Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.L. Wakeling
Gemeente
:   Brightlingsea
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2520-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brightlingsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. On 26 December, 1912, the Empire Theatre opened in Station Road, Brightlingsea. With Mr. Harry Carr as General Manager, its full title was "The Empire Theatre of Pictures and Varieties'. With an entire change of pictures every Monday and Thursday, screenings were given nightly at 8 p.m., with a Saturday matinee at 3 p.m. Prices of admission were 3d. Front seats, 4d. Cane seating, 6d. Tip-ups, 9d. Plush tip-ups. A change of name, to the Regal Cinema, came about early in 1938. In December, 1964, the Regal Cinema closed for the last time as a place of public entertainment having been sold to the electronics firm of Ormandy and Stollery Limited. And soon the carpenters arrived to transform the prernises into workshops and offices,

10. On either side of 1900 sailmaking and shipchandlery dominated Brightlingsea's Waterside. Blyth Bros., E.A. Hibbs and Son, W.F. Pattison, Pannell and Hibbs, John R. Foot, A.W. Went are six prominent firrns that served a very large yachting station, which Brightlingsea had become, with upwards of one hundred yachts being laid-up locally in winter quarters. Waterside was also the home of Bridges and Son, blockmakers, and the yachtbuilders Albert Aldous, Robert Aldous, John James and Douglas Stone.

11. Number 39 New Street, Brightlingsea, in 1910, the haircutting and shaving saloon of Mr. William Wesley Folkard. In addition to his barber's duties, Mr. Folkard was the local Registrar of Marriages and the Assessor and Income tax collector. At number 47 was the Freemasons Tavern, proprietor Robert O. Barnard, now a private residence.

12. New Street, Brightlingsea, in 1901. Dominating this main thoroughfare from the town centre to the waterside is the Royal Hotel, which was opened just four years previously. Up to 1860 New Street was known as Waterside and was the linking road between the Hard and the Street, now Victoria Place and High Street.

Ladysmith Avenue, Brightlingsea.

13. Ladysmith Avenue, a residential thoroughfare developed at the turn of the century. Named after the town in Natal, South Africa, in which a number of Brightlingsea men served during the Boer War. Between the two World Wars and afterwards Ladysmith Avenue was the home of the Primitive Methodist Church, known locally as 'the Gooseberry Chapel' because of a practice of selling gooseberries there to raise church funds, but now demolished. Here was also the Mineral Water Works operated by Mr. F. Cracknell whose bottles, with their 'glarny' method of sealing, are still found and cherished by young people locally. Brightlingsea's Police Station has also been in Ladysmith Avenue since 1902. 'The Rammekens' (right), one-time residence of John Angier, master mariner, was named by him to recall his many visits to the Dutch anchorage of that name off Flushing.

ANCHOR HOTEL. 5RIGHTLINGSEA PROPRIETAR E. PERel'AL

14. The new Anchor Hotel on the waterfront at Brightlingsea was opened in 1903 with Mr. Ernest Percival as Proprietor, This handsome house, built in the timbered style, replaced a weather-boarded building lieeneed as an inn in 1805.

15. The Hard, Brightlingsea, where one fearful day in Match, 1883, large numbers of people gathered in vain for news of missing husbands, fathers and sons, Some stood in groups or paced imaginary deck's lengths, in spite of the cutting snow squalls. Some mounted the various accessible elevations, telescope in hand. All were awaiting the return of three of Brightlingsea's fishing fleet, the 'Recruit', the 'Conquest' and the Yarmouth lugger 'Mascotte', from the Terschelling oyster-grounds in the North Sea, But furious gales had done their worse and of the three ill-fated vessels not the least of traces has been since discovered. Nineteen men perished in the disaster, involving nineteen families with thirty-two children fatherless. In happier times the Hard is a colourful scene as both the professional and amateur mariner tends his craft for livelihood or recreation. For the Reverend Arthur Pertwee, Vicar of Brightlingsea, it was the venue for his monthly jottings 'Gossip from the Hard' from 1882-1917.

SPLASH POINT, BRIGHTUNGSEA.

16. Standing offshore by Splash Point is Bateman's Tower, a bathing hut built for Mr. John Bateman, seven times Brightlingsea's Mayor-Deputy, Erected in 1882, the Tower retained its conical cap until1940 when the local Royal Observer Corps removed it to facilitate the spotting of enerny aircraft. The Tower is said to be a fine example of the 'modern' use of Roman cement. It is now used as a starting hut for sailing races in the River Co1ne and Creekmouth organised by the Co1ne Yacht Club. The photograph, taken in July, 1932, just after the official opening of the West Marsh Pleasure Grounds, shows part of the concrete wall of over half a rnile in length starting from near Waterside and finishing at Bateman's Tower.

17. The early 1920's at All Saints' Church where the Lych-gate in memory of Canon Arthur Pertwee, Viear of Brightlingsea, from 1872 to 1917, had recently been dedicated by Canon Tollington, the Rural Dean, The Cinque Port coat of arms may be seen engraved on the structure. Canon Pertwee was deeply interested in the welfare of seafaring men. Even in his oid age he climbed the tower of All Saints' to give Iantern light to the fishing fleet entering the harbour. He devoted himself to the care of the siek and the poor. A cross which marks his grave in All Saints' churchyard is inscribed 'He walked with God'.

18. In January, 1887, Brightlingsea gained a new hotel - the Royal. Built for Mr. Fred Miller, Brewer, the Royal Hotel offered 'every home comfort, good stabling, a loek-up coach house and a porter who attended every train'. The proprietor, Mr. G. Ash, was also able to arrange guns and boats for local wildfowling. The Royal ceased to be a hotel in 1950.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek