Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank D. Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19. This 1928 card clearly shows the changed appearance of the scene in the last card, which also includes the Palace, the town's first cinema made from Charter's old drapery shop to include two small loek-ups and still retaining the original fascia. Next come the new shops mentioned at card No. 18: left, the house is now Cullen's grocery taken later by Mence Smith. The Chequers now has a red brick frontage. Notice the old fashioned hinged canvas sunblinds on the cycle shop (right). The current film at the Palace is 'The Chess Player'.

20. This eard of about 1910 is a fine front view of the Manor House, on the left in No. 17. It was the home of MI. John Quennell, alocal solieitor in partnership with Mr. C.E. Lewis. He was Clerk to the Justiees and Registrar of the County Court for many years, The house was taken down about 1937 and shops and flats built on its site, Lloyds Bank oeeupying the right-hand end.

HIGH '>TIH+ r BRE:'!T\.00D f,,,,,,,, ~"r

21. A fine aerial view of central High Street area in the late 1920's: bottom centre is the former Town Hall (now Courts furnishers), opposite is the Gas Office, five blocks to the right is the White Hart with its old white plaster front, next is the Midland Bank just above which are the little houses of Cottage Place, demolished circa 1934 to make way for the E1ectric showrooms. North Road Avenue and the Debtors' Field are at the top. The new Chapel High stands where the dump of trees are, and nearly opposite is the white roof of the Palace Cinema: Crown Street is bottom right, The number of old sheds or barns at the rear of the main premises is remarkable, they were seldorn seen by the general public.

22. An 1890 view of middle High Street identifiable by the Westminster, at that time London County Westminster and Parr's Bank on the left. On the right after the second shop are the small shops taken down for a new Essex Bank, now Barciay's. Notice the small windows in David Rist's grocery on the right and in Crowe's china and furniture shop next along: the subsequent alterations to these properties as shown in the next card are worthy of close examination.

23. Another eard from almost the same loeation reveals eonsiderable modernisation has taken plaee at most of the shops; most notabie is the substitution of plate glass- then eoming into fashion - for the old sma1l windows and the use of numerous gas lights in large glass globes for shop window illumination outside. Notice the display of gentlemen's boots outside Mr. Fuller's shop, the most expensive is 8/11 or 45p today! This shop passed to D.C. Smith and then Bata. David Rist's is now the International and Isaae Rist, aeross the street, was taken by the London Cooperative. Next to it is J.J. Crowe's drapery and shoe shop, the new bank is on the right.

24. Diverting left into the north end of the Chapel High taken from part of New Road where are the remains of the thirteenth century chapel which had fallen into a ruinous state after building the present parish church. In 1902 Squire Tower of Weald Hall was instrumental in getting the remains made safe, tidied up and enclosed as shown on this contemporary card. The building right is part of The Priory, a private house erected on the site of the chaplain's house. This was demolished to provide the site for the Odeon cinema and its garden became the car park. All this has in turn been cleared to create the present Chapel High shopping centre.

25. Passing through the Chapel High to the remaining section of New Road, which formerly continued through to the High Street, are the County Court and Congregational Church, both photographed here before the Church House and Technical School were built on the open land. Both have now been removed and their place taken by the new clinic.· The wooden building on the left was part of the premises forming the Queen Inn which also no longer exists. Until the Court House etc., was built in London Road, the County Court building served also as the police court and offices of solicitors Lewis and Quennell.

13renfwoód, . Çrown .Streei;

26. Returning to High Street by way of Crown Street passing the multi-storey car park which occupies the site of the villas and Abbey Lodge, shown on the left. The tree disappeared many years ago. The gates on the right mark the entry to Regency Court built in the grounds of 'Gweedore', home of Mr. J.J. Crowe (mentioned earlier), who took a deep interest in local civic matters. For many years his two daughters ran Gweedore P NEU School for young children which stood in the garden, entered from Primrose Hili.

. ..:;..

27. Facing north fr om almost the same spot as the last view. The buildings on the right suffered considerable damage from enemy action in the last war: the opening by Larkins shop, whîch still trades under that name, is the new entry to South Street which has changed dramatically in recent years, A mobile ice-cream ven dor is approaching in his pony drawn vehicle adapted from a small governess-car. The White Hart Hotel is just visible in the distance.

28. This 1920 card shows the scene on emerging from Crown Street looking to the north side of High Street. The large ironmongery store (left) is now the Midland Bank; next in order are Home & Colonial Stores, Buckle & Blake (grocery); the next pair and the opening to Cottage Place forrned the site for the electric showrooms. Then three more shops and Barclay's Bank recently re-fronted, The roof of the three tall shops was used for many years for the Fire Brigade Escape Rescue competition, an annual event which was eagerly awaited by the town children.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek