Bembridge in old picture postcards

Bembridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Martin Woodward
Gemeente
:   Bembridge
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5147-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bembridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Sherbourne Street, looking south-east. Another view looking towards 'Couldreys Emporium'. but showing the newly built 'White House' in the right foreground. The houses on the right of the picture, between th is and the High Street, exist in the same form today.

30. Ducie Avenue, from Sherbourne Streel. A picturesque tree-lined lane leading to Ducie Beach, Ducie Avenue remained unspoilt for decades, until in the 1970s, building commenced on bath sides of the road. The road was originally known as 'Ducie Walk', and one of the oldest dwellings was 'Cara Cottage', which is still there today, followed by prominent structures such as 'Hillgrove " 'Northwells', 'Balure' , and 'The Cottage', the farmer home of Captain Ernest Du Boulay, and later enlarged to becorne Greylands School. Nowadays, however, several modern houses line the avenue, and many of the trees have disappeared, rather changing the previous character. Apparently, the name Ducie Avenue was adopted when the original trees were planted by the Earl of Ducie , who bought Hili Grove Estare for his son, the Hon. Augustus Moreton. Every year at the time of the annual Harbour Regatta, the trees in the Avenue we re decorated with Chinese lanterns and fairy lights, giving a beautiful effect, and attracting many spectators.

.?.

2ßl8. 11 E B =.AC

B EM B R J DG E, -,-,I.,--,W,~. __ ~

31. Ducie Beach, looking west. This view iJIustrates the popularity of the beaches and bathing in the early 1900s. Beach huts and bathing tents abound, but are virtuaHy non-existent today. In the background was 'The Garland Club', which at that time was a favourite haunt for the members of Bembridge Sailing Club and their friends. 'The GarJand Club' was originally founded in 1894 by Colonel Moreton as a ladies bathing club, as the be ach was suitably safe, and ideal for such activities.

32. Ducie Beach, looking east. The main feature in this photograph is the 'Garland Club', which, as mentioned in the previous view, was a popular spot for bathing and social events. The Club was to be used for troop billets in the war, but suffered a direct hit by a land mine during an air raid, leaving virtually nothing standing but the gas stove. Fortunately, it was empty at the time, as the troops arrived on the following day. Further along the beach, bathing machines and tents can be seen, which wouJd suggest this particular photograph was taken around the turn of the century. This be ach is also known locally as 'Under Tyne', and the steamers used to land passengers here by rowing boat when the tide was too Jow to get into Bernbridge Harbour. The landing place is still called 'Colonel's Hard', after Colonel Moreton, who originally built it.

33. The old watch tower, The Point. An early photograph ofthe old wooden wateh tower, also known loealIy as 'The üld Lookout' , whieh today is still situated at 'Silver Beach' adjacent to where the Royal Spithead Hotel used to be. In bygone days, a cannon was reputed to have sta ad close to the watch tower, and with the ever-constant fear of the arrival of press gangs from the ships anchored in the roads, it was a loeal custom for anyone seeing them approaching, to run down and fire the cannon as a warning. Needless to say, this praetice was frowned upon by the eoastguard, as it sent every able-bodied man into hiding until such time it was eonsidered safe to re-emerge.

34. The Old Bembridge Hotel, The Point. A later view of the hotel, taken around 1925, when it was still a popular and convenient pi ace to stay, due to its close proximity to the harbour and railway station. At one time run by a Mrs. Ronald Mackenzie, the hotel also ca te red for golfers using the popular Royal Isle of Wight Golf Club's nine hole course, across the harbour at St. Helen's. During the First World War the Royal Flying Corps Officers from the seaplane base at The Point stayed at 'The Old Bembridge Hotel', whilst the men stayed at the 'Royal Spithead' .

35. The Old Bembridge Hotel and Pilot Baat Inn, The Point. Dated around 1900, this photograph shows the Bembridge Hotel in its heyday, enjoying the obvious benefits of its position at The Point. The 'second Pilot Boat Inn is shown in the farm in whieh it remained until it was re built to resembie a ship in 1935. The original Pilot Boat Inn was in Pump Lane and shows on early Ordnanee Surveys. Between the Bembridge Hotel and The Pilot Boat Inn on th is photograph, ean be seen Weavers, carpenter & undertaker , (who are still trading in Bembridge today), John Jordan's coatyard. and Sothcotts livery stables. On the opposite si de of the raad were Watsons plumbers shop and 'The Prince of Wales' public house.

Bembridge, Isle of Wight.

36. Station Road, The Point, looking south. An interesting postcard showing The Point in busier times around the turn of the century, The Pilot Boat Inn, being opposite the station, was popular with the engine drivers and firemen, and it was eustomary for the railway station master to ring a bell five minutes before the train was due to leave. Sotheotts Stores were still trading in their Station Road premises, whieh can be seen in the eentre ofthe picture, with a delivery cart outside.

37. Sothcotts Stores, Station Road, The Point. Sothcotts Stores was a household name for decades in Bernbridge, established as far back as 1813, and this photograph, dated around 1900, shows the original location of the shop between the Pilot Boat Inn and the Marine Hotel. In later years, the business moved to Sherbourne Street, whilst also still keeping the shop at The Point unti! around 1940, which was run by Jack Sothcott. The Sherbourne Street shop was managed by Percy, Charlie and Bert Sothcott, where it continued to thrive unti! the mid-1980s, when it ceased to trade under the name 'Sothcotts', and was taken over by a larger concern. It was always considered a traditional 'family store' and used extensive!y by Bembridge residents over the years.

38. The Marine Hotel, Station Road, The Point. Situated directly opposite the railway station, this popular hotel and public house was originally called 'The Row Barge Inn', and has in recent years reverted back to that name. Many years ago, the village slaughterhouse used to stand next door, later becoming Hapgoods shop, a tailors, which is now a dental surgery still bearing the name 'Hapgood House'. The name 'Row Barge Inn' was aptly derived from the fact that the crews of the row barges used to tie up at the quay wall opposite, and whilst waiting for the carcasses from the slaughterhousc, used to take refreshment at the inn. There was always constant de mand for provisions when the fleet was anchored in St. Helen's Roads, which must have considerably boosted local trade.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek