Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.L. Wakeling
Gemeente
:   Brightlingsea
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2520-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brightlingsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Tuesday, November 12, 1918, and Brightlingsea celebrates the signing of the Armistice the previous day with services at All Saints' Church. The Procession in the aftemoon was one vast pilgrimage to the Parish Church and so large was the congregation there that those who could not get into the building joined in a great 'overflow' service outside. Leading the Procession were mounted Australian engineers from their Brightlingsea Training Depot.

30. Despite the quiet appearance of Brightlingsea's High Street circa 1905, Mrs. Julia Rawcliffe's Drapery and Millinery shop on the corner with John Street (late Hog Lane) is open for business. Next door at Albert Seaman's boot and shoe shop a customer bas left his bicycle against the shopfront while making a purchase. Ted Eade's baker's cart awaits the evening's bread in the road.

31. No sooner than the camera appears then out come the on1ookers in Brightlingsea's High Street about 1905. Edward Henry Eade, baker, moved his business into High Street, from Wellington Street, in 1893.

High Street, Brightlings~a.

32. A distinguished trio in Brightlingsea's High Street circa 1910. At number 47, Mr. George Angier, tailor; at number 51, DI. Edward Percival Dickin, physician and medical officer of health to the Urban District Council; and at number 53, Mr. Albert Aldous Jefferies, oyster merchant and Lloyds Agent. Opposite, the original entrance to Jacobe's Hall is blocked-in by Mr. George W. Crane's fruiters and confectionery shop.

33. The village Blacksmith, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea, in 1895. Demolished in 1910, the smithy served the local community for many years and, at the time of this photograph, was worked by Jesse Hili junior. Meantime, his father, Jesse Hili senior, operated the smithy in Church Road. Up to 1897 that part of Victoria Place in which the young Jesse's premises were sited was part of High Street. Next door was T .R. Mills, Clothier, Hatter and Outfitter to the local men -about- town.

??

34. Now seemingly abandoned waste land, in some instances as receptacles for household rubbish, Brightlingsea's oyster pits once played an important part in the local enterprise. Here were stored the oysters previously dredged from the Colne or the special fattening-grounds of the Pyefleet, to await cu stomers' orders and despatch elsewhere,

35. Ranks of yaehts laid up in their winter quarters along Easterly, in 1930. The 1920's and 1930's were the times when hundreds of Brightlingsea men went to sea, and yachting was a great loeal industry. And when the yards of Douglas Stone, John James and Robert Aldous, and the Syndicare mud berths, the Stage, Emanuel Griggs' ground, and the Cook Brothers', Wenloek Brothers' and E.A. Hibbs' mud berths were a forest of masts, From Fieldgate's Doek to the Ropewalk, the yaehts at rest swayed like growing wheat. Shown, left to right: S.Y. 'Elsie', S.Y. 'Vanda', M.Y. 'Anne Marie', Sch. 'Tamesis', M.Y. 'Endymion', S.Y. 'Karen', S.Y. 'Titania', S.Y. 'Bronwen', S.Y. 'Strathspey', S.Y. 'EIfreda' and Sch. 'Grey Goose'.

36. A Whippet tank, which had been secured for the occasion by Commander R. Hart1and Mahon RN, was the centre of interest in the street procession which was the highlight of Brightlingsea's Peace Celebrations on July 19, 1919. Over four thousand flags, many bearing the arms of the Cinque Ports, decorated the town which was en-fete for the long-awaited celebrations. A programme of sports was carried out on Mr. Keeble's meadow near the railway station in the afternoon during which the Salvation Army band and the town band played selections of music, In the evening there was a fancy dress carnival, a procession through the principle streets and a bon-fire on West Marsh with rockets.

37. Members of the Naval Base were responsible for the construction of HMS 'Brightlingsea', a model battleship, which lead the procession on July 19, 1919, during the town's Peace Celebrations. Next day the men of the Base entertained local children to tea on St. Osyth Stone. Transported to the Stone by motor 1aunches, the children and accompanying adults enjoyed 'all the fun of the fair' until darkness brought proceedings to a close. While the young people were the guests of the Navy, over three hundred adults, including discharged, demobilised and serving soldiers and sailors were the guests at a 'free and easy' evening in the Empire Theatre by invitation of Mr. Thomas Bartlett Howard. As part of the loeal Peace Celebrations, the President of the Worknien's Institute (to be known after the event as the Thomas Howard Institute) was handed deeds of the freehold house and premises of 22 Upper Park Road and a piece of land near the waterworks for use as a rille-range. In an earlier life 22 Upper Park Road was the White Horse Inn.

38. Heroney Wood, Brightlingsea, the home of the heron. Situated on the road linking the twin manors of Brightlingsea and Moverons, Heroney Wood is also known locally as Thicks Wood.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek