Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Frank D. Simpson
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3053-0
:   112
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

ë:he ßands/anc/, Shenfie/d Common.

79. This is the elegant bandstand which adorned Shenfield Common many years ago. It stood in the hollow below the mill pond which made a natural arena for listeners. The hollow had been forrned by people helping themselves to the good gravel obtainable until the common came under the care of Conservators who introduced some regulation. The view is taken looking east across to Ingrave Road; the avenue leading to Thorndon Park down the centre of the common is visible also,

80. This is a 1928 view card of part of the mill pond, so named because two windmills formerly stood on the other side of the road where The Chase is now. All drivers of horse-drawn vehicles took the opportunity to refresh their animals if they were in the vicinity of the pond. This is Mr. Cowlings milk cart at the pond. Behind is a Dodge truck of MI. Upton, who had a butchers business near the top of High Street, which passed to the London Cooperative Society when he retired.

81. This postcard of 1909 shows the third pond on Shenfield Common. It was made by a schoolmaster at the Grammar School named How, about 1860. For many years it was known as How's Folly. Most of the houses a!ong this part of Ingrave Road were built around the turn of the century with an occasional older one here and there, including a smal! farm used by a pig dealer for a long time. At some time a railing was placed alongside the pond which has now ceased to exist for some years.

82. Farther along the Ingrave Road is the Fountain Head which was only a tiny beerhouse at the time of this photograph when there were only a few cottages in the area. It is now modernised to meet the needs of the great increase in population on the new estate which almost surrounds it. The fence on the right is part of Mortimers timber yard and saw mill which has traded here for many years. The road appears to be in a shocking state. The public house stands at the meeting point of three parishes:

Shenfield, Ingrave and Great Warley.

83. This interesting aerial view of Thorndon Hall shows the two subsidiary sections of the halllinked to the main building by curved corridors. The grand portico is on the south front. The hall was severely damaged by a disastrous fire in 1878. The property was never restored, Lord Petre transfering his household thereafter to Ingatestone Hall, which is still the family seat. The present conversion of the property into superior flats will no doubt assist in securing the well-being of this fine house for the future.

84. The north front of Thorndon Hall photographed in its semi-derelict state following the disastrous fire. The curved connecting corridors are clearly seen here, One of the wing sections served as the club house for the Thorndon Park Golf Club which has a fine course in the park. The edifice was constructed to designs by Thomas Paine.

85. This delightfullittle weather boarded timber built public house stood on the left of the Tilbury Road in Ingrave shortly before reaching the cricket common. It was known as the Maltsters Arms. It was one of Fielders' houses and at the time of the picture the licencee was Samuel Saunders. It was closed as such in the later 1920·s.

86. The Herongate cricket common as it appeared on a card of 1908, a very pleasant scene which has not changed very materially over the years. The large residence behind the green is Park House, home of the Rennie family for a number of years. The building on the left in the trees was converted into a motor garage and filling station about fifty years ago.

87. Herongate: the main Tilbury Road circa 1914 stilliooking very much a country lane. The gabled building is the Cricketers public house with its sign board. It closed in the 1920's to become Pardey & Johnsons grocery store. The white boarded building is the post office and left is part of the Peculiar Peoples Chapel which closed a few years ago.

88. A litt1e farther south on the same road as the last view looking towards Brentwood by the road on the left. In the centre is the oid village schoolroom, to the right is the Green Man Inn; its sign board ean clearly be seen. Herongate House stands in the trees right, and East Homdon reetory grounds are just behind the old signpost, which has clearly been made by a Ioeal eraftsman.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek