Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Frank D. Simpson
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3053-0
:   112
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

J3ren/wood, )'I{iddle/on )(all ~ Eane.

89. This card shows Middleton Hall which was the home of Joseph Tasker Esq., and later of his daughter Countess Tasker upon whose death it became a private mental institution conducted by Dr. Haynes, following which it has become the preparatory department of Brentwood SchooL It was a very beautiful house with fine grounds and a first class stud at the rear. The lane made a pleasant walk near to town centre, but more recently has become heavily trafficked by vehicles avoiding the cross roads, so would not today be very suitable for teaching a lady to ride a bicycle.

90. A 1926 view of the High Road at Shenfield. Right is the forge and wheelwrights shop of the Rayner family, left is Worrin Road, named after the owner of Glanthams Farm nearby, which also gives it name to a road on the estate. Shenfield Place, home of the Courage family, is on the right. A farmer's float is outside the smithy whilst the horse is inside being shod. New development has meant the demolition of these traditional buildings. Notice the very unusual road warning sign.

91. Just below the Shenfield forge stood the parish pump, seen here shortly after it had been renovated after falling into a very dilapidated state about 1927. The old gentleman filling his pail is George Dowsett, who was a familiar figure in the village for many many years during which time he fulfilled the duties of postman. He lived in the cottages across the road. The pump has now vanished with the redevelopment of the area.

92. This view at about 1930 at the junction with Hutton Road shows the Green Dragon Inn, which is still recognisable, and to the right Platt's Garage which was taken down soon after this was photographed. The new premises can just be seen nearing completion bebind. Petrol is on sale for 1/4d (6Vzp) a gallon; the large advertisement of the Parade Cinema tells us that the big films to be exhibited that week were 'Temptation' and 'Rumba'. The usual collection of oil cabinets and similar impedimenta of the period are all there.

5i1E fIE!.D.1645.

'E:Ja1L. -. '

93. The camera, now pointed down Chelmsford Raad, shows the original Eagle and Child Inn which was always known as the Bird and Baby. It was replaced by the present building about 1936. Shorter Avenue and Tudor Close now branch off right and a motor garage erected where the trees are; there was a Iittle hairdressers establishment just to the right of the inn. The customary horse trough is by the post supporting the inn sign. The present garage in Hutton Raad was originaIly started in the old farm buildings on the left in 1919. There was a good bowling green and club behind the inn until it was taken down.

94. Hutton Road, Shenfield about 1908 when it first began to develop as a residential district. Left is the first parade of shops newly finished with only two yet occupied. Glanthams Farm, mentioned earlier, stands bebind the trees on the left, and shops and the parish hall have since been built on the open land on the right, The corn and pet food shop soon changed hands and continued as a butchers shop for a very long time.

95. An interior view of the first Shenfield station in Great Eastern days about 1910. The signal box can be seen at the far end of the down platform. There is an interesting assortment of enamelled metal signs nailed on the fencing which includes Sutton's Seeds, Epps Cocoa, Mazawattee Tea, Bovril, Brands Essence and Walkers Gravesend Ales and Stout, only two of these products can be purchased today, There was one more platform on the right which accommodated the branch train off the Southend line when it did not run through to London. The locomotive approaching is running with the express goods head code.

96. This view of the same date as the last shows the exterior of the station and the small arch over the Rayleigh Road. The whole of the old station buildings were demolished when the railway was widened, so only the older generation will recognise anything here. Shops have now completely covered all the land on the left, and also on the right, compare with the next card.

97. Here may be seen the impressive new station buildings which replaced those shown in the last two illustrations after doubling of the tracks to Shenfield Junction. They show a certain dignity and fitness for purpose. Outside a venerable heavy old limousine long discarded from sorne gentleman's service waits patiently for its next fare, The aluminium bonneted car to the Ieft is a smart little Rover 9 tourer with hood erected.

98. Passing through the Shenfield station arch to Hutton. This 1906 view is taken at the foot of Bishops Hill facing the arch. Alexander Lane is on the right, and the Hambro office block, which now dominates the scene, is built over the site of Letch's (later Preece & Hom) taxicab garage. The carts outside the Hutton Junction Hotel await their drivers who have stopped 'to water the horses'. It is now sirnply 'The Hutton', narned after a noted geologist James Hutton (1720-1797). All spare land hereabouts is now built over.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek