Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

:   John F. Anderson
:   Renfrewshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-4951-8
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

49. Formakin House from the south-west. One of the main reasons for its building was to house the eolleetion of old Chinese porcelains, English silver plate, Oriental rugs and English furniture whieh had been aequired by Mr. Holms. The rooms had to be designed in order to display these treasures at their best. Thus one room on the first floor known as the Rug Room was specially built to aecommodate a seventeenth century Persian earpet. Similarly, the Great Hall was made 20 feet high so that its walls eould display the series of Freneh fifteenth century tapes tri es known as 'The Conquest of India'- In all of the prineipal rooms the position of doors, windows and fireplaecs were designed with reference to the plaeing of the important pieees of furniture in Mr. Holms' eollection. In October 1938 an auction sale was held at Formakin when Mr. Holms' vast eolleetion of treasures was sold. It is estimated th at 10,000 people viewed the colleetion on the three viewing days prior to the sale. The sale whieh lasted forfour days raised!20,OOO.

50. Meal Mill, Formakin. In 1908 Mr. lohn A. Holms restored this old meal mil! to working order and local farmers were then able to use it for grinding their oats. On 18th March 1908 Mr. Holms held a mock pastoral ball to celebrate the re-opening of the mill. On that occasion he was dressed as a miller while his guests were attired as shepherds and dairymaids. The seventeenth century miller's house can be discerned on the higher ground behind the mill, but the crow-stepped gables had not been added when this photograph was taken. The Dargavel Burn is visible in the foreground. At present the mill is in a poor condition. but there are plans by the Formakin Trust to re store it to working order.

51. Gatehead House. This is the house on the Formakin Estate in which Mr. Holms resided. It is now in a ruinous condition. Mr. Holms moved to this house in the early years of this century as a temporary measure when Formakin House was being built, but in fact he resided at Gatehead until his death. Mr. Holms' expertise in art was recognised by his appointment as one of the members of the Fine Arts Committee for the Empire Exhibition which was held in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow in 1938. He was also a former president of the Provand's Lordship Club in Glasgow. As a stockbroker he was highly respected in Glasgow business circles and when he died on 24th May 1938, aged 72 years, he was one of the oldest members of the Glasgow Stock Exchange. An obituary in the 'Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette' described John Augustus Holms in the following terms: 'A gentleman of dynamic personality, Mr. Holms completely immersed himself in any movement into which he entered and brought to his hobbies the same zest as in business.'

52. Hardgate Toll. This cottage used to be located at Hardgate Toll which was at the junction of Millhill Raad and Barochan Raad, a short distance from the entrance to Formakin House. In Scotland between 1750 and 1844 tolls were paid by those using the roads. During that period there would have been a toll-keeper residing at the cottage. Also, the men of each parish had to work on the roads for a certain number of days each year. The Lang family were farmer tenants of the cottage. The family were taxi owners who operated under the name of R. and W. Lang in Crossgates (now Newton Raad). At one time they operated horse-drawn wagonettes and pony traps from Bishopton Station to Erskine Golf Course. The Langs also sold newspapers from premises near the Bishopton Hotel. The next occupants of the cottage were the Forbes family, who later moved to 9 Porton Place, Bishopton. From 1921 to 1935 the tenants of the cottage were the Muir family. In this picture Mrs. Margaret Muir is standing outside the cottage with her daughter, Mary.

53. Erskine Ferry. The ferry is seen here on the south bank of the River Clyde in about 1900. In the background are the Ferry Inn and the ferrymaster's lodge. The ferry crossing was located about 300 yards to the west of Erskine Bridge. This location was a ford for a considerable period of time in past centuries. Prior to 1832, the crossing 10 the north bank of the river was made in a flat-bottomed boat which was propelled by poles. From 1832 to 1860 a hand-operated chain ferry was in use. Erskine Ferry was originally owned by the 12th Lord Blantyre, but it was taken over by the Clyde Trustees in 1904. In the year ending 30th June 1912, the total number of passengers who crossed on the ferry was 103,000 with the vehicles amounting to 32,000. On the occasion of a Paisley holiday in March 1912,75 motor cars, 251 cycles and 2,073 foot passengers crossed on the ferry. In the year ending 30th June 1913 the number ofpassengers using the ferry had increased to 108,000 and the vehicles to 33,000.

54. Erskine Ferry. The crew of the ferry are seen here on the south bank of the Clyde in the 1920s. The Kilpatriek Hills can be seen in the background. During 1856-57 Thomas Wingate built the first steam ferry for use at this crossing. This was the 'Urania' which continued in service until the early 1900s. Charles, 12th Lord Blantyre, took a great interest in its construction. and laid down specific proposals regarding the materials and dimensions of the vessel. In February 1903, it was reported in the 'Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette' that Mr. James DonaIdson, consuIting engineer, Glasgow, had placed an order with Messrs. John Reid and Co., Ltd., shipbuilders, Whiteinch, for a new ferry steamer which was to be in service on the river crossing between Erskine and Old Kilpatrick. On 16th July, 1936, the third Erskine ferry was launched from the yard of Messrs. Fleming and Ferguson. It continued in service until1971 when the era ofthe ferries came to an end with the opening ofthe Erskine Bridge.

55. Wester Rossland House. The original owners ofthe Wester Rossland Estate were the Rodger family, who obtained a charter to the property of Wester Rossland or Fergushill's Rossland in 1599. About 1740, the estate lands were increased by the purchase of Hay HilI, Long Meadows and Gladstone, which formerly belonged to the Brisbanes of Bishopton. In the 1840s Mr. Matthew Rodger of Wester Rossland erected a tiIe works on the lands of Gledestane. The clay on this land was of excellent quality for the manufacture of tiles and bricks. In 1875 the 150 acre estate ofWester Rossland was sold to a builder from Glasgow for ;(22,000. In June 1914 a report in the 'Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette' stated that Messrs. Henry WiIson, contractors, were engaged in preparing Wester Rossland House for its new owner, Mr. Hannay, who was a cotton broker. Later, the premises were used as a social club for the workers from the Royal Ordnance Factory and also by Bishopton vilIagers for dances. Wester Rossland House was demolished in 1980 on the orders ofthe Ministry of Defence.

56. Old Bishopton House. This house was originally built for the Brisbane family in the 17th century. The lands of Bishopton were held by the Brisbanes from the 14th until the 17th century when they moved to Kelsoland in North Ayrshire, which they renamed Brisbane House. Old Bishopton House and estate then came into the possession of the Walkinshaw family. The property was later owned by the Dunlops, the Sernpills, and the Maxwells of Pollok before coming into the possession of the 12th Lord Blantyre in 1844. Old Bishopton House with its 180 acre estate was offered for sale by auction in September 1912, and purchased by Mr. Peter McBride of Port Glasgow. In 1914 he sold the house to Mr. Alexander Reid of Paisley, who carried out a considerable programme of demolition and rebuilding. The architect was Mr. J. Craig Barr of Paisley and the clerk of works was Mr. Rose. In 1948 the house became a convent and in the late 1960s a chapel and other buildings were added. It is now known as the Convent of the Good Shepherd.

57. Bargarran Farm. Bargarran had a particular association with Christian Shaw, daughter of John Shaw, the Laird of Bargarran. She was allegedly bewitched in 1696. As a result of this, there was a trial in Paisley in 1697 when three men and four wamen were found guilty of the crime of witchcraft. One of the convicted men committed suicide in Renfrew Prison on 21st May 1697. The other two men and four wamen we re hanged at the Gallow Green in Paisley on 10th June 1697. However, the case of Christian Shaw should not be seen as an isolated incident. Between 1590 and 1706 there were more than 1,000 people executed for witchcraft in Scotland. The lands of Bargarran Farm extended to almost 191 acres and were offered for sale by auction in 1912. All ofthe buildings shown here have been dernolished. The lands of Bargarran have been used for housing development in Erskine. However, the name of Bargarran survives as one of the cornrnunities of Erskine.


58. The Bungalows, Georgetown. Senior staff who were employed at the Georgetown Filling Factory resided in these bungalows. This ammunition factory was in operation from January 1916 until November 1918. It was situated within the parishes of Erskine and Houston. The area of land used for building the factory in the parish of Erskine, consisted of 250 acres at Fulwood. On 24th December 1915 the Rt. Hon. David Lloyd George, M.P., then Minister of Munitions, visited the factory and officially named the new district surrounding the factory as 'Georgetown'. He was the British Prime Minister from 1916 to 1922. By August 1917, over 10,000 workers, mainly women, were employed in the factory. Apart from the factory buildings, over 100 timber dwel!ing houses, eight smal! hostels and eight bungalows were built. There were also two fully equipped hospitals. power stations, and lighting and heating plants. No traces ofthe factory or its buildings now remain.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek