Blaenavon in old picture postcards

Blaenavon in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Bowen
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Torfaen
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2269-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Blaenavon in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Above: This scene in the upper part of Broad Street shows the present Lion and Rolling Mill public houses. Outside the shop on the right can be seen a pile of coaI; this used to be a common sight on delivery day, The woman standing to the left of the pillar box was apparently a well-known character; she was a deaf mute.

Below: The Forgehammer Hotel was once a popular hostelry, Like the present-day Rolling Mill, it has a name which is a reminder of Blaenavon's industrial history . The car to be seen at the kerb-side may possibly be an Austin Seven.

40. A fameus local scene showing the effects of one night's snowfall on the streets of the town in 1916 - the year of the Battle of the Som me. Snowdrifts have been known to reach such heights that sheep have been able to find their way on to the roofs of houses. Blaenavon has frequently suffered from weather of this kind. lts isolation from surrounding communities has helped lend it and its people an uniquely individual character.

Right: Another lively Broad Street scene which illustrates the wealth of Blaenavon's commerciallife during the town's heyday. Many of the commercial premises have long since closed. The White Hart public house was on the site of the present car park.

41. A view east over the centre of Blaenavon in 1918; it was the time when the town's population was nearing its peak. Local people will recognise the burnt-out shell of the Cooperative Wholesale Society ethe Co-op') - just one of many stores in a once-prosperous town.

42. Cwmavon Road - one of the more opulent areas of Blaenavon, and a souree of considerable pride to its residents, The high standard of the housing here signified the prosperity of this valley town.

43. This photograph taken just after World War One on the site of the present-dav recreation ground shows what looks like a peaceful rural scene. In fact, within a distance of a mile was situated one of the wortd's foremost industrial eentres for the production of coal, iron and steeL Such was the attraction of the Blaenavon area in those days that numero us important sporting and cultural events took place within the town. The man leading a horse is MI. Webb, the park groundsman.

44. This excellent study of the Railway Hotel in Corn Street, just opposite the Low Level station, dates from the turn of the century. Of particular interest is the horse and cart, which apparently belonged to the Great Western Railway. Same of the railway's officials ean be seen in the photograph.

45. Blaenavon Station, on the Great Western Railway, was opened in 1852. It provided a vitallink to the outside wor1d until its sad closure in the Beeching era of the 1960s. Also to be seen here is the Lcdging House (later arefuge for down-and-outs), The photograph was probably taken during the Great War. The railway originally folio wed the line of a trarnroad leading to the canal, which was lower down the valley at PontypooI.

46. A sornbre group of men outside a boot shop in King Street in the first decade of the century. Particularly characteristic of the period are the cloth caps worn by the men and the clay pipe smoked by the figure in the foreground.

47. Above: King Street - seen here in 1906 was onee the thriving commercial eentre of the town. Originally known as Heol-ust-tewi (roughly translated: 'The Street of Whispers'), it onee eontained eleven public houses almost as rnany as there are in the present-dav Blaenavon. Note the Hovis delivery cart, onee a familiar sight in the town.

Below: Another view of King Street; note the gas lighting. This photograph eannot be dated precisely, but it is likely that it was taken before the First World War.

48. Younger residents of Blaenavon may be intrigued as to the Iocation of this scene. lt is in fact Avon Road. The impressive building in the background is the 'Stationmaster's House', now demolished. Mr. W. MitchelI, who provided this photograph, is the small boy to be seen second on the right.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek