Blidworth in old picture postcards

Blidworth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   W. Richards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Nottinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3355-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Blidworth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49, An aerial view of Fountain Dale as it looked about 1925, For many years the house was owned and oeeupied by MI. and Mrs. Tom Shipside, and the surrounding well-kept grounds were well-known to local people because garden parties for deserving causes were often held there. Beyond the house the Fish Lake can be seen - one of the three lakes in the graunds fed by Rainworth Water near its souree , Beyond the lake part ofThe Moat can be seen, and Friar Tuck is said to have lived on the graund enclosed byThe Moat. Friar Tuck's Weil is just downstream of the lowest of the three lakes. In the top left-hand corner of the picture is the old coach-raad which ran fram Black Scotch Lane (the Scottish drovers' road) into the court yard at the back ofthe house, The coach-road on the left went to the ornamental gates ne ar Bessie Sheppard's Stone. During the 1926 strike schoo!children walked from Blidworth to be entertained to tea on the circular lawn.

50. There is room to write only of three of this Wesleyan School class pictured about 1918. Jessie Wheeldon was the teacher on the left, and she worked excellently both in the school and with the many other activities such as the Women's Sewing Meeting. The girl in white at the other end of the second row was Elsie Pemblington who was 'the best monitor the school ever had'. The lad with the white collar standing next to her was Alee Watson who was valued as a teenager beeause he had a wheelbarrow and he would move a ton of coal into the coal-house from the road for a shilling. Two maiden ladies who had been educated at boarding-school and feit that theyshould concern thernselves with the moral welfare of the villagers once saw Alec's barrow standing outside the 'Bull' for a long time, and taak it as irrefutable evidence that Alec was drinking, so they lectured hirn later despite his protestations of innocence. That evening he put his barrow outside the ladies' gate in ful! view of passers-by- and left it there al! night!

51. The row of cottages once known as Mount Pleasant were at one time the most easterly houses in Blidworth village. Natives of Blidworth can tell of characters who lived on Mount Pleasant. One was George Goodall who came to the village as a foundling and was brought up by a family at Norwood Hill Farm. He himself became a farmer - then retired in old age to live in the end house on the left in Mount Pleasant. He kept hives of bees there, and he seemed to have a way with them. Ever ready with practical help as weil as quiet advice he was greatly respected. Jack Hayes was a jack-of-all-trades. Most often recognised by the box of ferrets on his back he would volunteer to do anything from marking out the cricket pitch to mowing grass in the churchyard. He was a regular mernber of the team that visited farms threshing corn, and when Stocks' steam-engine, threshing-drum, straw-picker and chopper chuffed through the village it was a matter of pride that Jack should steer the engine at that time.

52. The picture shows Friar Tuek's Weil in 1952 after the Fountain Dale estate had been sold. The weil had been surrounded by ernamental railings and covered by thick stone slabs, but a tree blown down in a gate started the destruction - then the slabs disappeared. The stones lining the cavity of the weil can still be seen. The wel! was not the usual sunken well, but rather like a large bath fed by a spring of water in the bottom. This is a chalybeate spring having medicinal qualities, and the iron can be identified. Periodically this spring dries up, as do al! the springs from this point westward to the stream's souree near the Nottingham-Mansfield raad, and the lakes at Fountain Dale dry up. The valley's dryness lasts for seven years and is said to be because Friar Tuck imposed a curse because of a grievance. After the wettest summer for many years in 1985 the valley dried up in the autumn. Will the water return in 1992?

53. About a hundred yards to the north west of Friar Tuek's WeH at Fountain Dale is The Maat. This excavation about 200 yards long is shaped like three of the sides of a rectangle. The south trench of The Moat is where the stream ran before the lake was excavated, but because the course of the stream was altered, the lake gets ful! of water while The Maat now has a low level of stagnant water. Many years ago a simple wooden footbridge spanned The Maat and a notice-board proclairned that this was the spot where Robin Hood and Friar Tuck disputed the right ofway. Words led to blows, and each in turn was knocked into the stream below - but afterwards they became firm friends. The claim that this was the spot is not improbable as it is close to where there was a route through the forest for hundreds of years.

54. Looking from the 'Black Bull' up the street towards the horse trough, which can be seen where the pavement ends on the right-hand side of the road. The young lady's bicyde had cords on each side of the rear wheel from the mudguard to the hub to prevent the long dress being caught in the spokes of the wheel. Behind the bicycle is the shop where Alf Longden cut men's hair and mended boots. Merryweathers' general shop is in the centre of the picture, and at the time this picture was taken, about 1905, Springthorpes' shop was the next building on the Main Streel. The telephone link to Blidworth had only recently been made. The pole supported only two lines. The beer at the 'Black Bull' was not brewed on the premises: The complete sign read 'Shipstone's Home Brewed Ales' and the beer was delivered by a gaudily-painted dray pulled by four decorated Shire horses.

55. Before motor-lorries became common, the not so bulky items were transported in carriers' carts. Mary Radford of Blidworth Bottoms was one such carrier, and Joseph Whitaker wrote of her: A most interesting old woman did the carrying for us and many more in the parish. Though she could neither read nor write she rarely forgot a message or order. She had a small cart and a very good looking donkey named Jack, and it mattered not, snow, hail or rain, she went to Mansfield every Thursday and Saturday and returned at all hours. Everyone knew old Mary Radford, and na one would think of interfering with her except now and then in fun. She had na idea offear, and continued to do her work: until well over eighty, and her kind weather-beaten face was missed by scores who had known her all their lives.

56. These houses stood opposite the 'White Lion'. They are typical of other rows of houses in sorne Nottinghamshire villages built in the eighteenth century, and knitting-frarnes were worked in the upstairs rooms. Blidworth's last knitting-frame was removed from the house in the far corner about 90 years ago. In spi te of the poor light from the smal! windows folk worked long hours at the frames to supplement the low wages. The raw material for making hose was brought from Nottingham by carriers' cart, and the finished stockings returned to Nottingham. The earth closets for all these houses were bunched together behind the building on the left. That building contained a lathe that was powered by the eperator's foot. An inside door led into the joiner and wheelwright's workshop. William Hopkinson, who died in 1888 aged 98 and could remember the time ofthe battle of Waterloo, lived in one ofthe houses. For more than 50 years he was responsibie for paying the wages of all who worked in the woods for the Duke of Portland.

57. Befare the FirstWorJd War the Post Office was nearthe bottom of Beek Lane, and the signboard can be seen over the window. Harry Chantry, the viHage handyman, lived in the house behind the stallion. Besides mending clocks, bikes and nearly everything else he was available to give men a periodical haircut or shave. Pratt Brown told of an occasion when as he opened the gate he was surprised to see a man submerging the lower part of his face in the rainwater butt outside the door. When he enquired the reason the man said: 'You'll soon see if you have a shave.' After being lathered Pratt's face began to sting alarmingly, sa he said: 'What sort of soap are you using, Harry?' It transpired that Harry had made his own that day, and overdone the soda! An immaculately turned out stallion was regularly taken on a tour of the area for stud purposes. The groom came from a farm on the Seely estare.

58. This is how Rainworth Lodge looked when Mr. Whitaker lived there. Across the road from the gate were the stonewalled sheep pens which formed part of the sheepwash. The road from Blidworth to this point was called Washdyke Lane and beyond was called Three Thorn Hollow. Just befere their annual clipping sheep were driven from miles around to have their wool washed. Edged by large stone slabs a bath about four feet deep had been built in the stream. A man would catch each of the penned sheep in turn and push it into the bath - and this was not easy work. By the side of the bath was another man whose job it was to control the sheep with his specially shaped crook so that the wool was thoroughly washed. After being washed each sheep was allowed to climb out at the shallow end and then to graze until the flock was ready to be driven back home. A horse-float usually followed the flock to pick up lame and tired sheep.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek