Blaenavon in old picture postcards

Blaenavon in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Bowen
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Torfaen
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2269-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Blaenavon in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. A horse-drawn cart owned by J eremiah Emery, a coal merchant who later became manager of the Blaenavon Company stables. The photograph, which was taken at the Coal Yard, shows North Street workers' housing in the background. The Coal Yard occupied part of the site of the original ironworks,

30. The coke ovens and by-product plant onee provided Blaenavon with its gas supply. The plant was eommonly known as 'The Ottos', beeause it was eonstrueted by a German engineer in 1912. Today, German industry gratefully remembers the contribution whieh Gilehrist Thomas made to the steel industry.

31. This fine study of MI. and Mrs. Bayliss was probably taken outside their house in the later years of the 19th century. Mr. Bayliss, who was ernployed at Kay's Slope Colliery, lived in Bunker's Row. These were back-te-back cottages, mainly used by miners, and they were built at around the same period as the North Street ironworks and Stack Square.

32. Blaenavon High Level Station, on the London North Western Railway, opened in 1868. The line ran through the eentre of the Blaenavon steelworks. The line to the neighbouring town of Brynmawr onee had along its length the highest station in Wales, at Waunavon (the height being over 400 metres). Huge numbers of wagons painted with the name of Blaenavon used to travel southwards carrying vast quantities of coal for export, as well as steel produets bound for the eo ast at Newport.

33. A faseinating aerial view of Blaenavon town centre in the early 1930s. Many of the major streets ean be seen. Among streets which have been demolished, either partly or wholly, are: Albert Street, Market Street, Baker Street, Hill Street, Ivor Street and Cross Street. These are visible on this view of the town, as are several ehapels and public houses whieh have sinee closed.

34. Above: A view of Prince Street taken from the 'Hallelujah Lamppost' around the year 1910 and showing some of Blaenavon's oldest buildings, Note the quaint dress of the children.

Below: Prince Street, showing the present Queen Victoria public house. Some of the dwellings in this street were among the oldest in Blaenavon. One of them acted as a school in bygone times.

35. A general view of Blaenavon from Varteg Road, just after the turn of the century. The stack which can be seen at the top of the picture gave its name to Stack Square, which was near the ironworks in North Street. It serves as a reminder of the town's industrial origins.

36. A general view of Broad Street in about 1904 which gives some impression of the teeming life of the town during the early years of the century. By this time Blaenavon's population had risen to more than ten times its level at the beginning of the 19th century. According to local sourees the cart seen at right belonged to a fruit or vegetabie seller. It stands in front of the present Market Tavern public house.

37. A view down Broad Street, which had by this time become the town's main commercial area. Broad Street was originally known as Heol-y-Nant (Brook Street); the road once followed the course of an oid stream, and several bridges crossed this stream. The figures in the photograph show far more interest in the camera than wouid be the case today.

38. Above, left: The lower half of Broad Street in the first decade of the present century, showing the characteristic horse-drawn transport of the time. This picture, originally hand-coloured, shows the smart appearance of the tewn's shops.

Below: An interesting scene from the upper half of Broad Street in the early years of the century. The Chapel at right will be recognised as the Primitive Methodists - 'Prims' - then Blaenavon's largest. Above, right: An early study of Lion Street, showing several commercial premises which will be recognised by present residents. However, businesses such as Robinson's (pawnbroker's) have long since departed.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek