Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Frank D. Simpson
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3053-0
:   112
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. Brook Street village looking east about 1930. Spital Lane is left just beyond Hensman's motor showroom and Mascall's Lane is opposite, Left is the Bull Inn, an old roadside hostelry outside which a man who was examining a horse with a view to purchase had his ear bitten off. At this time the land on the right was occupied by the yard and stables of a cartage contractor, the Kit-Cat transport café and the forge and blacksmith's shop belonging to Mr. Wingrave, his family having worked it throughout from the sixteenth century. The very large telegraph poles were removed a year or sa later.

40. Brook Street a little further west at the same date as the previous card, the Bull Inn in the distance. It would be difficult to attach any more advertising to Turret House which is also the post office. Piccadilly cigarettes were 4d (less than 2p) for 10! None of the six brands advertised here are obtainable today. Note the old type concrete telephone kiosk and the ncwspaper contents bills which ceased with paper rationing in 1939 and have not appeared since.

41. Here is a splendid view of the Golden Fleece taken in 1896, happily it still retains many of its characteristics. The Homesteads estate has not yet been started. The infant Ingrebourne River passes under the road in the dip to join Weald Brook away to the left where there was at one time a water mill; the Moat House stands behind the trees on the right. A few hens appear to be pecking about near the waggon where they will find grains dropped from the horses nosebags. The XVII milestone from London is near the top of the hili.

42. A view in Weald Road looking towards the town from near the Halfway House Farm where the new dual carriage way byepass passes beneath. The tall building over the trees is St. Charles' School which has now beoome a juvenile remand home. This road has long been a favourite walk for Brentwood folk to South Weald village and the park which has now become public.

43. The Belvedere in Weald Park about was built by Thomas Tower Esq. after purchasing the estate in the late eighteenth century. It was a romantic embattled square tower with bevel1ed corners. Originally it was known as the Prospect House enabling its owner to overlook much ofhis property. In recent times the fabric had deteriorated to the point of becoming unsafe, so was taken down, though its approaches still remain,

44. This old postcard shows the former Wheelers' Arms which still exists as a private house. It was a small beer house of Fielders Brewery, and is in Wheelers Lane which links Coxtie Green Road and Navestock Side, and perpetuating a name which would otherwise have been long forgotten as it lost its license about sixty years ago.

45. This is a typical Essex timber framed and weather boarded building from a postcard of about 1898. It is the King William the Fourth in Tan House Lane at Navestock when George Furlong was the landlord. The front garden and hedge have now all been taken to form a car park in front. Seated outside is a real Essex worthy wearing the regular black knitted cardigan jacket over dark grey whipcord waistcoat and trousers with hard hat. Notice also his stick which has been cut from a hedge.

46. A fine view of Pilgrims Hall at Pilgrims Hatch, a good example of Victorian elegance with covered balcony/verandah, and a quiet game of croquet in progress when Dale Womersley Esq., who was a noted sportsman, was owner. Earlier a boarding academy for young gentlemen was conducted here by Alexander Watson. It passed later to J.F.N. Lawrence, who was one of the Governors of Brentwood School and a Chairman of the Justices. Notice the fox weathervane on the lantern which had a repeater inside the house. It is now a Fellowship House.

47. Returning to town via Ongar Road, the first building for many years was the Robin Hood & Little John public house, seen here about 1900, with, just beyond the fust five shops hereabouts newly eompleted. There are still empty building sites and nothing is on the right below the new Highwood Hospital wall, and no pavements have yet been laid. For many years R. White & Co. ofmineral water farne had a depot and stables here, bulk supplies being brought from London by steam wagon. Loeal deliveries were by a fine pair horse eart, the jingle of the trace ehains and of the glass ball stoppered bottles made a pleasant aeeompanirnent to the clip-dop of the horses hoofs along the streets.

48. A little farther along the same road. This eard, whieh was posted in 1907, has, apart from the dreadful condition of the road and paths, and vacant plots (where there are hedges still), not changed very materially in the interim. Tiffin's coaches and taxis are garaged on the right near the top next to a house that was forrnerly Franklin's Britannia photographic studio.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek