Bembridge in old picture postcards

Bembridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Martin Woodward
Gemeente
:   Bembridge
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5147-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bembridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Bembridge Sailing Club. An early view, showing the Sailing Club, with the steamer pier in the foreground. When viewing the same area today, it seems unbelievable that steamers the size of the 'Bernbridge' and 'Island Queen' regularly plied in and out of the harbour to tie up alongside this pier. Also surprising is that the Bembridge Sailing Club, being built of wood in 1887, still survives in the same form today, still retaining its traditionally classic appearance.

50. The 'Bembridge' paddle steamer. A fine photograph of the 'Bernbridgc' entering the harbour arourrd the turn of the century, from where she and the 'Is land Queen' provided the ferry service for many years. In 1853, the steamer 'Dart' made two return trips a day between Portsmouth and Bembridge, one being direct, and the other being via Ryde and Seaview piers. Another steamer, the 'Tynernouth', shown in a following view, was in service for a short time between 1879 and 1881, and then the 'Island Queen' taak over the service, to be joined later by the 'Bernbridgc' in 1886. The frequency of trips then increased to five return trips daily, with the exception of Sundays. When the tide was too low for the harbour, passengers were landed at Under Tyne, and taken ashore by rowing baat. Other steamers on the Bembridge route over the years were: 'Alleyn', 'Lord Kitchenor', 'Sandringharn', 'Prince ', 'Duke of York', 'Alexander' and 'Heather Bell'.

51. Bembridge harbour wall and the club boats. Difficult to imagine for today's resident of Bembridge, the harbour wall has for many years been completely buried by the sand dunes, probably as a result of increased silting of the harbour due to the reclamation. The wall was a prominent feature of the harbour around the turn of the century, and many of the ol der residents remember it well. The 'club boats' pictured have for decades been a regular sight in this corner of the harbour.

52. The harbour, looking south-west. Again the 'club boats' feature in this view, apparently preparing for a day's racing, a familiar sight for generations. Note the apparent emptiness of the embankment in the background, and how quiet the harbour appears when compared with the same view today.

53. The harbour entrance, looking north-west. Two sailing vessels slide gracefully into the harbour in this view dated around 1900. The Redwing sheds are visible in the centre left of the photograph, as also is the steam train, on its way to Brading. St. Helen's 'Old Church' can be clearly seen in the background, and has been a famous seamark since ceasing to be a church in early days. It is reputed that the term 'Holystones', describing the slabs used for scrubbing wooden decks, originated when the stones of the derelict church were taken out for use aboard the ships anchored in St. Helen's Roads, as they were ideal for keeping the decks clean. Trinity House still maintain the 'Old Church' seamark, by regularly whitewashing the seaward facing wall.

54. The harbour entrance . CiearIy showing part of the oid harbour wall on the right of the photograph, this view again ilIustrates the much Iarger vessels that were using the harbour on a regular basis in those days. Again, St. Helen's 'Old Church' can beseen in the background.

55. The harbour and The Point. This photograph can be accurately dated at 1881, as the Royal Spithead was still under construction, and the attic windows had not yet been added. A crane is still apparent in front of the hotel, and Bembridge Sailing Club had not yet been built, making the appearance of the foreshore and surrounding area considerably different when compared with today. On the right can be seen the original coastguard cottages, and the steamer pictured was the 'Tynemouth', owned by Frederick Seymour of Bembridge between 1879 and 1884, after which she was sold to Welsh owners.

56. The harbour, looking west. Another early view with many interesting cornparisons to be made with the same area today. Probably taken towards the end of the 1800s, this photograph shows the railway line and maintenance shed, and early stages of the marsh pond with what appear to be drainage ditches in the foreground. This pond was apparently caused by the serious breach in the embankment, at the Bembridge end, when the reclamation was nearing completion. St. Helen's Mill can be seen in the background, and the appearance of boatbuilding sheds in the ccntre, with their own pier, iIlustrates the growth of the industry within the new harbour. The old teading lights are visible in the right centre of the photograph.

57. The harbour. Looking east across the section of "The Embankment' befare 'Dustbin Corner', the local name for the bend in Embankment Raad, this view shows the area that is now occupied by the majority of the harbour houseboats. The old 'Ieading lights', which guided vessels through the harbour channeJ during the hours of darkness, can be seen top Ieft of the photograph, with'Kings Oak' visible between them in the background. The 'leading lights' used to house a red and a green oillamp on each Jattice frame, and were the responsibility of the tollkeeper .

58. Brading Haven, before the reclamation works. A very early photograph, circa 1870s, looking towards Bembridge from Brading Down. The huge volume of water that travelled in and out of the haven on every tide iIlustrates what an enormous task and achievement the reclamation works proved to beo What was termed 'the second reclarnation' (the first attempt during King James' reign being a failure}, commenced in 1878 when Jabez Balfour instigated the works. The project certainly encountered problems, partienlarIy during the critical period when the sea was finally shut out in I8S0, but was ultimately a success.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek