Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank D. Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. This view is about ninety-five years ago. The White Hart is on the right, the very narrow entry to Crown Street is on the left, the high clap-boarded property of Carter the grocer was pulled down to improve the width of the road, as was the old Kings Head and a forge on the other corner. A new Kings Head was built farther back frorn the street, and a fish shop was in front where the Nationwide offices now stand. The sign of the former George and Dragon can be seen on the left. Notice the fine three dimensional sign on the White Hart. The vehicle in the foreground appears to be a shell fish cart, the man on the left is carrying his wares on a wooden tray under bis arm.

30. This card, which may be dated about 1900, is taken slightly west of the last. The first shop left is on the site of the old Kings Head (No. 80), next is a wool shop, then Silver's Café, formerly the first International Stores, followed by the Town Hall. On the right the butcher's shop was divided to become a surgery and a builders office. The next was Newman, the saddler, taken by Lipton's, followed by Worrin, a chemist, which became the Gas Office. The next small shop by the posting box was the post office until the first Crown office openedin 1896.

31. The photographer of this card is outside the Town Hall in 1930, ofwhich Evelyn's shop was part. The next three shops were earlier the private house of the Wallis's whose shop has just closed and is up for sale. The vehicles are of interest, there are two flat radiator Morris-Cowleys, an early Austin 7 tourer, and a litt1e Singer van. The omnibus is a Westcliff A ECRelianee going to Southend. First shop on right is Marsh, outfitter, followed by Wallis's hardware and Wilson & Whitworth's, the printers, with the sun blind in front.

High Sireet Brëntwood.

32. This view of about 1906 is a litt1e lower down and facing east, Left is the fine old Swan Inn which was replaced by a new one about 1935. On the right is J.T. Humphrey's pawnbroking establishment with its sign of the three golden balls. Most of the shops mentioned in No. 31 are to be seen on the left, next to the Swan is the tailor's shop of S.H. Taylor, who is looking out of his door with an apprentice probably interested in the sight of an early automobile approaching.

33. A 1908 card of the former Bell Inn, property of Wells & Perry's Chehnsford brewery, taken over by Taylor Walker about 1930 and taken down some years ago when new shops were erected farther back to provide a wider pavement which was very narrow at this point. The site is now in the occupation of 'Good Sense' (fashions), the Essex Trustee Savings Bank and Rumbelows Electrical.

34. From a card of 1912 showing 137-139 High Street which faced Kings Road. These were taken down about sixty years ago to improve the entrance to Weald Lane. Dean's shop was not replaced, two new shops with a surgery and offices over were built on the site, the dairy and tobacconist moved lower down to Nos. 143·145. H. Foley, who has just taken over the dairy from Wm. Guess, is obviously proud of bis new milk float - a good example of this specialised type of vehicle once a familiar sight on the streets. S. Home, who was newsagent as weil as tobacconist, was a familiar figure around the town crying his evening papers he coilected off the train.

35. This card of circa 1900 is very similar to the cover picture, it reveals the original Sir Charles Napier which was rebuilt farther back at the same time as the shops were demolished in the last view. The sign of The Bell and the Town Hall clock are to be seen on the right and Burgess's wine shop which had passed to A.J. Hazell in the later view. The three little girls with the perambulator seem far more concerned with what the photographer is doing than with the possibility of being in the way of any traffic. Kings Road is on the right with the corner of The Institute just in view.

36. Now part of Western Gardens, this old card shows the white-washed cottages known as 'Stone Yard' though the correct address was North Street, The cottages continued round the corner along Western Road and then into Weald Road, and were all cleared at the time of the road improvement, after which the site becarne a car park for some years. One old man kept a donkey in the tiny yard at the back of his cottage which he brought in and out daily through the house and the front door! The flank wallieft bounded Drake's bakery and garden on which the fust houses forming Western Gardens were built.

37. Another of the aerial views of the 1920's showing the Hackney homes for epileptics, now St. Faith's Hospital. Left is the town cernetery, bottorn centre is the newly opened Anglo-Arnerican (now Esso) Oil Coy's distribution depot, built on part of the old brickfield. Right is the La Plata estate where Hubert Road, the Court House, Police Station and houses now stand. La Plata was orlginally known as Westbury Lodge. It was built by a Mr. Dearsley, the last occupier being Mrs. De Pinna.

38. Few will recognise the location of this card of the junction of London Road Brook Street with Spital Lane about ninety years ago, with the village general shop - later Gilbert the butcher. Next is the long delicensed King William IV beerhouse, beyond which is the range of buildings acquired by J.P. Hensmans for his Ford Motor showrooms. Here also he kept his fleet of purple Sunset coaches which operated between Brentwood and Charing Cross until compulsorily acquired by the London Transport Board in 1934 after enjoying great popularity with commuters who paid 10/- (50p) for a weekly ticket.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek