Blidworth in old picture postcards

Blidworth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   W. Richards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Nottinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3355-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Blidworth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Church dignitaries visited the Blidworth and Newstead areas in 1904 and wrote in the Church Times: A mile to the East of Blidworth is the extra-parochial ancien! liberty of Haywood Oaks where there is a splendid remnant of the old forest of Sherwood. About seventy grand old aaks, most of them in full vigour and mighty in proportion, remain to teil the tale of the glories of th is woodland district in its prime. One great trunk that we measured had a girth of twenty-five feet about five feet from the ground, and several others measured from seventeen feet to eighteen feet at a like height.

30. This was the view looking south from the road close to where Blidworth Post Office now stands. The wood was called Rookwood. The public had access to it, and folk will remember the pleasure they had in it. There were al!otment gardens near the two tall trees on the skyline. The smal! tree behind with the white railings was the Jubilee Oak, planted to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. This tree was removed to the grounds of Rainworth Lodge when land was needed at the lane junction where the 'Forest Folk' now stands, but did not long survive the transplant. The railings had a mark on them said to be made by the teeth of a man who was killed when his bicycle ran into them after failing to negotiate the bend. The line of cottages is still cal!ed Clifty nook. Thomas Cresswell Godfrey lived in the end cottage. He was known as Tom Cress, after the fashion of the times of calling folk by all their Christian names, and very few knew that his surname was Godfrey.

31. Pictured is the Blidworth Bottoms football team in 1928. Around 1919 Blidworth Olympic played on Brooks' field beyoud the Soft Water Trough; in 1926 Blidworth Juniors played on a pitch off Field Lane; andshortly afterwards Blidworth Wesleyans played in The Meadows while the Red Rose had a pitch near the angle of Haywood Avenue and Saville Street, These clubs existed without any financial backing or sponsors hip and of ten travelled to away matches on the back of a lorry. Players paid sixpence per head for transport te all matches both near and far in the Sutton and Skegby League. There was a lot of local rivalry, and friendly matches arranged between neighbouring villages and hamlets were often anything but friendly.

32. On the hili behind the Methodist Church stands the building which was formerly the Wesleyan School, built in 1885. The picture shows the Headmaster, Mr. H.I.A. Hadgkiss, with the class he taught in 1911. The door behind Mr. Hadgkiss led into the 'big room'. After school hours the big room was some times used for cultural activities such as the Choral Society. Perhaps the best attended meetings were those arranged by the temperanee organisation the Band of Hope, first starred in Blidworth in 1910. An illuminating minute of one of their meetings dated 22nd November 1922, reads: As there seems na prospect of ha ving gas in the school, seeing the Southwell Gas Company require [25 for putting it in and there being na money in the Trust funds, a cylinder of liquid acetylene be bought for use with the magie lantem. A Post Mill once stood between the school and the tree in the background, and the field is still called Mil! Croft. This mil! was pulled down in 1879. Mill Croft was the venue of most of the village Gala occasions until the 1920s.

33. Although described as Rock Cottages on this photograph, this row of houses was called Rock Terrace. Another picture shows the Rock or Druids' Stone which is quite near and which suggested a name for these houses. Rock Terrace should not be confused with Rockside, a large building which had been sub-divided many years ago to form two houses with gardens that fronted onto the top of Field Lane Hill opposite The Laurels. Mr. Samuel Bogue and his family lived in one of the Rockside houses and the Misses Wilson in the other. When Rockside was demolished there was a stone over the door marked: 'Richard Grammar and his wife Anne 1676' but this had probably been taken from another house that had been lived in by the Grammers. There was a hand-pump in the scullery of Wilsons' house and during building preparations in 1985 a well114 feet deep was uncovered. A stone on the top had the date 29th June 1813 carved on it. Richard Grammer was woodward (a kind of gamekeeper) of Blidworth Wood in the Archbishopric of York.

34. A few yards outside Blidworth parish stood the Inkpot Toll Bar at Rainworth. For some years a toll had been levied for using this raad, and in 1824 a ten ton weighing-machine was installed. In 1867 the weighing-machine was sold for fl2 but the toll-house remained occupied for nearly a century. Rainworth's historie tree ean be seen at the road junction with the 'Robin Hood' behind it.

35. Slaney's Stone about eighteen inches high can still be found by the side of Chapel Lane, Fishpool, about 150 yards north of the 'Sherwood Rariger' public house, although its original site was lower down the valley. Mr. John Slaney lived at the fann known at that time as Canary Island, where the Long Dale Craft Centre is now, and he sometimes drove in his horse and cart to the 'Littie John'. On the night of 24th January 1893, his horse and cart arrived back at the farm driverless, sa his wife drove back to look for him and she found him lying in the road. Helpers taak him back to the pub, where he was found to be dead. It was said that forensie evidence suggested that he was relieving himself from the cart and pitched head first onto the lane.

::

r"l ?.. I!.

. ;.

' ..

36. The Wesleyan Chapel, 1837 to 1932, was erected on the site of the first chapel which was built in 1787. A day school was started in 1843 in the rooms at ground level under the chapel and it continued until1885 when a new school was built. Boot-scapers can be seen on either side of the main door. Inside the chapel yard can be seen the end of one of the three terraeed houses which once stood there , and at the top of the yard the high chimneys from the school heating-stoves. The arc-shaped stone wall in the middle of the road framed a trough, and was a favourite loafing-place. Stone posts supported the ornamental gates. The chapel was the religieus and social centre for its members. In addition to the Sunday services members met once a week in 'class' for mutual religious confidences and experienee; each class having a leader with ability and integrity, well-versed in the Scriptures and able to give wise counsel drawn from the wells of experience.

37. The pipe organ was installed in the Wesleyan Chapel in 1870 at a cost of IS5. At that time hymn books were scarce and folk could not afford to buy them; so the preacher would read out two lines of a hymn which were then sung, then two more lines, and so on. A boy usually blew the organ - that is he pumped a wooden handle which operated bellows which sent 'wind' to the pipes, On one memorable occasion the chairman of the Rally thanked the speaker, the choir, the organist and the congregation - then announced the last hymn. No sound came from the organ. Folk saw the organist leave his seat to see if the organ-blower had fallen asleep - but the boy had staged a lightning strike. The organist whispered to the chairman who then thanked the organ-blower for his indispensable service, and music filled the chapel once again.

38. Rainworth Lodge, where Joseph Whitaker made his horne for the greater part of his life, was a veritable museum containing many rare specimens of bird and animallife. Almost the whole of the wall space was used to accommodate hundreds of cases of exhibits. These contained no fewer than 520 varieties of birds and 52 varieties of animals. among them being a white fox caught in Notts., a white otter captured in Scotland, and two white hedgehogs. There was also an unrivalled collection of albinos. The deer park near the house was stocked with rare Japanese deer, and some of these extremely shy animals were tarne enough to feed out of the owner's hand. On 23rd June 1883, Mr. Whitaker's gamekeeper Alf Spinks unknowingly shot an Egyptian nightjar. This was the only time that this species had ever been recorded in England, and until recently this bird was exhibited in Mansfield Museum.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek