Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 2

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Frank D. Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4794-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. This postcard shows Kelvedon Hatch's other public house, the 'Eagle' after some refurbishment by Mann Crossmans after taking it over from Fielders of the Brentwood Brewery, via The Old Homchurch Brewery of Conron & Co.

30. Warescot Road looking towards its junction with Ongar Road photographed trom its original termination where the old einder path crossed the fields of flowers grown at Bishops Hall Farm to Hatch Road. Originally intended to link up with what is now King George's Road, a plan frustrated by the construction of the Bye-Pass Road, it remains a cul-de-sac, The tall chimney belongs to the Highwood Hospital.

o AL /1 LAUNDRY

31. Nearer the town, in Ongar Raad, is a portion of the farmer Royal Laundry premises about 1923 when the second bay was under construction. Notice the old wooden scaffolding then used. In front is a Dodge van when newly delivered. The chassis was supplied by Guy's Quick Service Garage (later Henderson's followed by Scott), the body was built locally by EIlis & Son of King Edward Road, see plate 11104: the lettering was by P. Littlewood whose work could be seen all over the town for many a year.

LATEST IMPROVEO GRASS MOWERS. :The "SPECIAL," Price 12 Gns.

! Til. ?? ~ ?.. -t., ???? U bNucllt ~t d~.;:; .. Co. h h.. ""'" u ??

~t::~et~~~:Ir~~;;';:'~:cb:;;'~~::;~ ~::~~

THE ?? SPECIAL" .'1::':<> MOWER 8c REAPER.

Pl1.co .E:15

W. J. & t T~'BiîRGÊSS~';:;s~Y lET, I

?.? BFt:ENT'W'OOD. ESSEX."

W J & C T BURGESS (L;~:~~;~~~~Y)

?? ?? . , ESSEX.

PATENT MOTOR LAWN MOWER

Air-cooled, 24-inch cut, ~55.

32. Still nearer the town was the works of Burgess & Co which occupied the whole of the east side from Burland Road to the Castle Inn. See plates 34 and 1151. This montage shows some of the products of that works. It closed circa 1922. Vast quantities of horseshoes were made here during the First World War for the military, waggon loads going away almost daily from the forges which one could see through the gate opposite the Victoria ArmsInn.

33. The administrative building of the former City Coach Co., which flourished until1952 when it was nationalised and merged into the Westcliff Motor Services, in turn combined with 'Eastern National', which still uses the premises of its subsidiary Brentwood Engineering Coy reached from North Road, the above building being acquired by British Thermos Ltd. The City Coaches enjoyed an immense goodwill, its brown and cream coaches will be remembered still by many with some nostalgia.

34. The Castle Inn in Ongar Road from a postcard viewed from the forecourt of the former Dril! Hall. It was earlier known as 'The Cricketers', but no explanation has been evinced for the change of name. At the re ar was a large barn used for storage by MI. Taylor of the second-hand furniture shop at 34 Ongar Road: also for a garage for his motor van which was one of the first to be used in the town.

35. An early view of the junction of Westbury Road with Kings Road which has not much changed. However, considerable changes have been effected on either side immediately out of this view.

36. The 'UP' side Booking Office at Brentwood station which received a direct hit from an enemy bomb during the 'blitz' requiring its total demolition and reconstruction. The new shops stand on the site of the trees to be seen in plate 1159: for a short time a Mr. Rendell had a small florist/garden shop here prior to moving to a site at the junction of Kings & Queens roads in the grounds of the Shrubbery.

37. A fine coloured postcard by Raphael Tuck of 1910 of a Great Eastern Railway train hauled by one of the famous 'Claud Hamilton' locomotives. It is seen passing the former gasworks which ceased to be used after the local company was acquired by the Gas Light & Coke Coy of London. Beyond to the left was Brown's brickfields and kilns, famous for its special shapes ofbricks, which closed about 1939.

38. Here is the little 'Simplex' petrol driven shunting engine which in 1922 released four heavy horses from their arduous duty of moving coal and other laden wagons into the private sidings at the maltings, the County Council yard and coal merchants depots: lines unsuitable for normallocomotives.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek