Bembridge in old picture postcards

Bembridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Martin Woodward
Gemeente
:   Bembridge
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5147-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bembridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The Point, an aerial photograph. A rare photograph showing the seaplane base and hangar, also the launehing slipway into the inside of the harbour. Taken during the First World War, th is view also pictures the old harbour wall, the steamer pier, the Royal Spithead Hotel, and the railway station opposite. Few photographs exist of the seaplane base due to the restricted use of cameras during the years of wartime.

40. The seaplane base at The Point. This unusual photograph shows the crumpled remains of a seaplane th at came to grief on the sands between St. Helen's Fort and the Spithead Hotel. The seaplane hangars can be seen clearly in the background and there are still residents in the village that can reeall dances being held in the hangars during the First World War. The flat concrete bases are still visible at The Point, but the main hangar was dismantled after the end of the Great War, and moved to Shanklin Esplanade, where it remains to this day as an amusement arcade.

41. Bernbridge Railway Station. An early photograph, taken around the turn of the century, showing Bembridge Station, with the Ryde 2-4-0-engine ready to leave for St. Helen's and Brading. The carriages shown here were previously in use on the old Ryde Pier tramway. The Bembridge Branch Line opened on 27th May 1882 and finally closed on 21st September 1953, a closure that is still regretted by many. It is interesting for the younger reader to note that both the station building and the Royal Spithead Hotel, pictured in the background, no langer exist. The 'Harbour Strand' housing development now stands on the site ofthe old railway station.

42. 'Going fishing' from Bembridge Harbour, circa 1884. This view of the shore at The Point was taken prior to the building of Bembridge Sailing Club in 1886, and illustrates the busy inshore fishing fraternity going about their work, watched by interested bystanders. In th is particular case, nets are being put out, but the main fishery in the Bembridge area was for shellfish, which were caught in pots. Amongst the trees in the centre background of the photograph, 'Shorelands' is plainly visible, which despite falling into disrepair during recent years, has now been restored to its former glory.

43. The Royal Spithead Hotel and The Point. A panoramic view of The Point area taken in about 1904, during one of the busiest periods of its history. With the regular paddle steamers 'Bernbridge' and 'Island Oueen' operating, there was always a bustIe of activity, as the adjacent Bembridge Sailing Club, Royal Spithead Hotel and the Railway Station attracted many people to that end of the harbour. Many a grand function was held at the sailing club, as can be seen by the people in the foreground of this view, all dressed in outfits befitting the occasion.

44. The Harbour, viewed from the toll gate towards St. Helen's OId Church. Another fine postcard of the old harbour wal!, and the number of dinghies pul!ed up on the beach iIIustrates the popularity of rowing boats in those days, a pastime which has sadly diminished in recent years. To take a leisurely row around the beaches or harbours was a simple activity enjoyed by many, and the dinghies were easily hired from the longshoremen, but sadly, for some reason, there are few places today that carry on this tradition.

45. The Point. A rather aristocratie looking gentleman poses with his superb motor car at the toll gate, with the Royal Spithead Hotel in the background. No doubt he would have been the subject of many an envious gaze, as cars of th is quality were not a common sigh t in those days.

46. The toll gate, 1950. A fine view ofthe local bus, apparently a Milnes-Daimler, trundling through the toll gate at The Point, with the tollkeeper visible in the background. As mentioned in a previous view, this particular bus service only lasted for six months, due mainly to the bad condition of the island roads, which caused considerable damage to the buses. The harbour was owned by the railway company up until the 1960s, and consequently a toll was payable by vehicles and pedestrians using Embankment Raad. Around the turn of the century, this toll was apparently one penny, a fee that gradually increased to sixpence in the 1960s. On the right of the photograph, the Bembridge Sailing Club is visible, still existing in the same form today. The building on the left is part of the railway station, which was demolished some years ago to make way for the Harbour Strand development.

47. Embankment Raad, looking north-east, A superb early view of the new Royal Spithead HoteJ and the toll gate, th is photograph clearly illustrates some of the interesting features that no Jonger exist today. The most obvious of these is, of course, the Royal Spithead Hotel, which was demolished in 1989 following an interesting 104 years of history. The railway station, which is visible to the right of the hotel in the photograph, also no longer exists, and is now the site of the present Harbour Strand housing. In the centre of the picture, where the huts can be seen, the Bembridge Sailing Club was built shortly after this view was taken, and still stands today. A large steamer can be seen tied up at the pier, and this particular vessel was owned by Admiral de Roebeck. Although the younger residents of today will probably find it difficult to imagine, ships of this size were a regular occurrence in the harbour during those days. The Harbour Wall is also visible in the Jeft background ofthe picture, but nowadays is totally buried under the sand-dunes.

48. Bembridge Sailing Club, circa 1906. A charming postcard illustrating one of the many social events held at the clubhouse in the Victorian and Edwardian era. The Club was started by Captain E. Du Boulay and Colonel Moreton, after Du Boulay designed and built the first 'Bembridge Club Boat' in his shed at 'The Cottage', naming it 'Jubilee'. Colonel Moreton then had auother built, calling it 'Jubilum', and hence the racing began. The Sailing Club celebrated its centenary in 1986 and still remains virtually in the same farm as it did when the new clubhouse was built in 1887.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek