Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.L. Wakeling
Gemeente
:   Brightlingsea
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2520-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brightlingsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Having been closed for almost six years, Brightlingsea's Bayard Recreation Ground was re-opened to the public on April 7, 1921. Present to forrnally deciare the 'Ree' open was Councillor W.R. Seabrooke, chairman of Brightlingsea Urban District Council. The First World War was in its infancy when the military authorities requisitioned the local reereatien ground for use as a drill ground and later for a tented camp. And two years were needed after the cessation of hostilities to make the playing areas fit for sports again. The need for a horne for both football and cricket in Brightlingsea was appreciated during the late 1880's by a small band of sporting enthusiasts. Meantime the periodical contests at both games continued on Hurst Green and elsewhere locally. Then came the news, in November 1890 that an approach for fmancial help to Mr. M. Bayard Brown, an American millionaire, who had made his home in the River Colne aboard his yacht 'Valfreyia', had proved successful. This help was in the form of a promised f.2S0 donation towards the provision of a recreation ground, later to be increased, in May, 1891, to f.600 which met the purchase price of a field of six acres and three rods with tSO to spare. A further donation of t 100 from MI. Bayard Brown covered the cost of planting and turfing the ground. As a compliment to the nationality of Brightlingsea's generous benefactor, July 4, 1893, was chosen as 'opening day', In 1897 the custody of the Bayard Recreation Ground was transferred to the Brightlingsea Urban District Council.

40. The Deputy and Lady Deputy of the Cinque Port Liberty of Brightlingsea, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bartlett Howard, with collectors on Geranium Day, 1929. On this special day each year street and door-to-door collections are made in aid of the National Institute for the Blind. The picture shows the group assembled at Brightlingsea's War Memorial in Victoria Place.

41. Providing frequent services from Brightlingsea to Clacton, Walton and Harwich, from 1919, was a fleet of Silver Queen motor omnibusses. This 'double decker' is seen in Victoria Place completing a journey from Clacton in the summer of 1919.

42. A Silver Queen char-a-banc at Clacton prior to returning to Brightlingsea in the 1920's. The maximum permitted speed of these vehicles was twelve miles per hour.

43. Mr. H.E. Phillips at the door of his shop fronting Jacobe's Hall in 1915. Mr. Phillips took over the business of G.W. Crane in September, 1914. He moved into his own premises, next door, in 1919, when Crane's shop was removed during Mr. Henry Havelock's restoration of Jacobe's Hall.

44. Brightlingsea Fire Brigade, in 1911, was under the contra I of Brightlingsea Urban District Council with its Clerk, Mr. W.1. Osborn, as Captain. His Lieutenant was Mr. A.F. Whislay, an engineer and metal werker in the town whose business at Waterside was established in 1873. The Firemen were Messrs. H.V. Lord, J. Dines, F. Bell, R. Cooper, A.E. Mann, W. Copsey, H. Copsey, 1. Osborn, A. Austin, H. Barr, E. Angier and H. Fenn. In the event of a fire a person calling a fireman and obtaining his ticket was paid sixpence on delfvering the ticket to the Captain. A person giving a Brigade call on the first alarm at the Forrester's Hall was paid five shillings. To do this the glass in the alarm box was braken and the handle turned until a Fireman arrived.

H :gh Street, Brightlingsea

45. High Street, Brightlingsea, from Victoria Place, circa 1900. The town's principal thoroughfare, High Street, in 1897, lost its late Street Green area which becarne Victoria Place. Up to the coming of Ladysmith Avenue, in 1900, the way to Brightlingsea's Hard, by road, was via Church Road, Spring Road (a part of which is now Queen Street), The Street (now Victoria Place after a spell as High Street) and Waterside (now New Street for most of its length). Awaiting the afternoon's cu stomers in our picture are the drapers Joseph H. Barnes at numbers 52 and 53, Joseph Bagley, tailor and outfitter, at 54 and the International Stores at 55.

46. Despite being captioned Brightlingsea High Street this view is mainly of Victoria Place in 1905, with High Street beyend St. James's Chapel-of-Ease, centre. Today it is the site of Brightlingsea's War Memorial.

47. The 'Swan Deeps' circa 1905, that part of Victoria Place and High Street to which gathered each evening Brightlingsea's mariners seeking berths in the ocean-racing yachts, Opposite, on the corner of N ew Street, stands the imposing premises of J ohn Field and Son, Grocers and Drapers, who were also the proprietors of the Hurst Green Stores.

48. Fred Went, stationer, bookseller, printer, bookbinder, advertising, insurance and news agent, established his business in 1887 on the corner of High Street and Tower Street, Brightlingsea. And in keeping with the times his premises were given the name Victoria House. Publisher and founder of the Brightlingsea Almanack, Advertiser, Tide and Time Table and Visitor's Guide Book, Mr. Went's shop was a veritable Aladdin's Cave of commodities. In addition to supplying daily and weekly newspapers, birthday, wedding and memorial cards and booklets, he retailed all kinds of tobacco and cigars, as well as pouches, pipes, knives, walking-sticks, work-boxes, writing-desks and artists' materials, tennis and seaside requisites. Mr. Went's proclamations announced that yacht and ship orders were promptly executed and schools, clubs and 'the trade' supplied.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek