Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank D. Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

99. A view of 1929 at Hutton by the Chequers Inn before any new building had started, Cedar Road now branches at the side of the inn, and nothing has yet been built on Collins Farm land in the distance. The milk float is Mr. Cross's of Hutton dairy, an early Westcliff bus approaches on its way to Wood Green. The land on the left is now all part of the London County Council estate.

100. Hutton, a pre-1914 view of the junction of Wash Road (right) with Rayleigh Road in which the main road looks very much like a lane. The buildings in the distance are the residential units of the Poplar Schools. The whole of the land in front has more recently been taken by the London County Council for housing purposes, with shops fronting on to Rayleigh Road. The Chequers Inn, see last card, is on the left just off the picture.

101. The Brentwood Council and its officers in 1922, most of whom served for many years. Standing are Councillors A.G. Collis, an electrical engineer; G.S. Aldridge, saddler; J.F. Hough, headmaster of the Grammar School; H.P. Maynard, draper and furnisher, successor to J.J. Crowe; S. Ruggles, of whom no information; A.J. Meeson, the surveyor; and A.D. Cheshire, the Asst. Clerk. Seated are S. Frazer, medical officer; C.E. Lewis, Clerk, also Coroner; Councillors, S. Vincent, veterinary surgeon; F.W. Bitties, headmaster National Schools; J.T. West, retired; W.A. Wilson ofWilson's stores; and A.J. Gibson, medical practitioner.

102. A line-up of the first motor taxicabs in the town circa 1919-20 on the rank on the 'down' side of Brentwood station, which quickly led to the withdrawel of the horse cabs. The nearest driver is Walter Wood, who was still a taxi-driver thirty years later, the driver at the left is believed to he one of the Hendersons' who ran taxis for some years. All are model T Fords, two of which have left-hand drive. Alexandra Road and the Hunter Memorial Hall in the background.

103. In 1908 a party of intrepid Brentwood licensed victuallers and their friends ventured an excursion by one of the 'new-fangled' motor-buses for their summer outing, Maldon being the destination. The omnibus was hired from Thomas Tilling of Peckham from a batch of Dennis chassis with which it was experimenting. They are about to start from the Railway Tavern with an adequate supply of suitable refreshment stowed away no doubt. Notice that no man is without a hat or cap and almost all sport a button-hole which was considered 'de riguer' on such occasions in those days,

:::.----

--

--

--

--

-

-

-,-------

104. An interesting card of a bygone craft of importance during the era of the horse and of the motor until car makers built their own bodies. This is the exterior of the Ellis family business, founded in 1890 in King Edward Road. The forge and wheelwright section was conducted in a building to the left. The staff are here working on the back axle and forecarriage of a fairly heavy trade cart which can be seen within. The business ceased in the late 1930's.

105. The visit of a travelling fair or circus in the days before television was an event of more than ordinary interest. This card of 1927 shows Nicholl's switch-back gondolas arriving in the town. It is stopped by Roden House in Shenfield Road while the crew take refreshrnent in Maddison's coffee shop before proceeding to the fair field, whenee it would be aeeompanied by an arrny of boys and youths on foot or eyc1e who wou1d eagerly wateh its assembly. The train of waggons is being hauled by the magnificent showrnan's scenic road locomotive 'Queen of the South' built by Burrell's of Thetford, Norfolk.

106. An inside view of the Royal Laundry in Ongar Road soon after it was opened in 1905 by W.F. Saunders (in bowler hat) and his partner and manageress Miss Abbot (the lady in black), The premises have been progressively enlarged over the years, the business now forming part of the Advance group. Observe the quantity of frilled and heavily starched articles, everything is dazzling white, coloured underwear or house linen was virtually unknown at this date.

107. This very worn card is of Johnstone Bros' motor garage near the top of Kings Road, circa 1907, which was the birthp1ace of the motor trade in Brentwood. Here can be seen J. Rolfe, who starred in North Road and later at the Mountnessing Motor Works; J.P. Hensmans of Brook Street garage; John Clark of White Hart Garage and Harold Guy of the Ongar Road Quick Service garage, who all received their training here. The premises began as a skating rink, but has now become Bennett's undertaking establishment. Carter Paterson, the carriers, had their depot and stables behind the hoarding.

108. Only older residents will remember woon omnibuses like this were in Brentwood. This is one of the independents or 'pirates' which challenged the London General Co's near monopoly between 1924 and 1934 when London Transport acquired them compulsorily. This is The Reliance which ran to Leytonstone where the card shows it taking lavover before returning. Others which went to Stratford included the B.B.P., Chadwell, Martin and Atlas. Others ran coaches, the best remembered being Hillman's and Sunset or Victory, which ran to Bow or Charing Cross.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek