Blidworth in old picture postcards

Blidworth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   W. Richards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Nottinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3355-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Blidworth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. One of the postrnaster's sons was an invalid for a long time, and Jack Kemp the blacksmith was commissioned to build an invalid carriage which could be pulled by a donkey. Len Harris (wearing the watch-chain) the invalid's brother was later hirnself postmaster at both the Main Street and Mansfield Raad offices. The burly man was Jack Kemp in bis Sunday best clothes, and the donkey belonged to Bill Hallam. who used the donkey and cart to take hirn to his workplace. Bill Hallam suffered permanent lameness and received a pittance for breaking stones with which the roads were repaired. Farmers collected large stones from the fields and delivered them to Bill and his workmate Chippy Godfrey at some point in the road where they bad taken their stone-breaking tools. While being smashed with a hammer <hp stones were kept prisoner by a hand-held sickle-shaped tool- then they had to he passed through a mesh beföre they qualified for r ment.

10. This would be the scene on Main Street just after the turn ofthe century. There was no main drainage and water can be seen running in the gutters at the side of the road. Some water ran down Marriott Lane into a pond in the meadows which acted as a soakaway, and when th at pond overflowed the water ran into another pond at the lower end of what is now Meadow Road. Sam Clarke, a bootmaker , lived in the house on the right, and the low building on the edge of the picture was the wash-house and privy. On the otherside ofthe raad is Knowles' general shop. The high chimneys ofthe 'Red Lion' are on the right. The man walking down the street is John Collins, the Registrar and Insurance Agent who, like Joseph Whitaker, always walked on the raad and never on the pavement.

11. Folk still living in Blidworth and the locality will recognise themselves and their contempories in this picture which was taken in or about the year 1920. Knowles' , Nixons' , Franks', Locks', Sills', Smiths' and Pemblingtons al! have more than one member of the family on this photograph taken outside the Wesleyan School. On the right is the Headmaster, Mr. Harry James Alexander Hadgkiss, who was also a magistrate and lay preacher, who lived with his family in The Meadows. During the First World War he wrote patriotic songs with alocal flavour which were sung by a concert-party called: 'The Sunshine Singers' ,and Mr. Hadgkiss organised fund-raising events to aid hospitalised soldiers. His son, Joseph, was killed near Ypres in 1918 and his letters and photographs are in the safe in the chapel.

12. This is how Clifty Naak looked about the year 1908. Same years earlier than this date this part of the village was called St. Margaret's Gate, as all strategie entrances to the village were gated and a man was appointed to see that all the gates were closed and barred at sundown. There is na sign of Hawthome Terrace nor yet of the lovely red hawthome trees which were oncc on the right-hand side of the picture. There were na street lamps and downstairs windows were shuttered. As scarcely any light was shed on to the road folk who had to make a joumey aften carried alantem. The leafless trees show that this picture was taken during one of the colder months of the yearyet no smoke is coming frorn the chimneys. The nearest working colliery at th at time was at Linby, but men used to walk there to work by way of the path through the 80 acre, then Kig Hili and Papplewick. Carters from Blidworth sometimes fetched coal from Langton colliery.

13. The proceedings at the Blidworth Church Rocking ceremony in 1924 were unprecedented. Custom required that the baby chosen to be rocked before the altar in the centuries-old cradie should be the most recentiy baptised baby boy. John Birch was the church sexton and gravedigger, and when his wife gave birth to twin boys a few weeks before Rocking Sunday the Vicar decided that the twins should be rocked. However, a baby boy was bom to another couple soon after the twins were bom. The parents ofthis babyprotested that their child ought to be rocked, sa the Vicar decided to rock all three babies. The twins' mother was toa iIl to attend the ceremony, and the picture shows John Birch's mother holding one ofthe twins while the Vicar, the Reverend John Lowndes, holds the baby whose parents are standing on the right.

14. Coat-gas pipes were first laid in Blidworth shortly befere the First Wor/d War, and pictured is part of the gang of local men recruited to dig the trenches in which the pipes were laid. On the left is Henry (Pratt) Brown who was held in affection by everybody who knew hirn; next is Tommy Clay, a relative though not a descendant of Matthew Clay who left an account ofwhat he saw before, during and after the battle ofWater/oo in which he taak part; the watch-chain is worn by the foreman sent by the SouthwelI Gas Company to oversee the work; and on the right is Jack Watson from the Bottoms. The Blidworth Wesleyan Band of Hope minute baak contains this item dated November 22nd, 1922: As there seems nó prospect of having gas in the school seeing the Southwell Gas Company require [25 for putting it in, and there being na money in the school Trust Fund, a cylinder of liquid acetylene be bought for use with the Magie Lantern.

15. In this picture of Blidworth Bottoms the building seen end-on to the right is the 'Fox and Hounds'. White's genera! shop is in the middle of the picture. The hamIet had severa! small cottages sirnilar to the ones shown all within a radius of a few hundred yards. Useful gardens were attachcd, and poultry and of ten a pig was kept. Aliotments edged Rigg Lane on its western side. A man called 'Fish Jack' from Bulweil toured Blidworth on Friday afternoons selling fish and fruit, hawking it from a horse-barrow. Stabling his horse and hirnself staying the night at the 'Bird in Hand' he would then go through the village again, th en make his way back to BulweIl through the Bottoms. As the area was teeming with game at that time it was rumoured that Bottoms men ensured that fur and feather were part of the returning cargo.

16. Mr. Joseph Whitaker, who had !ived for most of his life at Rainworth Lodge, died there on 27th May 1932. To nature lovers he has chiet1y been remembered as an authority on many forms of animal !ife and particularly on British birds. Besides his naturalist studies, in the course of which he became a Fellow of the Zoological Society and VicePresident of the Selbourne Society, Mr. Whitaker was a collector of china, bric-à-brac, books, prints and curios. One of the last-mentioned which he retained for many years was the first circular saw ever made - a Mansfield product. The record bag for any shooting-party in Notts. was made on the Berry Hill estate on 10th October 1906, and Mr. Whitaker was one of the party of seven. Arnong other game 1,504 partridges were shot. The Gilbert White memorial window in Selborne church was commissioned by Mr. Whitaker.

17. This stone trough onee stood at the side of the Main Street on the outside of the bend half-way between the church and Blaek Bull Square. It was fed by spring water piped from the overflow of another trough which was housed in acellar beneath one of the gardens behind the wall. The eeJlar was always cold and could have been used as a kind of refrigerator as weil as a souree of water supply . The large paving-stones were typical of those which flanked the narrow streets of old B1idworth. Common mallow gave colour to the verges and a huge labumum flourished in the garden.

18. There were cavernous ce!lars under the ground behind the stone wa!l on the left, with steps leading from them into the house. Arms were stored in these ce!lars during the time that Napoleon threatened invasion. William Hopkinson, who was 21 years old at the time and who lived to be 98, said: 'Sometimes reglars used to corrie' - meaning that serving soldiers gave advice to Blidworth's equivalent of the Home Guard. It is claimed that Maid Marion lived in the site over the cellars. The chapel is seen as it looked from 1837 to 1932. The lightcolonred buildings in the chapel yard were used to store iron for the blacksmith, linseed cake for cattle , chains for many uses, rakes, scythes and other implements. During the period 1870-1925 the shop with the board over the door was used for business by Brodies, Springthorpes and the Kirkby-in-Ashfield Co-operative Society. Merryweathers' general shop was on the further side of the adjoining yard entrance . Decorative iron railings stood on the wall in front of Beecholme.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek