Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frank D. Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49. This pre-1912 card shows yet another vanished Brentwood public house: it is the former Rising Sun, the present building stands in what was the garden at the rear of the one pictured here. The ground on the right is now part of Western Avenue, formed about 1929. The old footpath across the Pennyloaf fields to Western Road is clearly visible, here again there was no footpath or kerbing at this date.

50. Few of today's Brentwood residents would ever believe that Burland Road could ever have looked as it does in this pre-1914 view card, or perhaps a little earlier. Only the first two houses appear to have been built. The meadow on the right formed part of the Victoria Works and land (see next card). It was used for experiments and testing of motor mowers of which some few were manufactured until the works closed down about the end of 1922.

BURGfSS & KEY'S

REAPINC MACHI E MA U,ACT

B R ENTWOO D,_ E 5 SEX.

51. This card, which is unfortunately imperfect, has been made from a trade card, but no other view of the Victoria Works has yet come to light. The business began in mid-Victorian days by a Mr. Burgess with Sir Reuben Key to make reaping machines of which they were pioneers. Later it traded as W.I. & C.T. Burgess & Co. The invention of the patented self-binder in America practical1y killed this side of the business, and though hay presses, cotton gins and latterly motor mowers were introduced, its old prosperity was never regained. The buildings were taken over about 1923 by A.E. Symes Ltd., a large London building contractor. This view is from the corner of North Road; note the pond.

Ongar Road Brentwoo~

-- --

52. The top end of Ongar Road as it used to be; the Cast1e Inn aside, little else now remains. Shops have replaced the cottages Nos. 1-15 right; the Victoria Works occupied the land from the Cast1e Inn to Burland Road. Left, all has been cleared as far as the houses behind the poplar trees in front of Hagon's builders yard, later Henderson's garage, to make the entrance in 1938 to the City Coach Co's head office (now Thermos) and depot (now Eastern National) in 1952. The railings left were in front of the old Drill Hall, now in process of conversion toan indoor shopping centre after previous use as a warehouse for Eade's Ltd.

53. This pre-1912 view of the top end ofWeald Road, as seen from the land where the Council houses now stand, includes another long vanished Brentwood public house: the Spotted Dog, kept in its later years by Harry Simmons, who was also a cartage contractor, with tip earts used by the Council and loeal builders. The alley way leading through to Tower Hili ean be seen between the first house and Simmons gates.

54. View from near the junction of Weald Lane with Tower Hill looking towards South Weald. In the background to the right is the lane which is now Park Road before any houses had been built. The land on the left is now covered by the houses in Sir Frances Way and on the right is Bardswell Close. The photographer placed himself on top of the bank where the last of the Council houses now stand.

55. This postcard, which was posted in 1924, is of much earlier date because the Baptist Church, which was built in 1915, stands where the wooden photographic studio can be seen on the corner of Chase Road, now Kings Chase, which is now also built over. On the left is Fielder's brewery and opposite is a pantile roofed property always known as the Shanty which was an upholsterers for many years. Visiting fairs and circuses used the vacant land, hence the name Fairfield Road where the Council houses were built. The brewery was converted into shops, hut the Brewery Tap is still there on the corner of Primrose Hill.

56. Here is Lower Kings Road about 1900. On the left is Sinclair's leather and saddlery shop, Robinson's retail corn stores - rus grinding and provender mill across the road. Next are Bowtell, plumber and decorator, and other small shops. The Parade branches to the left where the bridge approach commences. None of these premises exist today, See also the next two cards.

King's Raad & Vlarley Raad Breniwocd.

57. A later view of almost the same area as in the last card in which Robinson's mill (later Matthews) and the Railway Hotel - between which the entry to Railway Square formerly went - ean be seen more clearly. These buildings have all been swept away, and shops, offices and a new Railway Tavern now cover the site. The front greengrocery cart is from Baverstock's shop on the right over the bridge. The other cart belongs to MI. Gilder in the same line of business, who travelled the town for many many years.

58. A later view showing the new station building erected when the line to Shenfield was doubled. Part of The Parade and the Parade Cinema are on the left, and right is the London Cooperative Seciety's coal office and the council yard all of which have now gone for new development. On the right stands the new Pegasus House behind which is a vast car park where the goods depot formerly lay. Palmer the boot repairer, in the white apron, would re-sole gentlemens boots for 3/3d (now 16p) or heel them for I/3d (6p). Notice all the trees in the last view have gone.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek