Blidworth in old picture postcards

Blidworth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   W. Richards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Nottinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3355-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Blidworth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. This motor-char-à-banc was the vehicle which started a regular service between Mansfield and Blidworth via Rainworth. It was operated by Davis and Hope from a garage near the railway bridge on Southwell Road near Mansfield. This picture was taken at Matlock, and shows the driver Jim Davis leaning on the vehicle and the char-à-banc full of Blidworth folk on a day's outing. The object protruding from the back end is a folding tarpaulin sheet which was stretched over the top of the passengers in bad weather. The hinges on the several side doors can be seen, and also a headlamp with its acetylene gas container. The tyres were of solid rubber. Folk in this picture taken in 1920 who still have descendants living in the locality are Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. Booth, three generations of the Ulyett family, Fosters, Mrs. Bourne, Mrs. Harpham, Franks' girls, Mrs. Baxter and of course Charlotte Marshall who went everywhere.

20. Taken about the year 1901 the picture shows scholars of the Church School. On the right is the Headmaster Mr. Frederick Gore and his wife who also taught is in the middle of the group. Before 1846 Blidworth children had received what little schooling was available in the stables at the Vicarage, but in that year Jonathan Hardcastle of Blidworth Dale (whose memorial tablet is in the church) gave a site in what was then the middle of the village. Subscriptions collected totalled fl,474 7s 9p and local farmers supplied horses, carts, men and labour free to transport the 102,000 bricks and stones needed to build the new school. In fourteen weeks the building was completed, and on Whit Tuesday Mr. Hardcastie laid the foundation stone inscribed LA US DEO which many people will remember seeing at an angle of the building near the main door. The gentleman on the left was the Vicar, the Reverend R.H. Whitworth, F.R.H.S., whose incumbency of 43 years in Blidworth was so great an influence for good that the parishioners placed a stained glass window in his memory in the church.

21. Children walking home from school to Fishpool and beyond. Clay Bank is on the left and on the bank was Clay Pond, formed by the remaval of clay to make building-bricks for the village about 1860. In springtime children took frogspawn from the pond and put it in jamjars which were placed on the school window-sill so that the spawn could be seen developing into frogs. Harry Grass lived for many years in the cottage nearest the church at the bottorn of the hill. He was the rabbit-catcher on the Haywood Oaks part of the Sherwood Lodge estate and was a familiar figure as he strode through the village with dogs at heel, staff in hand and satchel on back. On the skyline is the gable-end of two of the cottages on Rickett Lane which have since been dernolished. The well-head which stood outside the further cottage was placed on exhibition in the grounds of Nottingham Castle, but has since been returned to Blidworth and now stands at the top of Surgery Lane.

22. During the lee Age glacial deposits were left in Blidworth parish, particularly in a field about half a mile West of the church known as Rock Close. Same of these deposits were removed to aid cultivation, but the largest has been left unmolested. Called colloquially 'The Rock', it is shown on the maps as the Druids' Stone, and because of its size and shape it is probable that the Druids used it. Fourteen feet high and with a f1attish top it would be ideal for the rites practieed by the Druids. Perhaps the most interesting feature is the natural hole through the middle at ground level. In more recent times children were passed through the hole to cure whooping-cough. The public footpath running past the Rock came to a wood in which a farnily had excavated a dwelling dug out of the earth and roofed with branches and straw. Fearful do-gooders complained to the authorities - but the inspeetor said that he had never seen a more healthy family.

23. Taken soon after the first cauncil houses were built in Blidworth, except for the lone house oppasite Belle Vue Lane, there was na ather building on Mansfield Road. Near where the men are standing in the road was a stile in the hedge, and the footpath led diagonal!y across the field behind the trees to Belle Vue Lane. After crossing the lane the path led past Tharney Abbey Farm to Rainworth railway station, from where a train could be caught to Mansfield. There was na bus service to Blidworth until the mid-1920s. The gas lamp on the corner was the only illumination for Dale Lane. The stretch of road going towards Mansfield was called 'up Brickki'ns' because the bricks used to build much of old Blidworth were kilried in the field on the right just over the hili.

24. For nearly fifty years Charlotte Marshall was the cleaner and organ-blower far Blidwarth Parish Church during the incumbency of six different Vicars. Although she was Iame as weIl as having a speech impediment she regularly walked to the church, the school, St. Andrew's Mission. and rarely missed a programme at the Scala cinema. No parish outing was complete without her, and this photograph was taken at Skegness where the church choir had been taken on their annual trip to the seaside.

25. The blacksmith's shop. Charles Simpson, the waistcoated figure behind the grindstone, owned the business and lived at the house at the top of the steps. Wearing the leather apron is Jack Kemp who was immensly strong as weil as being a skiIled workman. There were two anvils in the shop with their fireplaces and bellows and there was room for two hores to be shod at the same time. There was a manually operated metal-drill and as weil as quenching-troughs there were racks for special toois. To the right of the shop door was an iron-bending device which shaped the flat lengths of iron into large circles to be used as tyres on cart wheels. To the left of the door was where the wooden wheels made by Tom Clarke the wheelwright across the road were laid down and made fast ready to be fitted with tyres, which were harnmered on red hot. Water was then poured on to shrink the iron and swell the wood and, as speed was important, passers-by and boys often helped in this eperation.

26. Taken on the south si de of the Church School in 1914 is a group of the older girls. From left to right on the back row is Mabel Parkin who at that time lived on Ashwell Terrace with old Mrs. Ulyett: Mary Green who lived at the Mill House and whose father was last of a number of millers who worked the tower mill; Connie Carter who lived on Rigg Lane; Wirmie Denman who lived on Rock Terrace and who used to sing 'Won't you buy my pretty flowers' at the school concerts; Eleanor Bird who at that time lived in The Meadows; their teacher Miss Owen, who also lived in The Meadows with the family of Mr. George Bull who kept bees; Gladys Booth also of The Meadows; and Grace Shopland who lived on Main Street. On the front row is Ethel Brooks whose family kept the 'Bird in Hand'; Wirmie Robinson lived on Rock Terrace; and Lizzie Holloway was a memher of a well-known Blidworth fanning family. Behind the photographer was the girls' playground with earth-closets down the steps at the bottom . The boys' playground adjoining had similar facilities.

27. This was the shop in Blidworth Bottoms. The proprietress in the early part of this century was Mrs. White , and the picture shows her daughter Gertie and son Billie holding the dogs. Many cottagers kept dogs such as these because they would bark at strangers and because wild rabbits were plentiful. Note the heavy window-shutters. Another well-used means of supply to Blidworth Bottoms was the 'stores motor'. If residents left a written order on Thursday at the shop of the Kirkby-in-Ashfield Cooperative Society in Blidworth, on Saturday moming a lorry would deliver the goods ordered. Boys from Blidworth would gladly jump on the lorry to carry the goods into the houses because of the interesting route taken. First calls were at Haywood Oaks, then via Salterford, Sansom's Wood and Tithe Farm to Bottoms. Then via Appleton Dale , The Lodge, the Waterworks and Long Dale to Blidworth Dale from where an old coachroad led to Bottoms Farm. Almost the whole route was through the Seely estate where full-time gamekeepers were ernployed, and a large number of pheasants and partridges were to be seen.

28. At one time the edifice known as St. Lawrence's Chantry was on the southern boundary of the churchyard, but the halJowed ground has been extended during the last fifty years. The Reverend R.H. Whitworth wrote in the 'Mansfield Advertiser" in 1904: Considerable pleasure has been given in this [orest village by restoration to within sacred ground of the remains of {Wo churches more ancient than the present. They are simple, interesting, and suggestive. It is remarkable that the windowsills of the latter of the {Wo are cut from incised and rather elaborate slab crosses [rom an older structure. The last ejection was about 1840 - into the raad. The late Mrs. Need (mother of Sir Arthur) drove by and rescued the stones from a destructive fate ... It has been impossible to fol/ow any particular design on reconstruction, but the fruitfut and accommodating resource of Mr. G. Wells of Caunton has produced an erection whose interest has already outlimited the parish.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek