreground of the photograph and also the outfits of the people pictured, which were very typical of the period. The area to the light was at th at time fields and trees, but today is the Meadow Drive Estate.

25. Bembridge Supply Stores and Couldreys Emporium. An interesting view of the two busy stores, and a very early delivery truck. This photograph was taken around the 1920s, before the Bembridge Supply Stores became Sothcotts Stores, when they eventually moved their pre mises up from Thc Point. The multitude of items for sale at 'Couldreys Emporium' can be seen by the amount of goods displayed outside the shop.

26. H.J. Chick, bakers and con.fectioners. These premises were originally run by Thomas E. Osborn, baker and grocer, listed in Sherbourne Street as far back as 1871, and still there at the turn of the century. This Osborn was na relation to the Osbornes that ran the Post Office and bakery on the corner of Foreland Raad. H.J. Chick and family taak over the business in 1911, after a short period under the ownership of the Jacobs family, and following Mr. H.l. Chick's death in 1944, his son Alf and his wife continued running the premises until the bakery ceased to trade in 1973. The building was then ernpty until1977 when it was converted into the present Bembridge Maritime Museum, which opened in 1978. The museum now houses not only maritime artefacts, but also local history and lifeboat displays of interest to all. The windows shown blanked off in the photograph are now completely built in, and the old shop canopy was removed in 1977.

27. Sherbourne Street, looking south-east. Another view, dated around 1910, which shows a different anĀ· gle of 'Providence House', behind which Chicks' bakery was houscd, on the corner of Sherbourne Street and Ducie Avenue. Initially, H.J. Chick's business did not include 'Providence House', but consisted of the shop, bakery, and the cottage 'Avon House' next door. Eventual!y, howcver, in 1931, the Chicks moved into the main house, and the whole corner became part of the business. Interestingly, a large rock in the front corner of the garden adjacent to the wal! is still there today, and remembered by many of the elder residents from their childhood, when they apparently used to stand on it. No-one , however , seems to know the origin of the rock, as it is not considered to be local stone. The smal! outside wall with pil!ars lasred for around 140 years befare being rebuilt in the same farm in 1990.

28. Sherbourne Street, looking west. This early view was taken before "The White House' was built on the corner of Church Road, to the right of the photograph. On the site at th is time were two wooden bungalows, one occupied by a Mrs. Jones and her two sons, and the other by a Mr. Broomfield, the local carrier. The rest of the buildings shown here still cxist, and the white building to the left, then a private house, has since been changed in appearance, becoming an antiques shop and, in more recent years, a restaurant. At the turn of the century there was a mangle house run by a Polly Attrill between wh at is now Lloyds Bank and the restaurant.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek